Temporary Archives >> 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Pages: 1
Idaho F-250 Driver
Member # 18186
Reged: 12/09/01
Loc: Boise, ID
Energy Release Oil Additive- for diesels?
#618198 - 01/13/02 07:47 PM

Am getting ready to change oil in the F-250 and wondered if anyone had used "Energy Release" oil additive in their diesel powered equipment. I have used it for several years in my gas burners and it has certainly had no ill effects and not sure about positive, but-- they run strong well after 140K so far in my experience.

Is there any other oil additive you recommend? I will be using Delo400 15-40 oil, and am adding Power Service fuel additive.

Here is a quote from the Energy Release website (www.energyrelease.com)

"ER is a pure concentrate that is not diluted with oil. ER is a liquified chemical formula designed to be added to your existing oil to improve and protect moving metal parts. ER is activated by heat and friction to protect against wear created by the moving parts in your engine. ER is not a typical oil additive, but the first "true" and "original" Antifriction Metal Conditioner. ER significantly smooths rough surfaces of metal by modifying the first few microns of the metal surface. This unique chemical process results in stronger and smoother metal parts When ER is added, and friction and wear are reduced in any vehicle or equipment that has moving parts, any of the following may occur: increased performance, improved combustion efficiency, increased fuel economy, reduced operating temperatures, quieter operation, reduced oil consumption, extended oil life, easier cold starts and extended vehicle life."

Dave Haven
Member # 151
Reged: 10/23/00
Loc: Near Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Energy Release Oil Additive- for diesels? new
#620262 - 01/15/02 07:37 PM

Pardon my skepticism, but it sounds like "snake oil" to me. I bought my '89 with 123K miles on the odometer. I've never added anything to my oil - not even oil between 3000-mile oil changes. It runs as well at 198,800 as it did when I bought it. (Actually, it runs much better with the turbo than it did before.)
My contention is that the oil manufacturers would add the stuff to their oil if it made a significant difference in engine longevity.
FWIW.
DH
_________________________________-

Idaho F-250 Driver
Member # 18186
Reged: 12/09/01
Loc: Boise, ID
#620642 - 01/16/02 02:03 AM

Hi Dave,

I have often wondered the same thing... no offense taken! I have used the Energy Release product but "hell who knows"... you may be right on the snake oil. I kinda figured there would be 1/2 dozen guys pop up with different recommendations for additives,but as there have not been any comments, maybe jus' plain ol' Delo 400 will do the trick?

Like you, I've often wondered about these additives and why the oil makers wouldn't add it if it was beneficial. Would sell more oil, you would think.

Thanks for the note.

John

forddiesel73
Member # 19295
Reged: 01/24/02
#629864 - 01/25/02 02:35 PM

I have seen several good oil additives on the market and I am a dealer for one of them, but you are most likely not gonna find them at your local autoparts stores....The 2 best oil fortifiers in my opinion are JB justice brothers and SFR out of Butte MT. Both of these additives have additional detergents and friction modifiers in them. Both of these additives treat the oil and will have to be replenished each oil change. I advise staying away from products that treat the metal as they usually have pfte or teflon which when burned creates a lot of carbon inside your engine. Both of these products have a thin viscosity and leave little residue when burned. I will however advise against the use of these products in high mileage engines that already have an oil consumption problem. These products are designed to increase the life of a healthy engine. If you've got worn rings, bearings, valveguides...etc.. these products aren't going to help you out. I am a dealer for the sfr products here is there website http://www.sfrcorp.com/Products%20contents.html
however I believe that the justice brothers products are just as good and they cost less

Pages: 1

Contact Us TheDieselStop.Com

UBB.threads™ 6.3

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective companies.
All else is Copyright 1997-2001 TheDieselStop.Com.

TheDieselStop.Com Privacy Statement
Advertising on TheDieselStop.Com

This site is in no way affiliated with Ford Motor Company or Navistar International Corporation.