Temporary Archives >> General Diesel

Pages: 1
dondiesel444
Member # 23441
Reged: 08/02/02
Loc: Andes, NY
need some dt-466 info please
#1382562 - 09/12/03 06:36 PM

can someone tell me the torque value for the valve cover bolts, there are six that go in the middle of the cover.

also can some give me a quick overview of whats involved in adjusting the valves on a dt-466?? this is the first engine I've owned that has mechanical lifters and requires valve adjustment, I think...

thanks

Kenworth
Member # 1796
Reged: 01/07/01
Loc: British Columbia Southern Corner of the Westcoast
Re: need some dt-466 info please new
#1382598 - 09/12/03 07:05 PM

Any International dealer should have a repair manual with the torque specs you need and the valve adjustment specs or take the truck to the dealer and have them do it.

KW

L. Wilkinson
Member # 11879
Reged: 03/11/01
Loc: Abbotsford, Canada
#1382633 - 09/12/03 07:32 PM

KW, that hardly helps anything!
Exhaust is 0.025"
Intake depends on model and S/N range, see detail-

D466 before S/N 54341 0.020"
D466 after S/N 54341 0.025"
DT466, DT466B, DTI466B before S/N 110914 0.020"
DT466B, DTI466B after S/N 110914 0.025"
DT466C, DTI466C after S/N 400-001 0.025"

Adjusting any inline six is dead easy, as they all pretty much have the same firing order, 1 5 3 6 2 4. Pull the cover, put a turning device on the crank and rotate in direction of rotation. Watch for a cylinder "on the rock". That means the exhaust valve will be just closing as an intake is just opening. Document this cylinder, say for argument it happens to be #1. What you do is look at the mating cylinder which is #6 and adjust the valves there. Next in the firing order would be #5 on "the rock" and you would adjust #2. So you have a pairing off of cylinders 1/6, 2/5, 3/4, and you adjust the cylinder not "on the rock" as you go through two revolutions basically.
This may seem a bit overkill, but if you learn this method, it works on any 4 stroke engine, as they always have one cylinder scavenging, and the mating one approaching firing. Thusly, you won't have to rely on special instructions from different manufacturers.

Sorry, can't help on valve cover bolt torque, but you can't go to far wrong if the cover is square and you don't overtighten.
Have fun, Lorne

dondiesel444
Member # 23441
#1382690 - 09/12/03 08:18 PM

Hey thanks a lot thats great info!!

I took my valve cover off b/c it was leaking, the gasket came out in like 5 pieces. I am waiting for the valve cover gasket to come tomorrow. I figure while I have the valve cover off, I might as well adjust the valves, I've had the truck about 15K miles and have never adjusted them, I have no idea the last time they were ever adjusted!! I'm not sure of my engine serial #, where would I look to find that?? My truck is a 1991 mechanical.

I'm gonna try and tackle this tomorrow, I'll report back!! Unless there is anything else I should know before I start??

Kenworth
Member # 1796
#1382719 - 09/12/03 08:39 PM

It is a good idea what you are doing because you can spot any future problems atleast once its done you know when todo it next time. I know at the diesel shop they have saved a few people money and extra headaches by spotting weak valve springs,loose keepers or keepers on the verge of popping.

I imagine the original gasket was cork thats probably well cooked to the engine or the cover but my diesel shop buddy showed me this cats azz gasket removal pad that you chuck into a die grinder. I used it on my 7.3 when I installed the the oil pan it took the sufaces down to clean metal without gouging the surface.

If you do your valve adjustment make sure you got a good quality feeler guage set and a heavy flex bar to roll the engine over or get a helper to bump the engine over with starter.

KW

french277
Member # 32040
Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: wisconsin / paris france
#1382976 - 09/12/03 11:29 PM

yep that is the corret step for both intake and exhaust valves and i belive that is cold setting that mean coolant temp less than 140 degrees(f) and the valve cover bolts useally at 15 ft lbs setting but do a little each time start with snung then go up about 7 1/2 or 8 ft lbs first then go 15 in cross bolt pattern like "X" and the valve adjustment mileage useally run from 30,000 to 50,000 miles depend on useage but i know new dt466 go much as 75k to 100k before touching valves so and what lorne describe it how do set the valves he is dead on track and i do the same thing in line engines but one more trick is add chalk line on crankshaft pully or damper one of two then mark it about 1/3 way down the crank each way so it will match then when turn the crank over it will line up pretty fast there and when do the adjusting nuts on rockers make sure you toqure it good it will hold much as 60 or so ftlbs on nut itself i keep it about 45 and work fine for me and one more warning when baring the dt 466 mech pump make sure the fuel shut off at off postion other wise if use the starter to bump it it can light off ( take off) so play it safe with it and one more thing make sure the crossover pipe hose connetion is clean and tight the dt do put out pretty good boost pressure

merci , marc

dave1957
Member # 19527
Reged: 02/02/02
#1382977 - 09/12/03 11:29 PM

Don the torque value on the old stlye rocker covers is only around 25inlb's if I remember correctly. Its very easy to have one of these covers leak if its not seated correctly. Make sure it goes down in the rear correctly or it will leak. If you havent done so I would recomend pulling the doghouse cover from inside the cab.

As far as valve adj Lorne's method will work fine or you can use the Int method.

Valves are numbered 1 thru 12 with #1 being at the front of the engine.

Rotate eng damper till notch is at O deg (TDC)
at this time either #1 or number #6 piston will be at TDC (rockerarms loose)
If cyl 1 rockers are both loose adjust valves 1,2,3,6,7,10
you would then rotate engine 360 deg. and adj 4,5,8,9,11,12
Adjustment can started either at 1 or 6 TDC doesn't matter.

All lash settings are now .025 (old ones were changed).

dondiesel444
Member # 23441
#1383222 - 09/13/03 06:18 AM

thanks for the advice.

My old valve cover was leaking worst on the back side. yeah I took out the dog house and pulled the valve cover off into the cab, much easier that way. The old valve cover bolts were pretty loose, especially the back two, so I wasnted to be sure to get the torque right when I put them back in to prevent future leaks. There are 6 short bots that go through the center of the valve cover...

Dave, I'm just comparing methodes here, with yours I'd only have to rotate the engine 2 times??

I've never done this before, please tell me which method is easiest and less likely for me to screw up

dave1957
Member # 19527
#1383246 - 09/13/03 07:17 AM

Don,
What ever seems easier for you. The biggest factor will be how you bar the eng. I usually bar them at the Alt. pulley with 15/16 socket and long 1/2 ratchet. Sometimes you must apply some downward force to the alt belt with your hand to keep it from slipping. If you can keep an eye on the valves as they go into overlap go for it. If its difficult to bar over just get the damper mark up by turning it from underneath at the damper bolts. Do remember that your adjustments will probally be small. If you have to make a lot of turns on a particular valve step back and double check yourself. After you adjust one you can put a small mark on the adj with a marking pen or white out if it will help. You might find all you exhaust valves are loose and your intakes slightly tight or vice versa, hard to say.
Good luck Dave

dondiesel444
Member # 23441
#1383797 - 09/13/03 05:18 PM

well, I got the valves adjusted and the valve cover back on.

It was pretty easy, 8 of the 12 valve needed adjustment, and it was very small adjustments. I had the hardest time tightening the nuts back up, I kept tightening them and then the valve would be adjusted tooo tight, until I got the feel of how much to tighten them with the box wrenck/screwdriver before I put the torque wrench on it.

Also, 25in/lbs felt too loose for the valve cover, the bolts were a lot tighter than that when I took them off, so I went with 12 ft/lbs, I did it in two steps, first I did 8ft/lbs and then 12. I HOPE it doesnt leak...the previous leak was pretty bad, but the old gasket was in pretty poor shape, I'll have to drive it around and see if it still leaks.

Now I have to fix a PITA exhaust leak, where the "down pipe" and the turbo connect

Kenworth
Member # 1796
#1383821 - 09/13/03 05:34 PM

With valve cover gaskets I usually tighten them down snug if it leaks tighten it a little bit more, did you use a cork or neoprene gasket ?

On our Lehman Fords they use a cork gasket the sob leaks like a seive even with a new gasket so the old man got Poed and goed the thing with RTV. We had the torque specs it was torqued down to proper specs and the surfaces were clean but it still weeped but the silicone cured it.

KW

dave1957
Member # 19527
#1383979 - 09/13/03 08:03 PM

Sorry about the rocker cover torque. I am still kinda having a brain fart over what it is exactly. If the cover is properly seated it shouldn't leak provided it isn't bent up. If for some reason it does leak don't tighten it up any more. It probally isn't seated down and tightening it up won't seat it. If you crank it down when it's not seated it will tend to distort the cover.

dondiesel444
Member # 23441
#1384155 - 09/13/03 10:23 PM

I'm pretty sure it's seated correctly. I used a cork gasket, it was all that was avalibe. I RTV'ed it up some, hopefully that will prevent any leaks. I did make the bolts tighter installing the cover than they were when I removed it. When I took it off, all the bolts were diffrent, the rearmost one was only finger tight. The bolts go through the center of the cover, and have a rubber washer the sits inside a metal cup/washer, there are 6 of them. We'll see if it leaks tomorrow...

Kenworth
Member # 1796
#1384206 - 09/13/03 10:54 PM

A little bit of RTV goes a long way it doesn't take much just enough to seal up the small gaps then the oil should swell the gasket a bit and the leaks stop. Does your engine viberate quite a bit the truck with the DT360 I was driving you let it idle and the whole cab viberates.

When tightening valve covers use a short handle wrench so you can't get much torque on the bolts, my buddy that works at the diesel shop says use a combination wrench to tighten the covers. He's right you can over torque them with a ratchet if you want to use a ratchet use a 1/4 drive. I never did look at a 466 valve cover that closely if its got hold down bolts down the center its just like a 71 series detroit.

KW

Pages: 1

Contact Us TheDieselStop.Com

UBB.threads™ 6.3

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective companies.
All else is Copyright 1997-2001 TheDieselStop.Com.

TheDieselStop.Com Privacy Statement
Advertising on TheDieselStop.Com

This site is in no way affiliated with Ford Motor Company or Navistar International Corporation.