Temporary Archives >> General Diesel

Pages: 1
tiggerpoz
Member # 39197
Reged: 02/10/04
Anti-Cavitation Coolant Additives
#1647738 - 02/12/04 03:52 PM

I had never heard of Anti-cavitation coolant additives until I began considering buying a new F250SD 6.0 Diesel. I discovered this site & have learned a lot from knowledgeable people here.
Reading here that the additive is a must to prevent cavitation damage in diesel engines, I assumed that was true for ALL diesel engines, & began to worry about my two farm-tractor diesel engines. The owners' manuals say nothing about this cavitation problem, but there are a lot of things they don't say. Searching on-line for anti-cavitation additives, I found the DIS (Diesel Injection Service)site. Clicking 'Products' I found the Motorcraft section: http://www.dieselpage.com/mcraft.htm where I read that anticavitation additive VC8, which used to be FW16, is NOT NEEDED in models 2002 & up. Is this correct? Are the older Ford diesels the only diesels for which cavitation is a concern? Do any other diesel engines besides the pre-'02 Fords need anti-cavitation additives? What makes one engine prone to cavitation while another is not? How are they different?

This site is great!!!! I hope to be able to add something useful to others at some point.
Max

Ford_Forgotton
Member # 26408
Reged: 11/11/02
Loc: I hate New Orleans
Re: Anti-Cavitation Coolant Additives new
#1647781 - 02/12/04 04:23 PM

Ford, chevy and dodge and all the major diesel engine maunfacturers all have some form of anti-cavitation additive.

The newest of the new trucks use a type of antifreeze that has the additive in it naturally and you dont need additional checkups like you do with pre 2002 vehicles.

Im not sure in what year diesel engine designers discovered cavitation and how to prevent it. 80's? earlier? i dont know.

waandrews
Member # 29316
Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: Stillwater, OK
#1649975 - 02/13/04 05:37 PM

Starting in late 2002, the PSD came with "Gold" coolant. It's good for 5 years/100K miles and needs no additives (sca's). The 99 thru 2001 with the "green" coolant needs the VC8/FW 16/FW15/DCA4 sca to prevent cavitation. Also remember that "plain old Prestne in the yellow jug is NOT OK for PSD's." It has to be low silicate coolant and formulated for diesels. Take that for what it's worth....

My neighbor has a '97 PSD and last month I saw him out there working on his truck, so I wander over to see what's up and he's filling the radiator with Prestone from a yellow jug !!! I say, "Phil, is that stuff OK?" and he says, "Sure. It's all I ever used." This seems wrong to me, but I say no more. A few days later I check out the 94-97 forum and seems that over there they all use Prestone from the yellow jug and no sca !!

So, I guess that not all diesels need the same attention that 99-02 PSD's do? If the manual doesn't mention it, then I'd bet it's not needed. The problem is worse with high rpm's. Tractor rpm's may be low enough that it's not such a problem? Tractors also don't accelerate like a truck does. Who knows? I thought I'd share this anecdote.

away_822
Member # 133
Reged: 04/02/99
Loc: Aledo Tx. USA
#1650039 - 02/13/04 06:24 PM

waandrews,
Can you point me in the direction where using the plain ole yellow jug Prestone is not ok for PSD's?

I checked the Prestone website, and unless they have changed the formula, it said it met the Ford requirement in my manual. Granted that was some time ago.

And yes I do add the DC4A/FW15/16 whatever they are calling it nowdays.

Not calling you out but if you have some updated info I may need to take the three gallons of Prestone I have back and get something else.

Ok glad I got here before too many people saw my error. I found carpentractor's website and I completely misread what he had written about the plain ole yellow jug Prestone. I was correct in that it meets the Ford specs but it is a high silicate anti freeze. Guess I am off to Pep Boys for a credit. Geez that really @#$%# when you trust the manufacturer's statements but have to be a friggin chemist to know it really isn't suitable.

Edited by away_822 (02/13/04 07:40 PM)

rather_be_stroken
Member # 33008
Reged: 06/28/03
Loc: Evergreen,Colorado
#1650071 - 02/13/04 06:40 PM

Contact Smokey Wren, he is better at the facts but he saved me because I was going to use Preston until he helped me out. Basically you need low silacate anti freeze and regular Preston isn't.

batfish
Member # 33752
Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Spokane,Wa.
#1650313 - 02/13/04 09:23 PM

I have been using the John Deere green tractor antifreeze. Its low silicate and pre-charged. Its good for 5,000 hrs for tractors anyway.

waandrews
Member # 29316
Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: Stillwater, OK
#1651213 - 02/14/04 01:50 PM

"Plain old Prestone in the yellow jug is NOT OK for PSD's" is mantra from Smokey Wren. That's probably one of the first things I ever picked up on this site.

There are some good threads in the 7.3 engine and powertrain forum on other types of coolants and sca's. Seems things like DCA2/Pencool/"The Chevy Stuff" can be mixed with the "Ford Stuff" and still do OK. Doesn't mess up the test strips as bad as once thought. Hmmm?

For simplicity and consistency, I'll stick with the Motrcraft coolant (from Ford dealer)and use test strips and add DCA4 sca (from Fleetguard via Geno's Garage) until the warranty is up. Then I'll go to gold coolant, if I still have the truck then.

To quote that great American, Homer Simpson, "Go with what you know!"

tiggerpoz
Member # 39197
Reged: 02/10/04
#1652049 - 02/14/04 11:29 PM

Thanks to all for your informative responses! I took the advice to check
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthrea...rt=all&vc=1
A great discussion of coolants over there that clears up a lot of questions for me.

Also, I've found out elsewhere that not all diesel engines have the cavitation problem potential. It seems that all "Wet Sleeve" diesel engines (I think this includes all pick-up sized & larger engines) DO have potential cavitation problems, but Non wet-sleeve engines, like the one in my 40HP New Holland tractor, and other relatively small engines of its ilk, do not. So I don't have to worry about the tractors, & when I get my diesel pick-up I'll now be well informed on coolant requirements.

Max

Pages: 1

Contact Us TheDieselStop.Com

UBB.threads™ 6.3

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective companies.
All else is Copyright 1997-2001 TheDieselStop.Com.

TheDieselStop.Com Privacy Statement
Advertising on TheDieselStop.Com

This site is in no way affiliated with Ford Motor Company or Navistar International Corporation.