Temporary Archives >> Towing and Hauling

Pages: 1
mismit
Member # 25453
Reged: 10/14/02
Loc: Loveland, CO
Installing 7 Pin Plug In Truck Box
#1004694 - 01/10/03 12:20 PM

Getting ready to set up the electrical hookup in the box of my '02 truck for my slidein. Does anybody have any tips as far as running power and or doing this job period? I'm thinking I'll run power straight from the battery, through an isolator and then obviously to the connection in the bed. But what about other lines like running lights, brakes etc? Is it alright to simply tap into the trailer package line? Also, on the isolator. Where exactly does the third line hook into to shut off the power? Thanks for any and all help.

Wombat
Member # 5368
Reged: 02/13/00
Loc: Goose Creek, SC, USA
Re: Installing 7 Pin Plug In Truck Box new
#1004707 - 01/10/03 12:29 PM

I don't know about the isolator deal but I ran 6 and 7-way outlets in my bed for gooseneck purposes. I just tapped into the 7-way trailer outlet. If you're going to have a slide-in and trailer at the rame time, you may have to be careful with how much amperage you draw with all the running lights (assuming you have clearance lights on the slide-in). I think you'll be fine though.

I mounted the outlets on the left rear bed post and ran the wires behind the taillight. Yours will probably be different for the slide-in but you can view the photo of it at the link below.

mismit
Member # 25453
#1004723 - 01/10/03 12:39 PM

Nice setup Wombat. I have to put my plug up near the front of the box though. Guess that was another thing I was wondering about. If I were to simply tap into the trailer wiring, I don't think I'd need the isolator. But I don't know that for sure either. Also, I am a little concerned about the amperage. Not being an electrical expert by any means. My concern comes mainly from the literature that came with my camper. I don't have it in front of me at the moment but I believe it specifically called out for the power line to be of 6g wire and the ground to be of 4g wire. There definitely isn't anything this big in the trailer wiring package.

Wombat
Member # 5368
#1004892 - 01/10/03 02:16 PM

Thanks mismit.

If they are requiring 4 and 6-gauge wire for ground and power, then I would run those two seperately. Those are about the size of battery cables and you can get the wire at Home Depot. Make sure when you run it that you protect it from chaffing. I find it hard to believe that you are going to get 4 and 6-gauge wire into a 7-pin outlet. The largest I have ever seen is 10 gauge and it took up the whole socket.

Here is a LINK to Marks RV.com wiring page for 7-pin trailer harnesses. All domestic makes are on there in case one of your not-so-smart friends (i.e. chevy or dodge drivers just kidding) has a question too.

To get the total amperage required, just add up the amps required to power each light (I'm referring to running lights here). Example: each light requires 1 amp to run and you have 6 all together on the camper, that means the circuit (more like the fuse in the circuit since it will be the weakest link) has to be able to hold at least 6 amps. Go over a little for safety and you have a common 10-amp circuit. 14-gauge wire is pretty sufficent for that but I think 16-gauge would probably work. For distance running, make it 14-gauge to prevent voltage loss. The running lights should be installed in a "parallel" circuit. For an example click HERE. Clear as mud, I know. That's why I got out of electrical engineering and switched to computer science. Now I am switching to aviation (finally ).

You can get 6 and 7-wire "harnesses" from most RV dealers. The harness is nothing but 6 or 7 wires of the proper gauges and colors bundle-wrapped in a nice rubber sleeve. You could run some of that and just not use the constant power and ground wires in it. They sell it by the foot.

As for the appliances in the camper, that's where the heavy gauge wire comes in so you won't have to worry about anything in there.

TrailTrash
Member # 25603
Reged: 10/18/02
#1005023 - 01/10/03 03:56 PM

mismit,

Hey, we are both kind of starting from scratch here(again), but this is what I plan on for now. I was just going to tap into the factory seven pin wiring harness, with all seven including the "Hot" and ground. And have the second 7 pin in the left front of the bed.

Then, add (in the truck bed)a Anderson 50 amp plug from the truck batteries to the camper batteries, for a second power and gound. This should give you the larger cabling you want.
http://www.solar-electric.com/hardware---wire-anderson-connectors.html (I think you can use any of these, I just happen to have a 50 amp set on hand) This will be hooked thru an isolator or manual switch or battery seperator. http://www.surepower.com/separator.html I'm not sure which I will use yet.

When the Anderson switch is disconnected, or isolated, you will still be getting some current to your batteries thru the 7 pin.

Hope this helps a little.
I have the 7 pin to Ford color code here, if you need it.
The Hot wire should already be isolated(disconnected when the key is off) in the trucks 7 pin connector.

Later,
BRC

Bigfoot62
Member # 27757
Reged: 12/23/02
Loc: Hornbeck, Louisiana, USA
#1005332 - 01/10/03 08:02 PM

Hey mismit,
I'll give you an easy alternative to your question about wiring in a camper plug. DON'T do it! Measure how much cable you'll need to go from the existing 7-wire plug under your bumper to where your slide-in pigtail will reach. Go to a local truck parts dealer(the really big trucks) or a RV dealer and buy that length of 7-wire cable. Get yourself a male and female connector and there you go. Build yourself an extension cord! Mine is only about 3'. I pull goosenecks. Just drop the end with the male plug down between the tailgate and bed - and plug it in. No cutting holes in the truck bed. No splicing into the wiring harness. Your truck should already have the "hot circuit" and isolator to charge your camper battery. My '96 did. Hope this helps.

wittmeba
Member # 11912
Reged: 03/12/01
Loc: Roanoke, Va
#1005708 - 01/10/03 11:30 PM

I didnt want to tap into the existing factory harness and didnt want any 2" holes in the bed so here is what I did:

http://members.aol.com/wittmeba2/images/PlugInBed.jpg
http://members.aol.com/wittmeba2/images/PlugInBedBumper.jpg

Gooch
Member # 463
Reged: 04/06/99
Loc: Alaska
#1005877 - 01/11/03 12:56 AM

I have to agree with Bigfoot62...but I did something a little different too, becuse I pull a boat that needs lights/power also.

No need to cut into the existing wiring and risk failures. As Bigfoot said get some 7-wire "trailer wire" and run an extension to the camper. You can run the wire under the truck and come up between the bed and cab, or just lay the wire in the bed of the truck. Put the appropriate connector on the camper end.

Now the trick is to splice the other end of the camper's wiring into the back of the 7-pin along with the existing wires. No need to cut any wires. Take the existing 7-pin apart and tie in there. Now you'll have two wires at each connection within the 7-pin harness. You can solder them if you like. The big advantage is that now you can still use the 7-pin like you always did for the boat or whatever. Plus it's clean, reliable, and accessable to fix if necessary.

mismit
Member # 25453
#1005980 - 01/11/03 03:15 AM

TrailTrash, yep, it figures, just when I get one truck setup the way I want it. Then I gotta do another one. Seems like my '97 was easier for whatever reason. Then again it could be the fact that my '97 didn't cost anywhere near what my '02 did. I'm probably more afraid of screwing something up on the '02 just because of that LOL!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into to that approach. I'm still wondering if the factory wiring would be adequate enough to meet my power needs. Other then charging the camper battery while underway. I wouldn't have any other substantial power requirements. But, that charging of the battery is the main reason I believe that Lance reccomends such a heavy gage of wire. Thanks for the offer of the wire code but that I figured out that information the other day.

mismit
Member # 25453
#1005981 - 01/11/03 03:18 AM

Bigfoot62, that is certainly a quick and easy way of doing this project. However I also tow a boat that needs that back plug. I'm gonna have to do a little splicing I'm afraid.

Roger45
Member # 6686
Reged: 05/08/00
Loc: Palmer, Alaska
#1006236 - 01/11/03 11:12 AM

I have had plug in may different places over the years. If you use your truck mostly for auling a 5er or goose, then in the box is good. Two places work best for me, in front of the wheel well of on the tail lighe pillar. Regardless, you want it easy to access, but out of the way when hauling. I use my truck for many purposes, from towing the 5er to hauling horse road apples, etc.. I also pull a number of different trailers. My current set up is may overall favorite as it is convenent for everything
http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=9281&papass=&sort=1

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=9280&papass=&sort=1&size=

If the links don't work, go to photo gallery, search, and enter 7 pin plug in

TrailTrash
Member # 25603
Reged: 10/18/02
#1006326 - 01/11/03 12:30 PM

Mismit,

I was using just the seven pin connector to charge with my last truck, I think that it works OK, until you have camped for Two or Three days in one place. Then, when it is time to get those batteries charged back-up, the 12 or 14 gauge wire just doesn't cut it! Or, in my case, if I want to run the fridge on DC while traveling, the 7 pin doesn't keep up with the demand, and the batteries become discharged. And adding another 10 feet of wire for a extention cord isn't going to help the situation ether. Just can't seem to get enough Voltage and Current thru the 7 pin to do anything more than "maintain" the battery with little load. To get some real current back to the camper batteries, we are going to have to run an extra set of cables.

As far as drilling holes and tieing into the factory harness, that just reminds me of a "Hotrodders Credo" I once read. "Anyone can RESTORE, but it takes a real man, to CUT ONE UP!"

Later,
BRC

hangdog
Member # 19693
Reged: 02/10/02
#1008659 - 01/12/03 10:00 PM

mismit

go to napa. get a jb3100(junction box). cut the factory wires at the 7 pin and connect them in the j-box. with the j-box you're able to run 3 other 7 pins. the box is weather tight. hope this helps.

mbonn21
Member # 6898
Reged: 05/24/00
Loc: Vancouver, WA 98661
#1016865 - 01/17/03 01:53 AM

Went to the RV Store and purchase heavy duty 7-wire (one wire with 7 individual insulated wires inside) and made up a maile plug for the back (read rear) of the truck. Used wire ties to keep wire tight up under the truck, then put it through the hole in the front left stake pocket. Put on a female connector and made sure it followed the RV wiring harness. I also put a rubber grommet over the wire which fit in the hole in the stake pocket soe the wire would not rub and short out from wear and vibration. Had a sprayed in bed liner put in, the gromet cannot come out and the wire stays in just fine. Works like a champ.

Diesel_Puller
Member # 1211
Reged: 05/08/99
Loc: Westminster, CO USA
#1019262 - 01/18/03 05:30 PM

I am just in the process of adding a wiring harness to my truck for a slide-in camper and ran across a new product from Tork Lift. They make a no-splice wiring harness that connects to the existing connector that is used for the 7 pin bumper mount. The harness runs forward to the left corner of the truck box, where it can be connect via another 7 pin connector to the camper. The installation is simple and supposed to take 10 minutes.

The hot wire is a 10 guage wire and what I am wondering, if it is heavy enough to handle charging my RV deep cycle battery, and possibly two deep cycle batteries in the boat when a hot wire is connected to the boat batteries while trailering?

YODA
Member # 319
Reged: 04/03/99
Loc: Colorado, High Up in the Rockies
#1019587 - 01/18/03 09:22 PM

Got a Link to Tork Lift?

Diesel_Puller
Member # 1211
Reged: 05/08/99
Loc: Westminster, CO USA
#1020036 - 01/19/03 05:19 AM

Here is the link to Tork Lift. They have a wide variety of accessories for slide-in campers. http://www.torklift.com/

mismit
Member # 25453
#1028000 - 01/23/03 09:22 AM

Jim, thanks for the Tork Lift idea. Got some for my truck yesterday as a matter of fact. Also, does anyone out there have any better way of tapping in the electrical lines other then those plastic clamp type connectors? It's been pretty cold and snowy around here so I still haven't finished setting up my plug in. Probably a good thing though, as it seems like everytime I check back in on this thread. There's always a couple more excellent ideas. Thanks everyone for your input.

YODA
Member # 319
Reged: 04/03/99
Loc: Colorado, High Up in the Rockies
#1028067 - 01/23/03 10:03 AM

I emailed torklift and they do not make a splice in adapter to go in line before the Ford plug. They make and extension type cord (male and female plugs at ends) that you plug into the stock plug and thread into the bed through the tale gate gap at the bottom.

As for the splice I ran across one where you strip of a section of wire, wrap you splice around, and clamp(crimp) a short split cylinder fitting over. You then heat this with a soldering iron to get a quick soldered connection (solder is in the fitting) I don't have the brand info but I am going back to the shop (sells and installs cell phones) to find out.

He then wraps the connection with some melting type of tape. It is a solis seal and connection that will stand up to our current road salts.

Wombat
Member # 5368
#1031793 - 01/25/03 08:43 AM

mismit:

What Yoda is referring to about the strip, wrap, clamp and solder, then heat shrink is the best way to go. Otherwise, I would strip, wrap and solder, then heat shrink. The heat shrink is what seals everything up if it's done right. You just have to be careful not to burn a hole in the heat shrink tube. In other words, a heat gun works great but you can do it with a cig lighter if you're careful.

mismit
Member # 25453
#1038083 - 01/28/03 04:10 PM

OK guys, I've pretty much got everything hooked up. I ended up running a direct power line from the auxillary battery. I've got one of those battery isolator/soleniod jobbies that I'm gonna install in the power line. My question is, for those of you that have this. Is there a quick and easy line to hook into under the hood for activating this solenoid? Thanks.

dutydave
Member # 29140
Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: NJ
#1044134 - 01/31/03 12:03 PM

All you guys out there cutting and splicing wires for this install need to stop. There is a kit made by Hoppe called a T. Bought mine from Nappa. Unplug the factor wireing under the truck near the frame plug in this kit and the bumper stuff remains in tacked on the bumper. They give you a nother wireing hareness that plugs into the tee and you run that up under the truck bed between the iner and outer body pannel. Drill a hole inside of the ded in front of the wheel well drivers side and insall the female plug of you choice. Not sure if it came with the female end.

dutydave
Member # 29140
#1044155 - 01/31/03 12:15 PM

I got the name wrong of the manufacture in my earlier post. Heres the name and part#

Hoppy Tap 5 Wheel wireing Harness 30156

www.hopkinsmfg.com/5wharness.html

mismit
Member # 25453
#1044177 - 01/31/03 12:32 PM

dutydave, thanks for this information. I was wondering one day while laying under my truck if there wasn't something that could simply plug in at that one junction where I'm guessing this setup from Hoppy goes. I've got a couple questions for you though. What gage is the power wire in the Hoppy harness? And how much did this cost? I'm about done wiring mine up. But ended up running a 10g direct power line. If my memory serves me right, I think the power line in the Ford trailer wiring is 14g. Unfortunately, that isn't big enough for my needs.

dutydave
Member # 29140
#1046160 - 02/01/03 06:56 PM

I think the wire size is the same as the stock. and I paid around $60.00 I think.

Pages: 1

Contact Us TheDieselStop.Com

UBB.threads™ 6.3

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective companies.
All else is Copyright 1997-2001 TheDieselStop.Com.

TheDieselStop.Com Privacy Statement
Advertising on TheDieselStop.Com

This site is in no way affiliated with Ford Motor Company or Navistar International Corporation.