The Diesel Stop banner

Alternator upgrade

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  duallyduty 
#1 ·
Ok so I found out my 02 Excursion has a 110amp Alternator. Whats the safest you would upgrade without changing any wiring 140 or 160 amp?

#2 ·
I upgraded my alternator on my old truck, and the all the lights in the dash/headlights/radio, etc, etc would 'pulse' for lack of a better word, because of the extra voltage. I got so annoyed that I took it off. I was tired of being in the disco

hope this helps

#3 ·
so probably 140 amps would be ok and still recharge batteries for winching. 140 would only be 30 amps more than factory. Mmmm what to do

#4 ·
170 amp from www.dbelectrical.com is a drop in. Call them as they don't always have them listed on their web site.

#5 ·
HAd any problems with yours such as surging,spikes or other.

#6 ·
Wrangler NW 200amp.....dropped in with a slight mod to the truck and works flawlessly!!!

#7 ·
Nope, it's been a year and no problems...also less than 1/2 price of the Wrangler 200 and no wiring upgrades necessary.

#8 ·
went with a 160 amp upgrade. That should be ok with stock wiring right?

#9 ·
Went with a Schuck's/Krager 239.00 lifetime new alternator. Umm...just went through 3 in 2 years. Two of them were within 1 months. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.