The Diesel Stop banner

towing laws in Canada ?

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  j_apetersen 
#1 ·
Are there any Conadian people on here that can PM me about towing laws in Canada. I'll have a VW Golf on a tow dolly behind the motor home. i have not purchased the tow dolly yet and wonder if brakes are required in Canada or not.

here are the facts as I know them.
tow dolly weighs in at about 500 pounds
the Golf weighs in at about 3000 pounds
the motorhome is rated to tow 5000 pounds
the motor home usually weighs in at 20000 pounds loaded
GCVW is 26000 according to the 40% rule as I travel it would be 8000 pounds max

any help ???

johnm

( thinking of going to St John's in newfoundland )

#2 ·
John, I think, therefore I'm probably wrong, at least according to the wife. 10% of the CGVW is the unbreaked tow limit. Go over to
rv.net/forums and go down to the RVing in Canada and Alaska.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/65.cfm

I tow the Beetle 4 down and am quite a bit heavier than you so never worried about it. My tow is about 10% of gcvw.

#3 ·
Hello...
In B.C. any vehicle or trailer being towed by an RV and weighs more than 3087 lbs must have a braking system and break away device activated.
Each province has different laws so I would suggest an internet search into the provinces you will visit. Ie>>> Google...towing regulations Alberta or Ontario etc.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#4 ·
I've tried all the combinations I can think of for Canada towing in the different Provences, but results are sketchy at best. Some of the sites I used 4 years ago are no longer there. Even RV dot net said theirs is out of date and are not sure.

Secondly, how can one put a break-away device on a tow dolly with surge brakes??? So guess I'll be leaning towards elect. brakes, but not sure whats available at a reasonable price. Still searching that.

johnm

#5 ·
Normally a surge coupler has a breakaway cable on it from the factory. It is just a steel 1/16" cable which when jerked, applies the brakes and locks in the applied position.

#6 ·
all i gotta be is snarter than what I'm worken on huh...

#7 ·
Johnm...
If you know which provinces you will be towing in let me know and I will research thru my sources...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#8 ·
plan on going from main to nova scotia via ferrry then over to newfoundland and drive back down the coast from nova scotia.

john

#9 ·
Hi Johnm,
Nova Scotia - 3969 lbs or more
Newfoundland - 9923 lbs or more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
New Brunswick - 3308 lbs or more... require braking systems and break away chain/device.
Sorry about the unusual pound amounts, but these are conversions from out metric system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif
www.camping-canada.com/towing_regulations_e.htm is a generic link to all provinces and territories.

Hope this helps.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#10 ·
thanks for the link and the info.

johnm

#11 ·
BC makes an exception for motorhomes.... specifically for towing a 'dinghy'. Maybe other provices do too.

Alberta I hear is very lenient on towing in general.

There could be very different rules depending on the province. Some of ties into the insurance and licensing side, so it may or may not apply to foreigners.

#12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I've tried all the combinations I can think of for Canada towing in the different Provences, but results are sketchy at best. Some of the sites I used 4 years ago are no longer there. Even RV dot net said theirs is out of date and are not sure.

Secondly, how can one put a break-away device on a tow dolly with surge brakes??? So guess I'll be leaning towards elect. brakes, but not sure whats available at a reasonable price. Still searching that.

johnm

[/ QUOTE ]

Break-away on surge? It should allready have it the third chain is the brakeaway pull it and it aplys the brakes.if you have surge brakes then you have the best brakes just not the best activation system. go to a elec-over hydrolic and great brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.