The Diesel Stop banner

Grinding noise while turning hard left

42K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Gator5713 
#1 ·
ok guys this one is odd this truck, 2000 f350 SRW started making noise about 6 months ago while turning left, i replaced ball joints, hubs, seals, and all, the noise sounds like tire rub and i do run 305/70/r16 but this truck is leveled, and has plenty of clearance. I have even checked rear axle bearings, ive checked my lockouts there fine, a week ago i switched my hubs on the front with no change in the grinding noise, its only when you turn left, i have put my stock wheel and tires back on and still had the grinding noise im not sure what else can even make this kind of noise, it only makes noise when its warmed up. which makes me think its a bearing, but they all check out fine. any one had any problems like this, my truck is a 2000 F350 SRW with 100,000 miles.

#2 ·
I was hearing a loud popping noise... it was my pitman arm hitting the leaf when the wheel was turned all the way left. My leaf springs had weakened over time - when I hit a bump, the leaf hit the pitman arm. If it's the pitman arm hitting the leaf, the leaf will have a mark on it. I replaced the leaf springs and haven't heard the noise since.

#4 ·
about 3 months ago mine started to do the same thing. it was bothering me but i just learned to live with it. i had changed out my hubs about 8 months ago and this past spring it had flooded around here and i was driving my truck in waters up to my step under my door. i thought maybe the bearings were dry or something but i cant grease them. i hear it when i turn left and it gets louder the harder i turn. i just learned to live with it.

#5 ·
wingman 036 that is what mine does,I have noticed that it won't make the noise if i'm not in the throttle or just push in the clutch. It has done this for about 8 or 9 months now I have tried everything there is with no fix to the problem I am trying to live with it but its not easy. If anyone has anymore ideas let me know i'll try just about anything at this point.

#6 ·
Take this article I wrote...

You guys want to look at the internal wheel bearing (needle bearing) which is replaceable

its behind the sealed assy, and is a small needle bearing that sits near the main seal (the main seal is likely bad allowing water to the wheel bearings)

check it out

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/mercury/ball.pdf

good luck

last picture of the article actually... the needle bearing is a torrignton or equivilent B-2110

kenny

#7 ·
Mercury you think that both needle bearings are bad because i switched the front hubs. And i put ball joints in a few weeks ago and I remember checking them over then and they felt good. I will check them again this weekend. plus in the 2 years that i have had this truck its never been in any water, plus both hubs are new and it made this noise before i put the hubs in it. Thanks for the input I will check those this weekend.

#9 ·
Yes the whole sealed ass. was switched over and the noise seems to only come from drivers side front both before and after the hubs were switched. Not to mention this is the third hub that has been on the drivers side front since april. any other ideas.

#10 ·
i still say change the needle bearings, 8 bux each - i say its worth it

Also check that silly dust shield behind the hub assy too - they can be trouble.

let me know how you make out - the needle bearing was my problem, check that your main seal is also ok, thats on the stub shaft behind the sealed assy

kenny

#11 ·
I replaced the dust covers a few months ago when I did all the u joints, seals, hubs, pretty much everything but the ball joints. I am going to check those needle bearings today. But i am not sure about it, The axle does not turn while the transfer case is in two wheel drive. My lockouts are unlocked and the axle does not support any weight. I will try any thing to solve this one But this will make about the 7th time I've tore this thing down for the same reason. I have noticed that by turning left and not having my foot in the throttle its quiet so it only does it while under a load. thanks for the help kenny I will let you know what i find.

#13 ·
They are manual lockouts and I have switched those as well, and a friend of mine helped me check them out one day at work to rule them out. nothing in the front axle is turning. I took apart the drivers side this afternoon. The sealed ass. felt fine the needle bearing felt smooth no roughness to it at all. I greased it and put it all back together and went out to eat. On the way home it roared at me so im kinda stumped on this one there must de something im missing thanks for the help.

#14 ·
ok your sure its coming from the front and youre sure its only when you turn left? can you get it to do it if your turning left and you pop the tranny to netural?

i would check that pass side needle bearing too

A needle bearing can feel smooth, were you able to move the needles though - by using a fingernail?

also how is your main seal?

I know we can figure this out with patience and determination

thanks, Kenny

#15 ·
yes its in the front, it wont do it if you push in the clutch or throw it in neutral. Main seal is fine no leak yet. I would like to figure this out. It sounds more like tire rub than any thing but there is more than enough clearance.

#16 ·
I'm sure you've already looked, but make sure your brake/abs cables aren't being rubbed on either side.. I've seen it happen and sound the same.. *shrug*

#17 ·
remove lock out hubs, then go for a ride - if it has something to do with doing it under power it must be gear related - get rid of the lockouts... you can drive without them for a short while

also climb under there and you should be able to spin your front driveshaft freely while parked... id make sure of that
kenny

#18 ·
When i bought this truck it did not have abs hubs in the front, so when i changed them out I bought the same ones without the abs. The driveshaft spins easy as pie. I will try the lockouts in the morning. I am lost and have been for some time.

#20 ·
ok kenny drivers side is very easy to spin by hand. but the passenger side is very hard to turn by hand. I havn't tried to run it without the lockouts on yet mabey after bit.

#23 ·
I figured the problem out on mine. The leafs springs had actually sagged over time and were collapsing under ANY load. Replaced them (Trailmaster) with Pro-comp springs and haven't heard a sound since. Raising the front back to where it should be did bend the oil line coming out of the head near the rear seal - caused a good leak. I thought it was the rear main seal - dealer straightened the line and sealed the threads - all fixed.

#24 ·
Hey All, I've got the same darn problem!! I just responded to another post on what I've done and still have the noise when making a left hand turn at slow speeds 5-15mph. I haven't tried putting the tranny in neutral yet while making the turn. I'll do that in the morning. Here's what I've replaced on mine and still have the same noise!! New ball joints on both sides, new right side stub axel, seal, u-joint, sway-bars, tie rods, and new right side wheel bearing hub. I've even taken the locking hubs out, drove down the street and still have the same noise? This can't be that hard to identify, can it? Everyone on here is having the same issue! Stroken03.

#25 ·
I solved this problem months ago it was the 4 inch exhaust hitting the trans cross member bolt on the passenger side. I marked mine took it apart heated it up and put a nice flat spot in it. no more noise.

#26 ·
For anyone reading this post and having similar problems, It was the four inch exhaust rattling on the trans cross member bolt. To fix this I marked the pipe pulled it out and heated it up and gave it the room it needed to clear the bolt head. I have not heard any noise now for a long time. I am happy with that fix hope it helps someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.