The Diesel Stop banner

P0344 Error Code and Symptoms

47K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Texkenusmc 
#1 ·
I am very familiar with changing the CPS on my 1999 F250SD. Recently it has developed an annoying problem where it misses only during rain. Once the rain stops it runs fine.

Typically in the past when the CPS fails no SES light. The engine dies and loses powere, I install a new one and go on about my business.

I was tired of paying the Ford dealers so I bought one from a local parts store - cheaper and installed it the last time my CPS failed, now that I think about it.

Anyway, we are still having heavy rain in Texas and I was driving to work, truck stalled, SES on, restarted. Active heavy rain.

Read codes when I returned home - P0344. Checked connectore but it was tight.

I must be on my 8th or 9th CPS. This is really getting old. I have not been on this site for awhile and will read up on these "B" sensors and shims. I have never had a CPS do this before. Do you gents use a sealer on the plugs?

Eddie

See less See more
#2 ·
I just read some posts after entering the right search info. I ordered two of the new "B" CPS from Powerstrokeshop.com. I found several individuals that had the same issues as I did.

If anyone has anything to offer, please do so.

How are the "B" CPS holding up???

Eddie

#3 ·
I'd start looking for someplace that the rainwater is getting in. Somehow 8 or 9 CPS's seems a bit strange, particularly going bad during wet weather. Not much help, but I do remember a thread some time ago about rain getting into something that was causing all sorts of problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif. The answer was some silicon sealant around whatever it was.

#5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I'd start looking for someplace that the rainwater is getting in. Somehow 8 or 9 CPS's seems a bit strange, particularly going bad during wet weather. Not much help, but I do remember a thread some time ago about rain getting into something that was causing all sorts of problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif. The answer was some silicon sealant around whatever it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
The connector to the cps is "sealed" with rubber grommets at the plug and where the wires enter it. If the seals are dried out or loose, then water can get in and cause problems by shorting between the pins.

You may be able to fix it with a little dielectric grease around the grommet at the plug-in and around the wires, or you may need to replace the connector. It's available thru International (2501108C1 repair connector with 12” pigtails for CPS, Intl 3517502C1 uninsulated steel barrel for wire crimp).

If you go with the dielectric grease, be sure not to get any gobbed between the pins. It will do the same thing as the water will. Just put a little dab on the grommets.

#7 ·
Been awhile since I posted this problem. I travel a lot so my SD sat in the garage until last month when I dropped it off at the dealer.

The dealer replaced my PCM and the EBP sensor. They also removed my Superchip. I am thinking about buying a new chip.

A few days after I picked the truck up the SES light came on. The code was P0478.

I searched on this forum and followed the advice on cleaning the EBP sensor tube. It was noot completely plugged. I disconnected it at the manifold and sprayed Gunscrubber solvent down the tube and ran a 3/16" engine cleaning brush as far as I could on both ends of the tube and onto the connector on the manifold.

No more P0478 light and I bet the old sensor was not faulty.

The information on this site is top notch. Thanks for all the help!

Eddie

#8 ·
Another way to clean out the tube for the ebpv is to use a good spray cleaner and a short peice of line fron your weed eater in a cordless drill to scrape out the entire line.

#9 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another way to clean out the tube for the ebpv is to use a good spray cleaner and a short peice of line fron your weed eater in a cordless drill to scrape out the entire line. </div></div>

Great tip. I will remember that one.

#10 ·
having identical problem

I am having the exact same problem with my 99 f350 7.3, right down to the rain restarting the problem and stalling out at a red light. I mean my truck is acting the same verbatim

Did you ever reach a resolution to your problem or, more specifically, find the what exactly was causing the problem?

I am on my 3 sensor and found out the the truck had a recall on the sensor but have been told that the truck will come back from the dealer worse than before.

If anyone could be of assistance I would be super duty thankful.
I use my truck for work and only dream of customizing it so it is still stock except for a K&N filter.

#12 ·
This is a common symptom of a CPS issue. I'd replace that, and maybe go the route of adding chokes to the wiper motor harness.

#13 ·
Put some chokes on the wiper motor wires. It's the solution to this known problem with certain brand CPS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.