The Diesel Stop banner

Gearvender Overdrive????

12K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Davebu55 
#1 ·
My dad has an 08 F-450 with 4.88's in it and he loves the truck. He would like to drop the RPM's when towing light and empty and is thinking about an overdrive unit.

Is anyone using the Gearvenders unit or other overdrive units that can give me some feedback and best place to purchase one from.

Thanks,

Barry

#3 ·
Posting so I saty in the response loop. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

#6 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barneybadase</div><div class="ubbcode-body">read the post in the 6.4 forum about the entire truck warranty being voided. </div></div>

The GV unit probably did not cause any of the issues with that truck. The owner stated he was having problems with the axle (abs ring) prior to the installation of the GV unit. It is safe to assume that the GV unit did not cause the problem but probably increased wear and tear on an already present issue that led to the axles premature failure. Any mods you do to your vehicle could possibly give you warranty issues, so mod at your own risk.

#7 ·
Seeing as how it's the same tranny that was behind the 6L, I'll throw in the fact that there were lots of guys who tried these units behind their 6L's and weren't successful. I wish I could remember the exact reason why, but knowing that I don't think that they'll work behind the 6.4L though it is a good idea. There were quite a few of these units for sale recently, all from guys who found that they wouldn't work behind their 6L's.

#13 ·
20" wheels on a F-450? I called and talked to a rep from GearVendors about their overdrive and applications for my 450. Person I spoke with did not recommend the unit for my application. I think he was concerned about it's durability when I am towing heavy, and the questionable fuel savings when not towing.

#15 ·
I had the Gear Vendor in my 99 with the 6 speed. Awesome! But it did have a few problems. They are right up the road from me so I got a first hand look into the whole program. The 7.3 was fine but the 6.0 was not the perfect match. You look at the GV and it is pretty light weight. Originally an overdrive for a Brit sports car. It failed once on me, big time and warranty was not friendly. Had to beg with the owner to get "half a screwing" Big time sales pitch but that ended there. Duramax and the Allison could not handle it so they no longer support that combination - tore the tail shaft off one too many allisons. Seems their business is way down for I drive by there a lot and the shop is more motor homes. New trannies - you really don't need it plus it never seemed to be matched for an automatic. Is it worth it?? For a stick I would do it just for the overdrive - auto, no way! When it breaks you are dead unless you are a 4x4

#16 ·
I was considering 22.5 wheels to ease the reving a little with the 4.88 cogs. any reason why not?

#17 ·
I am also considering the 22.5 option. But I think it would only make it like having 4.30 gears. That seems to be +/-2mpg better unloaded than the 4.88's. Depending on how much you drive loaded vs unloaded it may or may not be a good choice.

Might look odd also, I saw 1 450 with the 22.5 and it looked really good, but it was lifted. I can't lift mine because of what I use it for.

#18 ·
I have used a US Gear Overdrive on my 99 7.3 Auto F450 4x4 it has towed 15-20K Lbs. Goose neck trailer all its life 211,000 miles 2 trans orignal US Gear unit. the rate it for 33K# It shifts a bit harsh some times but does not seem to hurt any thing as I have the orignal u-joints. It splits the gears perfictly you need to change the oil in it evry 20K or so 1Qt syn. Gear oil.

#20 ·
Just sent to factory for rebuild on my GV overdrive unit, If you back up loaded you will tear it up. The best bet is to order a US gear unit. They probably don't make one to attach to your tranny so order one that replaces your carrier on a 2 piece driveshaft and mount it there. They done this from the factory on 2 wheel drive Dodges. You need to be careful if you have 4 wheel drive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.