The Diesel Stop banner

Anyone using a Lock-Right locker or other upgrade to lousy OE LS?

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  westvandude 
#1 ·
Anybody upgrade their doa 10.5 sterling LS unit? Was looking at this Power Train Truck & Auto Parts, Inc. :: Lock-Right Locker :: Ford :: Lock-Right Locker Ford 10.25" 12 Bolt 35 Spline Open as it says it's an easy replacement, no gear setup req'd. Anybody running one of these Lock-Right lockers? How is it on the street everyday running?

I installed an 08' aluminum diff cover from dieselmanor.com a couple of days ago. Didn't add any friction modifier just to see if it would give the useless OE LS clutches any more grip but it's still completely useless.

What a shocker... the price of 75w140 synthetic diff oil. 4 x 1 quart bottles Pennzoil... $21cdn EACH!! Man.. the damn oil cost more than the freakin diff cover. Wally Mart didn't have that grade oil in synthetic. Royal Purple was another buck a bottle more. Yikes.

#2 · (Edited)
I had a factory Trac Lok in the rear axle of my 89 Bronco ( Ford 8.8" axle) and then the axle that repalced it ( currently 96 Ford 10.25" Sterling Full Floater). They were fair under moderate conditions but when the going got tough, well, let's just say I knicknamed them " Un-limited slips"... They work OK with stock tires on the street but with oversize tires and offroad, they aren't too impressive... When I ordered my current '04 SD, I opted out of the factory LS and installed ARB's front and rear... I also have them in my 89 Bronco which runs a Dana 60 up front and Ford 10.25" rear... I wheel alot more than most so need the strongest locker(s) I can get... They might be more $$ than you are wanting to spend though... To each his own... I know several guys who run the Lock Right and they like them alot... They are easier on the street ( predictable ) than say a Detroit Locker ( pushes in corners, eats rear tires ) but a still very positive and strong... The fact that they aren't difficult to install is also a bonus for alot of guys who want a locker but not pay out the nose to have them installed...

Also, with repsect to the $ of Diff Oil, I feel your pain... However, if it makes you feel any better, diff oil doesn't have to be changed as often as engine oil and it takes a beating... Probalby not much comfort huh? If you are running an aluminum diff cover, you might want to look at a Purple Cranium Products Spider Rock Guard, Ford Sterling 10.25/10.50 Half Spider Differential Rock Guard ... I cracked an aluminum diff cover once on Holy Cross and lost all diff oil in about 30 seconds... Not good...! Check my pics to see what they look like installed...

#3 ·
Cool, thanks for the info. Ya, thought about ARB's but I want something more automatic. Don't want to have to flip a switch just because I want to have fun sideways in the rain, etc.

So the lock-right is more gentle than a detroit locker on the street... that's all I need to know. I installed an Eaton LS with carbon clutches in my 8.8 that was in my 98' F150. Worked great. Tons of kms on it and it grabbed really good, but I never did serious offroad with it.

#4 ·
You might also look at the Detroit Truetrac [see Randy's, ringpinion.com, popular source for diff. stuff, in yer general neighborhood] if you are looking primarily to improve on-road LS performance, though the install may be more complicated. Like mine; its a worm gear, no clutches to wear out; note the cautions on Randy's description for the lock-right for big tires and/or high HP.

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Shoot...that aint no good! Cancel that then. :nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.