The Diesel Stop banner

flat towing the f350?

40K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  YZF1000R 
#1 ·
i know i cannot do it with the current set up. have an auto, electronic esof transfer case. but can i flat tow the f350 if i change out the transfer case to a manual one and leave it in neutral? thanks for the info..

#3 ·
Your Owner's Guide says your 4x4 cannot be towed with any wheels on the ground, front or rear, ESOF or manual transfercase. The Ford booklet for wrecker operators tells them to ether use a wheel lift or a flatbed/tilt-back wrecker. Another option is to put one axle on a dolly then raise the other axle on a sling.

#4 ·
i just got pm'd a tsb, 06-7-1. it says if you have an auto or manual tranny, if you have a msof transfercase, np271 i presume, you can flat tow with the transfer case in neutral. this is for years 04-06 but i am running or would be the same drive train.

#5 ·
I didn't know that there were tow bars out there rated for flat towing an 8000lb truck... much less when it comes time to make a sharp turn with the weight of a diesel motor over the front tires...A proper trailer sounds a TON easier...

#6 ·
well they do make 10000k tow bar and not having a trailer is a big deal. plus you would have the extra weight of the trailer and prolly alot of tongue weight. i was thinking of towing it behind a 40 dp motorhome, 400hp. don't think that would be doing any sharp turns.:nono:

#7 ·
OK, stupid question - why would you want to tow a vehicle capable of towing a 40' 5er or 38' TT behind a motorhome in the 1st place? Geesh - I guess if the motor home broke down, you could just hook it up the F-350.:jester:

OMC

#9 · (Edited)
I towed my '03 F350 for the past 2 years. Towed a total of about 6,000 miles. No problems. Have a 10,000 lb capacity tow bar and Class V hitch. Motorhome is on a Spartan chassis with full air brakes and rated for 48,000 lb GVWR. My setup included using the truck's brakes as well. When driving, I really didn't notice it back there, even though the truck weighed in at 8,400 lbs. I was running 64 feet long with the combination which makes maneuvering more difficult in some situations, especially since you can't back up when using a towbar setup.

The truck has since been replaced with my current '08 but the old truck was a manual transfer case truck and manual hubs. Just drop the transfer case in neutral and everything is OK. BTW, the information regarding towing all wheels down is in Ford's Recreational Vehicle guide that is available on Ford's website under Fleet. It allowed either auto or manual tranny all wheel down towing with a manual transfer case only.

I have a couple of pics:

Motorhome and Truck - TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting

Here is a link to the Ford 2003 Recreational Vehicle guide
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2003/2003_towing.pdf

Robert

#10 ·
one time towing

Hi all,
I am moving about 1500 miles and I am looking to tow my F350 CC 4x4 behind UHaul's 26' truck. I am skeptical that the UHaul manager wasn't the least bit phased when I said how much the truck weighed, and proceeded to tell me about $150 tow bar they sell.

I've since looked and seen that their bar is a 5,000 lb tow bar, too small.

My F350 has the selector switch on the dash, which would seem to indicate no flat towing according to the manual Robert gave the link to.

However, since my objective is to tow one time, I am thinking that disconnecting the shafts from the front and rear differentials will be adequate to protect the transfer case and the transmission.

Are there any other concerns besides these two?

Also, is a brake system mandatory? We'll be on the road ~24 hours. If I have to buy a big tow bar and an aux brake system for one trip, I think I may just have it trucked up there.

Rich

#11 ·
Hi all,
Also, is a brake system mandatory? We'll be on the road ~24 hours. If I have to buy a big tow bar and an aux brake system for one trip, I think I may just have it trucked up there.

Rich

That would be my choice....especially for a one time deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.