The Diesel Stop banner

Intermittent Cruise Control Function

56K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Beachlady2009 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 F250 - Job 1 with intermittent cruise control function. Occasionally when I turn on cruise and hit set, it does not come on no matter how many times I push on and set (at or above 30 - 35 mph). Much of the time I can shut my truck down and restart and cruise will work, but not always. Once it is working - I can turn off cruise and restart it and it always works. If I turn my truck off there is a chance the cruise will not start. Anyone have a similar problem?

#7 ·
I have the same problem. It seemed to be worse lately on colder mornings when its cold but not when it was freezing constantly a few weeks ago. Assuming from the above fixes, its just a fluke with the weather. My guess is the switch is connected to the brake pedal and the harness is off of that?

#8 ·
thurs. 060211

hi and thanks for adding to my post/problem. i am starting to think (from reading), that the problem is in what is called the "brake pressure switch". i am also trying to find out where it is located and what it looks like on my truck. i have a 2008 f350, 6.4l diesel. i have read that it may be located near or on the master cylinder.

does any one know where i can find some pictures, schematics, drawings, ect of this thing?

thank you spedyr6 and EVERYone else who has tried to help me!
most gratefully,
mark turik

#11 ·
fri 060311
hello cory,
i could not find a private email for you in your reply. unfortunately, i dont think i can afford to take my truck to the ford dealership. the cruise control is something that does not keep me from driving the truck safely. i really do miss it however and hope someone will be able to help me in this forum.

thanks cory,
sincerely,
mark turik

#12 ·
Mark: if you left click on his name in blue writing (FordCustomerService) a window will come down and then click on “send a private message to FordCustomerService”.

As far as the brake pressure switches, there are two screwed in the bottom of the master cylinder and also a switch on the brake pedal, sorry not sure how they are tied to the cruise control. I do know that the cruise control circuits go through self tests and are monitored by the ECM and if there is an error, it will disable the cruise control and produce a diagnostic code that will be stored in the ECM, but won’t produce the MIL or Wrench light. Chances are you might have a code stored and maybe a reader other then a Dealer’s will tell you. Also there are other codes that will disable the cruise control, for example if the EGR valve sticks and the truck goes into “Limp Home Mode”.

#32 ·
I have a F350 and have replaced the brake pedal switch and the master cylinder switch myself, still not working properly. Had it into my auto repair shop. they dismantled the entire system, could not see a problem, diagnostics found nothing. Had it a week with no luck. Put it all back together and it worked. The cruise worked fine driving around the area. Drove it for 160 miles, shut it down 30 minutes, cruise still working. Drove about 5 miles further, shut it down for about 3 hours and cruise will not work. Craziest thing I have ever seen. Don't know what to do now except try to replace the cruise control buttons in the steering wheel. It's almost like it may be overheating during long trips. Park it overnight, crank her up the next morning and its working.

#14 ·
/me chimes in with another job2 F350 with intermittant cruise controll that was tollerable just shut it off and restart it and it was back .. then about a month after the CabOff it is more not there than it is functional... will check the brake switch and master pressure switch harnesses/pins on plugs

#16 ·
I have the same problem. Cruise control Intermittently will not work. Lately it will not work at all. As most of my retirement money goes to truck payments and repairs, I cant just take it to the dealer. I have searched a lot of posts, and I assume all are valid replies. From connectors not making good connection in the brake related circuits, to the clockspring, to the brake pressure switch. One dealer did read the codes for me, while buying tires, and that pointed to the brake pressure switch. I am going to replace it this week hopefully. Not sure this is appropriate, but I want to add that my 08 F250 Super Duty diesel, is plagued with issues. First, the electronic throttle failed on me after midnight moving a load of frozen beef from West Virginia to North Carolina. Had it towed, and the dealer found that a harness had rubbed against the driveshaft, and exposed and shorted the wires. I could not see how it was possible, but there ya go. Then the remote mirror switch failed, and I just replaced it for the second time. Then the popular radiator failure, just after warranty expires to the tune of $1700. I had one injector fail and replaced under warranty. And the water seperator unit failed and was replaced, and there has been no water discharged from it during monthly checks, in over a year. Little concerned there. The first oil change revealed a loose bolt in the oil pan, which led to a cab off, to remove the oil pan, only to be told it must have been a spare bolt. No sign of where one was missing. Take all of that, and the delicacy of the exhaust cooler and egr system, I am beginning to miss the 2000 7.3 which had 231K miles with no issues. The 08 is a beautiful truck, Ford did a great job with getting so much from a smaller engine, and the way the computer works to manage the tranny and engine while towing up and down mountains, is outstanding. But I have to wonder if it is going to be worth all the expense and dealing with all the issues. As far as having so many electrical related issues, has this become common with Ford? Comparing that to my 2002 Honda with nearly 300K miles, and absolutely no issues really makes me wonder what is going on with Ford truck

#17 ·
Not that many people have electical issues. Overall the truck and motor have been pretty darn good considering the EPA mess that was mandated.

EGR coolers are actually much better than previous ones.

Radiators are the weak point but most of that ha calmed down overall with the strict maintance of the cooling system.

#18 ·
i bypassed my switch and i still have problems 99 f350 7.3 6spd. i just tied the two wires together between the fuses on the replacement harness i still have the occasional problem but it works better.

#19 ·
Cruise control

Had the same problem with my 2010 F250. Dealer fixed it under warranty. Was the pressure switch. In the beginning the CC would not work infrequently. Got progressiveky worse. By the time I took it in the CC wouldn't work at all. The service writer said that the problem may effect the brake controller. I didn't notice that and I towed several time wtih it not working.

#21 · (Edited)
When you get some engine trouble codes the truck's computer will disable the cruise control. Most likely your problem if the cruise control stop working at the same time. For sure the cruise won't work if the truck goes into "Limp Home Mode or reduce power mode.

#30 ·
I had this happen on my job 1 08 as well. Replaced brake pressure switch and still had problems. I traced my issue to the harness under the steering wheel. There is a connector that is under the plastic cover directly under the wheel on the column, that takes all the signals from the wheel controls. One of the connections was loose, i.e. i could jiggle it while driving and get it to turn on and off. I just played around with it until is was consistently working, and then secured it the best i could. This worked for me and was a fairly easy fix. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.