The Diesel Stop banner

Tea Kettle Whistle, -03 6.0L

14K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  clayman 
#1 ·
Ok i have been using the search function trying to nail down every possible thread regarding -03 6.0's with whistle issues. Long story short, after i installed the full 4" turboback my truck has been whistling a lot, too much for me to be happy with it, i am trying to find the solution on making this go away. A few things that i am aware of:

* 2003 6.0's are more intended to whistle due to the turbo design. Question is if mine has another issue making it whistle even more? The noice is very annoying inside the cab during boost/rpm build up, once you dont spool the turbo/load the motor its fine.

* I have read about leaky Y-pipes, degas bottle caps, blown EGR gaskets that can cause increased whistling, i tried removing the degas cap completely and run the truck a short distance with no difference. I cannot see or hear any leaks from the Y-pipe, is there a good procedure on how to check this? EGR Y-pipe plate "thingy" was installed during the 4" exhaust installation and the kitty was not reinstalled as well.

It all comes down to that this started when the exhaust was installed and i am puzzled no matter to that this is normal 2003 open exhaust whistle or if its an unlucky combination of something failing/leaking/draining etc during the time it got installed.

Question is, where do i start? putting another muffler on to see if the whistle decreases? start looking for issues with leaky pipes etc? I need some input on this matter.

Sorry for the long thread but thank you if you have read it this far!!:icon_wink:

See less See more
#2 ·
Put the cat back on and see if that cures your problem.

#4 ·
my guess is your boiling the water on the egr cooler and it's blowing out the cap..

Had that happen to me, it was a egr cooler and head gasket replacement..

#6 ·
my guess is your boiling the water on the egr cooler and it's blowing out the cap..
I thought that too at first but he said he ran it without the cap and there was no difference... If the noise was the cap venting, the whistle should have been gone without it.....

#7 ·
Yes i drove it without the cap and there was no difference what so ever. Also, it is constant, cold engine, warm engine etc, i guess i will start looking for the conversion parts to get the cat back on if we are only talking 25 degree EGT's and try that out.

#8 ·
#9 ·
#14 ·
I have a leaky Y-pipe on my Excursion that is getting fixed today. My engine had an annoying hissing sound at all times. Do you have this symptom?

#18 · (Edited)
The whistle you hear is the turbo spooling up. Your truck did it before the exhaust install. I'm sure you noticed a small amount of whistle with your stock exhaust, probably when you put your foot into it. The main reason you hear the turbo spool more is the downpipe. Your stock downpipe was wrapped with about an inch or so of heat shielding/insulation, which soaked up the turbo whistle. Aftermarket exhausts, at least my Magnaflow and a buddy's MBRP, do not have this insulation. Because the turbo is right at the top and back of the motor (i.e. right behind the radio in the cab) and is no longer insulated, turbo whistle is much more pronounced.

Also realize that the louder turbo is an intentional effect from an aftermarket exhaust. Aftermarket exhaust design is all about increased flow and usually more sound. The main reason I put on a Magnaflow is for more turbo whistle. And like others mentioned before, the '03 turbo is much louder than later years due to the design of the vanes.

Alright, so what can you do to quiet the turbo? You have a couple of options. You could swap to a later year turbo. I have no idea what effect that would have on your engine. I'll leave that to the more experienced folks here. Another thought would be to wrap the downpipe with insulation material similar to what was on your truck from the factory, but you may have clearance issues with the downpipe. The last option is to put back on your stock exhaust system, if you still have it. You will lose the benefits of an aftermarket exhaust, such as better flow and lower EGTs, but your turbo will be quiet again. It's all a matter of what is more important to you.

Hope this helps. Good luck!! :icon_wink:

#19 ·
If it bothers your passengers and you want a quieter ride dynamat the inside of your truck. I love the whistle but can understand how it could get annoying, the only reason I suggest dynamat is you wouldnt have to change your current set-up and in general it would make for a nicer ride on the inside

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.