The Diesel Stop banner

Y-Pipe Cracked..........FUMES.....Best Fix?

45K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ByronF350 
#1 ·
My 2004 with 65,000 miles has some bad fumes in the cab, I thought it was just the wind. Sitting in traffic with vent/defroster on is the worst, once moving, no problems. After researching this site and crawling under truck seems the Y-Pipe is leaking. I am a fair mechanic and do a lot myself, but this looks like a PITA. How much would a dealer charge, and how good would the replacement pipe be? Can any exhaust shop do this? I've seen some aftermarket y-pipes on line. Also, would this leak explain a power lag on take off? No other issues, the truck runs fine and is all stock except for muffler delete.
So many questions, I've only had this 6.0 a few months and I want to like it.
Thanks for any help................................hparm

#5 ·
Got the same type smell in my cab as well. I have not checked my Y pipe yet but will now. My dealer could not find the cause of the smell two weeks ago. Anybodys input would be helpful.
Same thing here - turned out to be loose clamp on turbo exhaust and loose exhaust manifold bolts - mostly gone now - but there's still some remnant - so I will have to check it further.

#3 ·
It's not that big of a job. The worst part is getting the front of the truck jacked up high enough off the ground to get the downpipe out.....if it's the factory one. Remove the trans x-member, and jack up the trans and truck about 2 feet high. The downpipe will snake out. Take your time, it will come out. Loosen the y-pipe from the turbo and both sides. Slide it over to the right side, and it will come down behind the engine and out the bottom where the downpipe did. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#4 · (Edited)
I just had a cracked Y-pipe repaired two weeks ago. About $700 to repair at the Ford Dealership. And, yes, this problem will not only cause fumes in the cab but also lack of power/boost at takeoff.

#6 ·
Where do the pipes usually crack at?

#7 ·
The flex joint..

#9 ·
Anybody??

#10 ·
I did some research ($750-$875) and decided to have it replaced at a local Ford dealer who helped me out on the price ($700 parts, labor, tax) The tech has done many of these and after I fiqured the cost of parts the cold weather and a chance of screwing it up, I let him have it. My wife has too many things for me to finish on our home at the moment and I didn't want to hear the b**ching about laying under my truck for hours.

#11 ·
Let us know how it turns out.

#12 ·
Got my truck back tonight, so far so good, no smell..........wallet is $700 lighter.......But we can breathe, for now..........Thanks for the replys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.