The Diesel Stop banner

6.0 PowerStroke CrankShaft

13K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Ljutic SS 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! Hey i have a 05 F-250 with the 6.0 powerstoke motor and i was having some major nocking noise in the motor, my brother said maybe it's just a broken flexplate, so i took the oil plug out to see the oil and i found pretty big metal shavings, so i decited to pull the motor, while taking it apart i noticed that there is a little play in the crankshaft, and my flexplate was broken, so i still wasn't sure what the metal shavings were or the play in the crank, i took the oil pan off and yep it's a BROKEN CRANKSHAFT. Has anyone heard of this, because everyone that i talked to ( no body )has heard of a powerstroke crankshaft busting,. I bought this truck with around 79k mies a year ago the clusters went out right away so i bought the clusters at the wrecking yard with 21k miles on the clusters, and i have on those now like around 36k miles on them, a total of around 94k on my truck, i called ford and they did tell me that there is a 5 year or 100k mile waranty on the drivetrain of the motor, so i am hoping that the cluster change i did does not void my waranty,

See less See more
#2 ·
The cluster has nothing to do with the engine. The major problem will be pulling the engine apart. Play nice with the dealer and i hope the best for your. Yours is the third or 4th but most of them had pretty radical chips on them. The 6.0 is known for a good bottom end. Take note if any of the con rods are bent. That will tell you which cylinder took the hit. If none are bent then it is a bad casting. Let us know how you make out. Document everything that you can, since you pulled it apart yourself and you are so close to the 5yr/100k limit expect a little difficulty from Ford. good luck

#4 ·
well i thought ( FORD ) would find a way to get out of helping me out with this, they told me, how do they know i didn't break the crankshaft by pull the motor my self :) lol now thats the dumbest thing i have heard of, i have a ford costumer service number and they said they cant do anything unless i get a ford dealer diagnostic done on the pickup, and we all know this is impossible with the motor not in the truck, lol, well im gonna find out if i put it all back together if they can do anything then, but i doubt it, im pretty sure IF i never took the motor out my self there would be a nother issue that ford would have, so they wouldn't have to pay for anything,..... Well does anyone know where i can get a long block or short block or even a nother motor cheap even if i have to take mine and a nother motor and make one good one. Wrecking yard told me that 03-04 are the same and 05-06-07 are the same so i would need something from 05-07, so if anyone knows where i can get a sweet deal let me know. :)

#5 ·
Have you told the dealer that you removed and disassembled the motor? If so take the truck to a different dealer or to the dealer you contacted if you didn't give them any information outside of the problem that would identify you or your truck. Well reassemble the motor and take it into the dealership. Get the diagnostic done and then call FoMoCo and see what happens. You're looking at a couple grand for a motor at least. I'm not sure about the availability and cost of a new crank and any other parts you would need so see if Ford would cover it. Also keep in mind that the dealership can't deny your warranty as Ford has the final say.

#7 ·
First off there is around 94k miles on a 05 truck, and i didn't think that there would be any warranty left on the truck, ford did an oasis check on the truck told me that there was for a few more months left on the 100k or 5 year drivetrain of the engine, second from what it sounded like when it was running was very weird i would have never thought it would have had a BROKEN CRANKSHAFT, and third unplugging wires and removing the front of the truck, and unbolting the motor mounts and taking the oil pan off is not disassembling the engine, the engine is still fully together. It was just takin out not apart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.