The Diesel Stop banner

what is the best programmer for a 2006 6.0L powerstroke

69K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  lubbockguy1979 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. New to the forum here and wanted a bit of advise from you experienced Ford enthusiasts.

I have a solid black 2007 F-250 with an 8" lift, 36" Nitto tires, 18" rims, black and red leather interior, sun roof, and power rear window. I was hoping ya'll could give me some advise on which programmers that I might choose from, to make my truck run as tough as it looks.

With all welcome advise could you please include what kind of results I might expect? (ie. horsepower, torque, and mileage)

Thanks for all of your help!

#2 ·
Our favorite is the SCT with custom tunes by Innovative Diesel. I have it on my personal '05 and have tried alot of the other tuners but nothing compares. A big feature is the SCT actually tunes the tranny where none of the others do. It comes with three tunes.

My mileage went from 14 to 18 on the highway. Truck has 130k on it.

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

James
RSD

#3 ·
Has anyone used the edge evolution? A buddy of mine has it on a duramax and loves it but i didnt know how it does on the 6.0. From what he said with that you dont need the pods because it monitors everything for you, so i was wondering how accurate that actually was.

#4 ·
Has anyone used the edge evolution? A buddy of mine has it on a duramax and loves it but i didnt know how it does on the 6.0. From what he said with that you dont need the pods because it monitors everything for you, so i was wondering how accurate that actually was.
I have used the Edge Juice on my 6.0. The Evolution works good on the Duramax. I guess if I wasn't so performance minded the Edge products are not a bad choice but I do not like the way the tranny shifts with them on.

James
RSD

#5 ·
power programmer for my 6.0

I have several people say that the Banks Six Gun is the way to go on the 6.0. With it's horsepower and torque advancements and the moderate gas mileage upgrade along with it's on the fly switching it has been recomended over many others. Would this be a wise choice or should I take another avenue for a programmer?

#6 ·
Banks is not the best choice. In fact, no shift-on-the-fly set up is generally recommended unless you purchase an additonal programmer with trans only tuning on it.

The Edge Evolution does have actual trans tuning like the SCT (the Edge Juice does not) and works quite well but you are stuck with the "canned" tunes Edge puts into it.

If you want custom tuning, your options are either the SCT or the Gryphon programmer from Power Hungry Performance. The Gryphon is an Edge Evolution that PHP is putting custom tuning on to. It is renamed because Edge has (or is trying to get) CARB certification for their stuff and as such, they cannot do custom programming or allow it to be put onto their programmer and still use the Evolution name.

#7 ·
Good advice. Being a dealer I get the chance to try out alot of products. I ran the Banks Six Gun for a couple months. Good power and mileage but once again I always go back to tranny shifting. Shifts were not clean and very inconstinent under hard throttle.

I always go back to the SCT and a set of gauges on the 6.0.

James
RSD

#8 ·
Canned tuning can get more mpg but at the risk of too much timing. This causes problems with head gaskets in short. Also shif on the fly and lack of trans tuning will kill the tranny with as little as 40hp over stock. You best bet is to do like 90% of the educated 6.0 crowd that has a tuning device. Get a sct, get a nice tow tune with turbo braking, get a good street and/ or race tune and enjoy. A good hot tune will give you mpg and more drivability. Use the skinny pedal to determine if you want to go fast.

#9 ·
I second the SCT. I got mine from River City Diesel. They were awesome to deal with and I got my trans tuned as well. They also have ARP head studs and Black onyx gaskets with their power packages. I even got custom injectors from them. I'd recommend the head studs. Their SCT tunes put out 170hp. You're gonna need to keep your heads intact and the factory studs won't cut it.

#10 ·
Sct from Innovative is what I have and love it!

#12 ·
huh, no wonder. Good info. They're not even studs. What were they thinkin?!

#13 ·
How many programs can the SCT hold including the factory settings? I'm looking for a programmer that can do a low end power for pulling, a program that will gives me good mileage for trips and such, and then the fun program for raw power; the duremax stomper program. And if it can hold my factory settings that would be awsome too so if i ever needed to go back to them for some reason i could.

#14 ·
It's odd, but true. The raw power program and the best mileage program are the same program. I've found this to be true time and again. Don't waste your money on a mileage tune. If you need a pulling tune that is a separate tune, but it sounds like you could get by with two; pulling and hot street. Any tuner will store the factory strategies to allow you to return it to stock later on if needed.

SCT is the way to go if you want max power. A custom tune from Eric at Innovative Diesel is the hottest ticket I've found. He has the world's fastest 6.0 truck. 10.85 in the 1/4. The world's fastest for now anyway...

Ah, dare to dream. I'm sure it will always be the fastest.

#16 ·
Another Bump for Eric at Innovative Diesel, I'll be posting some videos of my Crew Cab Long bed, dually on 22s beating up on some poor hondas >:)

Thats not gonna happen with any other programmer...Stick with SCT and Innovative Diesel!

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
My 2007 F250 Crew 4x4 has been running on SCT with IDP's extreme street custom tune for the last few months and it's incredible! My truck is stock (for now), and if you step into the pedal doing any less than 30mph you'd better have some nice straight blacktop in front of you, or your %)^ is coming around when the tire start smoking. I love it.

I can't wait for my new exhaust, injectors, and turbo to get here.

#19 · (Edited)
// BEGIN THREAD JACK //

I have a 2003 F-250 with a 6.0L PSD.
The motor is studded & EGR'd.
The truck has an 8" lift, 38" tires, 4:56 Gears, Lockers Front & Rear.

For the past 3 years I ran a Banks 6-Gun, usually on the highest setting.
Recently the Banks tuner died.

I want to replace the tuner, but I am leaning more towards a SCT set-up.
I tow occasionally, usually between 6K lbs - 8K lbs or so, usually for distances of 600 miles or so.
I drive the truck daily, anywhere from 75 - 125 miles daily.

What do you guys recommend?

Respectfully,
Cecil

// END THREAD JACK //

#20 ·
// BEGIN THREAD JACK //

I have a 2003 F-250 with a 6.0L PSD.
The motor is studded & EGR'd.
The truck has an 8" lift, 38" tires, 4:56 Gears, Lockers Front & Rear.

For the past 3 years I ran a Banks 6-Gun, usually on the highest setting.
Recently the Banks tuner died.

I want to replace the tuner, but I am leaning more towards a SCT set-up.
I tow occasionally, usually between 6K lbs - 8K lbs or so, usually for distances of 600 miles or so.
I drive the truck daily, anywhere from 75 - 125 miles daily.

What do you guys recommend?

Respectfully,
Cecil

// END THREAD JACK //
See everyones response...Innovative Diesel's SCT.
Question Answered..

#22 ·
hey guys, im new the the forum world, but i just had a question about the edge evolution programmer. i have an 06 f350 6.0L, and i was going through the tunes and i know you can create your own, but im not very clear on all the options and i dont wanna blow my truck up, so i was wondering if anyone had a list i can just copy? like good shifting points, timing, all of it. would help alot, thanks

#23 ·
I'm running a Spartan Phalanx with custom tunes. By far the best gauge/diagnostic tool going IMO. It will also program the FICM as soon as Drew Tech get the unit programmed to do so. Just another option to throw at ya. Do a search here and other forums for more info.

#25 ·
I'm new to the Forum and the 6.0L.

I recently bought an 07 F350 4x4 with 4:30 gears. Fuel milage sucks. Power is great even in the stock form compard to my Hyper tec tuned 02 7.3L F250.

I was given a Bull Dog Power Pup by a buddy. Is it a good turner? He got rid of his truck so it's not like it's messed up or anything. I just want to make sure i'm not going to start having Head Gasket or EGR problems by running it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm new to the Forum and the 6.0L.

I recently bought an 07 F350 4x4 with 4:30 gears. Fuel milage sucks. Power is great even in the stock form compard to my Hyper tec tuned 02 7.3L F250.

I was given a Bull Dog Power Pup by a buddy. Is it a good turner? He got rid of his truck so it's not like it's messed up or anything. I just want to make sure i'm not going to start having Head Gasket or EGR problems by running it.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Honestly, you gambled with that when you bought the truck. I did too. There's guys here that have been running race level tunes on their stock trucks for 100k or more and have had no issues, some ran no tunes and had HG and EGR issues. It's a crap shoot really. If you decide to use it, don't get crazy, keep it on a low setting and you *should* be fine. (be careful if it's still under warranty)

I'm a skeerdy cat though:jester:

Honestly, if you're happy with the power, I'd leave it stock. You won't pick up but maybe 1-2 mpg with a tuner on a good day downhill drafting a semi. :thumbsup:

#29 ·
Hey, im new to the site also and was thinking of buying and sct tuner and getting custom tunes from innovative. i was wondering how much the tunes would cost and if i got the programmer would i have to get new studs? i would rather not spend the 5 or so grand to get them. i dont have the money being that im only 16 and i just got the truck i want what is safest too.
I have an 05 f250 lariat with 125k two tone black and tan, and lots of chrome

#34 · (Edited)
Um you do understand that ARP studs are 500 dollars at MOST... And are the best... Btw its not new studs you dont have studs you just have head bolts. If its completly factory. Hope that helps. And with ANY tunning you need studs. Even stock trucks benefit from studs its one of the first things you do besides either new coolant flush or a EGR delete kit. Along with new gaskets. You could get an entire kit with all gaskets coolant studs and an sct programer for 1500 dollars. :)

#30 ·
SCT......
P:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.