The Diesel Stop banner

What is the REAL difference between F250 and F350

77K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bobsherrie 
#1 ·
I was always curious what the real difference is between these 2 trucks. I have seen lots of things posted, but never saw a post about the whole list. I know about the springs and that is about it. Do they have the same brakes? Frame? I am assuming that there are different rear ends available on the 350 (not counting dually) but was curious. Thanks!

#2 ·
I have seen a difference in front axles, Dana 60 on my F-350 and a Dana 50 on my dad's F-250. The rear axle is the same Sterling 10.5 so no change there as long as you get the SRW config. Obviously the dually came with the Dana 80. There was a difference in blocks in the rear but this seemed to vary between packages too. I believe the brakes on the two trucks are the same also. My dad and I both got the XLT trim and I got the auto headlight function on my switch, my dad did not.

Those are the most noticeable differences between the two trucks parked at my house.

#3 ·
Can of worms====>opened.

There are many threads discussing this. From what I've read it all depends on what model year you're talking about.

#4 ·
Figured as much. I was just curious for our years, 99-03.

#5 ·
I have the same question about my 2002 F350. I need to beef it up to 2002 F550 standards. Buying a 2002 F550 is not an option. Why am I asking? Because like an idiot, I bought a 2010 Jayco 365 BHS 5th wheel and automatically assumed my 2002 F350 would be capable of "legally" pulling it. Well, after two trips to the weight scales, the numbers I saw would indicate otherwise. Telling my wife to go on a diet is also not an option.

All thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Herk

#6 ·
Is the issue the trailer weight or the combined weight? I can see you being over on the trailer weight, but no way on the combined.

#7 ·
Here are the stats from the CAT weight scale tickets:

2002 F350 CC PSD DRW 4WD with 59 gallon internal tank topped off wife and two kids aboard:

- steer axle 4700 lbs
- drive axle 3520 lbs
- gross weight 8220 lbs

2010 Jayco 365 BHS with above mentioned truck:

- steer axle 4900 lbs
- drive axle 5920 lbs
- trailer axle 9620 lbs
- gross weight 20440 lbs

According to the data plate on my truck, Front GAWR is 5200 lbs. Have 300 lbs to spare. Rear GAWR is 8250 lbs. Have 2350 lbs to spare. My total GCWR is 20,000 lbs according to the Ford manual. So, if I am reading my weight slip correctly, I am already 440 lbs over my max GCWR. And I have not even started to load up the "extras"; tools, camping stuff, beach stuff, etc.

#9 ·
My bad, I misread the GCWR as 23,500. It just doesn't make any sense that your truck, which is a 350, dually would have the same rating as mine, 250 SRW. I guess legal is legal, but doesn't seem to pass the sniffer test. BTW, nice 5er you bought. We looked at that one too. Just a little too big for what we were looking for.

#8 ·
Don't worry about GCWR being a bit over. It's a wild guess as it includes a lot of assumptions about the trailer such as frontal area and loading.

Tire and wheel ratings are the critical ones. Axle ratings are just wear and tear unless you really push it.

Weight ratings discussions get heated with folks asserting legal and liability and safety warnings that would make a climate alarmist squirm. Take care and use your own good sense.

#10 ·
Legal is legal...no doubt there. And the Ford manual is quite clear as to the max GCWR. I have my mechanic looking into the upgrade as well. Will post what he says.

In regards to the 5th wheel, they are practically giving these things away nowadays. I got mine for under 40K out the door. And that was with a 7 year extended warranty through Route 66. Tax, title, license, everything for under 40K. What a great deal.

#11 ·
herkybc130,
Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do to change the GCVW rating that is on the sticker. What it was rated for by Ford does not change no matter what you do. And besides, your axle weights on the truck are below their rating so that is not where the problem is. You just have too much total weight. As to "legal" I'll let the "legal experts" give you their opinion as to when that would come into play. I don't know about your state but I have read that in some states you can license the truck for more weight. I guess that would make it "legal" but that doesn't change the door sticker. Good luck!!

dsroka80504,
As to your comment about your truck's rating versus his, the 350 dually can carry more weight due to the extra tires and larger axle but both have the same pulling rating (GCVW). Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.