The Diesel Stop banner

changing glowplug 6.0 2006

69K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Ford06 
#1 ·
anyone know how to change glowplugs on 2006 f260 6.0?? its inder neath i believe has a black cheap connecter i cant seem to get off.

#2 ·
The glow plugs have a bus bar down each side below the valve cover.

i used a wonder bar to GENTLY Pry out evenly om the bar to pop the glow plug connectors loose and then the entire bar can be set aside.

You will need a 10 mm deep well socket and a short extention to reach straigh into the hole and remove the old glow plugs.

WARNING THERE IS NOTHING TO GUIDE THE GLOW PLUG BETWEEN THE HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE VALVE TRAIN GIRDLE AND THE HOLE IN THE HEAD. DO NOT DROP THE GLOW PLUG INSIDE THE ENGINE WHILE CHANGING THEM.

Don't ask me how I know this or how long it took to find a stray glow plug that had falling down inside.

#6 ·
The glow plugs have a bus bar down each side below the valve cover.

i used a wonder bar to GENTLY Pry out evenly om the bar to pop the glow plug connectors loose and then the entire bar can be set aside.

You will need a 10 mm deep well socket and a short extention to reach straigh into the hole and remove the old glow plugs.

WARNING THERE IS NOTHING TO GUIDE THE GLOW PLUG BETWEEN THE HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE VALVE TRAIN GIRDLE AND THE HOLE IN THE HEAD. DO NOT DROP THE GLOW PLUG INSIDE THE ENGINE WHILE CHANGING THEM.

Don't ask me how I know this or how long it took to find a stray glow plug that had falling down inside.
I lost the plug and am working on getting it out. My local diesel shop ran into the same situation. He said stick a magnet in, do some fishing, and then it should come out. What'd you do to get it out?? I know you said don't ask, but I'm in a tight spot now. lol. Thanks!

#3 ·
I ended up destroying the harness on mine, it was very brittle.. They were about $45 each at ford.. So don't feel bad if you break them.

#5 ·
Nope, those would be the injector harness connections. the glow plugs are down by the exhaust manifold. yes they have that cheap-o plastic loom on them it's kind of like a spark plug connector, it goes into the hole and seals with an oring. my 03 has the "Bus bar" the 06's have the sealed plug thing.

#9 ·
My buddy got it out with a camera to where he could get in the hole and see it and then watch the magnet grab it and pull it out. I spent 2 hours with just a magnet and no luck. Sorry for the panic guys! Just a little shocked!

#10 ·
A few more questions...

Hi fellows...

I attempted to change a glow plug this weekend due to a Check Engine Light and the resulting P0671 (Cylinder 1 Glow plug circuit fault) code. Read all I could on this and other threads. Thought it would be fairly easy... it wasn't!

First, I removed the fender well where I had fairly easy access to #1. As recommended on another forum, I took a pair of needle nose pliars and ground them down to where they would fit under the ring at the bottom of each connector to gently pry them up and not break the brittle plastic/rubber piece that connects to the glow plug. That didn't work as it immediately broke.

I went back to the drawing board (Google) and found the following pictures of harnesses for my vehicle (2006 Ford F250 6.0L Super Duty). This was done to (1) see what the heck I had there as it wasn't what I was expecting and (2) to find out what a new harness was going to set me back.

Now... for my questions that I'm hoping someone here won't mind answering:
1. I am assuming I can just pull these old brittle connectors out by using the existing wire that's still connected? Is there a reason to pull the valve covers with this kind of connector?
2. Is this the kind of connector that people talk about where once removed, you can easily drop the new glow plug into the engine as you're installing it?
3. Once the new glow plug is in place, do these connectors just push straight in and snap on to the end of the new plug without any problems? Anything I need to watch out for or do?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might give me.

#11 ·
I've replaced all my glow plugs and installed new harnesses, just to be sure I didn't have issues later.

Yes, you can pull the connectors by the wires...I did it this way on a few.
Be careful to pull at a slight downward angle (the glow plugs are angled slightly downward), as you don't want to put side pressure on the glow plug. If you are replacing the glow plug(s), you might say it doesn't matter, but I would be careful anyway.

I would install the new glow plugs and the glow plug cables just before dropping in the new engine. This will save you a headache (or should I say backache) later.

Before installing my new glow plug cables, I sprayed them with WD40. It makes them go on easier and won't cause electrical problems. WD40 actually works as a drying agent. It pushes water away from the connectors and you don't need to worry about wiping it off.

#12 ·
I did all 8 of mine in January. If you are replacing the harness, just pull on the wires and twist them to get the plugs off. Use a short length of fuel hose that smugly fits on the stem of the glow plug to remove and reinstall them without dropping them into the valve train. I used a deep dish 1/4" drive socket to loosen and tighten them. Sorry i cannot remember the exact socket size. I think it was 10 or 11mm.

#13 ·
I did all 8 of mine in January. If you are replacing the harness, just pull on the wires and twist them to get the plugs off. Use a short length of fuel hose that smugly fits on the stem of the glow plug to remove and reinstall them without dropping them into the valve train. I used a deep dish 1/4" drive socket to loosen and tighten them. Sorry i cannot remember the exact socket size. I think it was 10 or 11mm.
Thanks. The help I was looking for. So... to make sure I'm following you, I remove the connector, loosen the glow plug, and then use the fuel hose to get it out? Guess I'm not really sure how to do that since I can't get close enough to see down in the hole. How far down will the the end of the glow plug be? I'm assuming that if I unscrew it all the way and pull the socket out, the plug is going to fall down into the engine?

#14 ·
It's kinda like changing a spark plug. Break it loose, jam the fuel hose on the end and unscrew it the rest of the way by hand. It's not too deep in there. You'll be able to see it.

Go back the same way...use the fuel hose on the end of the GP to get it started then tighten it up.

I like to use dielectric grease on the tip of the plug and connector to ease installation. Put a dab on and smack it with the heel of your hand and it'll pop right on.

#15 ·
Get you a telescopic magnet from auto zone or some place like that for $10, I have even seen them at harbor freight tools for like $3. works like a charm. if you do 1 plug and destroy the harness I would replace them all and get a new harness. just my thoughts

#16 ·
The hose works really well. You only need 8" or so. The glow plug is not that deep to reach, but the hose gives you a really easy handle to hold it with. It has enough grip on the plug to allow you to unscrew it and screw the new one in easily.

#17 ·
Thanks guys. Great information and I appreciate you sharing.

I am going to buy 3 more glow plugs and the harness for the passenger side. I agree that I might as well change them all while in there. Especially after removing that wheel shroud. I read where someone said they put that back on in 4-5 minutes. I'm in awe. Took me a solid hour to get everything lined back up correctly.

I am also going to use the dielectric grease. Great idea. I work for an electric company so I can easily get my hands on some.

Will post my experience after finishing the job.

#18 ·
Regarding the wheel well.....Get mean with it, it'll pop in. A couple well placed heel kicks don't hurt.:lol:

#19 · (Edited)
T-shaped harness snap covers

Hi All.

Looking for opinions on importance of the small t-shaped harness covers.
These halves snap together over the wire unions below the glow plugs.
They must shield the wires from premature high heat degradation of the insulation.
Are they crucial for keeping heat, oil and dust out of the harness or do they also function as electronic impulse shielding insulators?

The mechanic failed to replace one that came off during installation.
Can they be purchased individually?

Thanks for any info.

#20 ·
From what I saw when I did mine they just bind the plastic harness covers together. Get some good electrical tape (3M) and wrap it up heavily and you will probably be OK. The heat may break down the tape over time, but I don't think it will be a problem. summit Racing used to have some loom connectors like that in their catalogue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.