The Diesel Stop banner

stuttering 6.0

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  speedrcr78 
#1 ·
Ok so here I go with yet another "my 6.0 stutters," but I just want to make sure there are no other possibilities. My truck has a pretty evident stutter or jerk/buck when driving. It has a slightly noticeable miss when idling. The stutter is worst when traveling around 50mph in overdrive up a grade. Sometimes I drive it in TOW mode to keep the rpm's higher which seems to lessen the stutter greatly. I had a new FICM a year ago and 2 new injectors several months ago. Everything points to injectors, but I don't want to throw FORD another $95 just to hook it up again. So my question is are there any other things that may cause this? I have heard that you should always use ford filters, but I had some others already so I have used them the last 2 oil changes along with 2 off brand fuel filters. Filters wouldn't cause this right? I always run rotella 5w40 syn. I cleaned my EGR about 2 months ago. It wasn't dirty at all and didn't seem to help.

#2 ·
Really? no one has any ideas? I guess I better get ready to put some injectors in then.

#3 ·
Sounds like an injector to me. had the same problem. try running some Diesel Kleen through it. autozone. grey bottle unless its pretty cold where you live, then use the white bottle for anit-gelling help. use recommended amount. Maybe that you have some water in the fuel, and this also helps clean injectors. maybe just a dirty injector. let me know what happens. can't beat a $8.00 fix ..

#4 ·
Ok so here I go with yet another "my 6.0 stutters," but I just want to make sure there are no other possibilities. My truck has a pretty evident stutter or jerk/buck when driving. It has a slightly noticeable miss when idling. The stutter is worst when traveling around 50mph in overdrive up a grade. Sometimes I drive it in TOW mode to keep the rpm's higher which seems to lessen the stutter greatly. I had a new FICM a year ago and 2 new injectors several months ago. Everything points to injectors, but I don't want to throw FORD another $95 just to hook it up again. So my question is are there any other things that may cause this? I have heard that you should always use ford filters, but I had some others already so I have used them the last 2 oil changes along with 2 off brand fuel filters. Filters wouldn't cause this right? I always run rotella 5w40 syn. I cleaned my EGR about 2 months ago. It wasn't dirty at all and didn't seem to help.

When does it do this? Warm, Cold, both, either, does not matter? I ask because I have a similar symptom in my truck, however it only does it cold. Once it gets warm it goes away. Also, it is not all of the time, and yes, if the RPMs stay up (greater than 2K in my case) it is never noticed. I attribute mine to either a sticking injector or a weak FICM. I need to check my voltages and possibly do the FIX on my FICM module.

The off brand filters could help attribute to the problem as those filters usually do not allow the bypass valves and anti-drain back valves to operate properly and you could have gotten some contaminated (not properly filtered) oil and/or fuel into the system. I would change all of the filters and do a fresh oil change and put a few miles on it and see if it improves. Likewise, if you can get it scanned to check the FICM voltages and have an injector balance test done, it will help with the diagnosis.

#5 · (Edited)
i'm leaning tored a sticking injector or two.I would try some Sea Foam or REV-X OR even some HHS first much cheaper then buying new injectors.And yes you need to use ford filter a lot of those aftermarket filters do fit properly in your housing.

#6 ·
Already has HSS in it. Does it worse cold but still does it less noticeably hot. Ford put in a new updated Ficm already along with a couple new injectors. I guess I'll swop out all the filters and then start researching how to change my own injectors. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned I couldn't work on myself and I guess it's about time to learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.