The Diesel Stop banner

6.7L DIESEL ENGINE OIL

54K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Dan in Sunny FL 
#1 ·
Ok think i might have messed up. I always ran rotella 15-40 in my 7.3l. I sold it and bought a new 2011 6.7l. I bought a f350 frew cab dually. I just did my first oil change. I have talked to the dealer a few times and the deisel mechanic. He told me to run 10w-30 in my new truck. The book says 10w-30 under normal use. then it says 5w-40 and 15w-40 under extreme conditions. Not sure what they mean buy extreme condition. But I live in the houston Texas area. I pull a 6500 pound tractor about 3 days a week for my side business. I also pull a travel trailer several times a year. So I am not sure what oil to use. I changed it tonight with castrol 10w-30. The book says cj4 or sm. the castrol was sm. So did I screw up. After 60 dollars in oil from walmart and a 22 dollar filter from the dealer. I put it in the truck. What are yalls thoughts and opinions.

#2 ·
Have you looked in your owners manual ???- I believe the 5w40 is the best option with low tempartures ( less than - 10F )

You should probably stick with a good "mid range" oil - but you do not need 5 w 40.....

#3 ·
Yes I have looked and it recomends 3 diffrent kinds of oil. It says 10w-30 under normal use 15w-40 and 5w-40 unders extreme conditions. Just not sure what they mean buy extreme conditions. they also say if you tow more than a 1000 miles. but who knows. In my 7.3l i used 15w-40. and I got 313330 miles on it.

#4 ·
I would dump the Castrol if it is only a SM oil and go get a cj4 oil asap. Seeing that you like Rotella get some in a 10w-30 weight but looking at your towing I might go for some Rotella T-6 5w-40.

#8 ·
X2. Oils rated only with an S followed by another letter (M in this case) are for spark ignition (gasoline) engines only. Oils with a C rating followed by another letter (J is the latest for diesel oils) can be used compression ignition (diesel) engines. If you put only SM oil in there, I'd get it out right away.

#11 ·
Ok I wonder where I can get that t6 5w-40 because all I ever see is the 15w-40. Kinda hard dumping 60 dollars in new motor oil. Could it hurt it if i run it until the next oil change

If you used Castrol GTX it is rated SM only and is for gas engines. You can use 10w30 but it should be CJ rated for diesels. Walmart sells Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic CJ rated for $19.00 gal in Fla. They also have Motorcraft 10w30 Heavy Duty which is rated CJ, don't remember the price, but I think it comes in a 5 qt. jug. If you live where it gets cold get 5w40 your truck will thank you.

#6 · (Edited)
Pulling a few" light loads" a week in Houston- is far from "extreme duty" although it may seem so ;)---- use the 10w30 and you are good to go

No you didnt mess up :)

#9 ·
I get my rotella t6 5w40 at walmart. 19.50 per gallon jug.

#13 ·
Q: the other dumb question I have is why do the put sm in the owners manaul and the oil cap.

A: It can be used in a "worst case" scenario for a short interval.

"Kinda hard dumping 60 dollars in new motor oil."

A: I had to dump $100+ worth (oil is more expensive up here!) of full synthetic PAO 0W-30 when my injector took a crap 200 miles in! I did reuse the filter to save me some $$$. It just bites us in the a$$ every once in a while, plus if there was an oil related failure Ford will have more questions about your choice of oil. IMO it is not worth the chance when oil is cheap compared to a new 6.7.

#14 ·
....Not sure what they mean buy extreme condition. But I live in the houston Texas area. I pull a 6500 pound tractor about 3 days a week for my side business. I also pull a travel trailer several times a year. So I am not sure what oil to use......
Here you go!

Engine lubrication for severe service operation
The following conditions define severe operation for which engine
operation with SAE 5W-40 API CJ-4 is recommended. Oil and oil filter
change intervals will be determined by the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™
as noted previously.
• frequent or extended idling (over 10 minutes per hour of normal
driving)
• low-speed operation/stationary use
• if vehicle is operated in sustained ambient temperatures below -10°F
(-23°C) or above 100°F (38°C)
• frequent low-speed operation, consistent heavy traffic less than
25 mph (40 km/h)
• operating in severe dust conditions
• operating the vehicle off road
• towing a trailer over 1,000 miles (1,600 km)
• sustained, high-speed driving at Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
(maximum loaded weight for vehicle operation)
• use of fuels with sulfur content other than ultra-low sulfur diesel
(ULSD)
• use of high-sulfur diesel fuel

Maintenance and Specifications
2011 Diesel (eco)
Supplement, 5th Printing
USA (fus)

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBF23/~MUS~LEN/33/1160l6d5e.pdf

#17 ·
I don't think I would trust non CJ-4 oil in these beasts. If you accidentally used the regular duty weight oil (10-30) instead of the severe duty (5/15 - 40) I wouldn't worry about it and would just change it a little sooner than later.... However, having put SM oil in...

Personally, I would drain and refill it with the correct stuff. I also think you are borderline severe duty use and would just use that weight oil. (Why worry about it?)

Just my humble .02.

#18 ·
well I made a few phone calls today. I called two diffrent ford dealers. They told me to run the rotella t5 10w-30. So I stopped on the way home and found some at walmart. No auto parts around here had it. So I drained it and put the correct oil in it. thanks guys for all your help. I drive my vehicles to the wheels fall off so I need this one to get over 300,000 like my 7.3l did.

#19 ·
With all due respect to your dealers, I would use the Rotella T6 5w40 if you do any towing. I know that Ford wants to use 0/5w30 to get the best fuel mileage but you want your truck to last. BTW, Ford doesnt since they want you to buy a new truck before 300k miles. Use up the T5 and then switch to the T6 for life. Enjoy your 6.7!!

#25 ·
This is not the 70's or 80's anymore, today's oils are nothing like their old counterparts with the same weight on the front of the bottle (that is the only thing they have in common). For the light towing the OP was doing a good 10w-30 will handle the task with no issues at all, UOA has shown that it will do very well. CAFE fuel consumption does not apply to out Super Duty's so using a 10w/5w/0w-30 is not about saving fuel. I do agree with the use of a 40wt oil for severe duty but today's 30wt's are very good.

#20 ·
x2 on the 5w40 and I wouldn't trust the dealer anyway. When I had my oil changed, I brought in 4 gallons and left with zero. When I asked where the extra was they told me there was none, that the truck held 15 quarts. I told him a. 4 gallons is 16 quarts and b. the truck holds 13 quarts. He argued both with me and told me the book was wrong. Make a long story short, got manager and 3 quarts was pumped out and next oil change is on the house. I have run the 15w40 and the 5w40 and really like the 5w40 for the winter months. Makes a huge difference.

#21 ·
Glad you got your oil changed.

Dsroka - Way to keep the dealer on their toes! I would have been ROFLMAO if I heard you talking with them... Also the reason I hate to have anyone touch my truck.

#23 ·
I had a problem with my dealer of def fluid. Ford sent me a free coupon on a def fill up. When I got there and showed them the coupon the service rider was like umm I don't know anything about this coupon. I was like well Ford motor company sent it to me in a Ford motor company envelope. So I said well I don't know what to tell you but figure it out and let me know when your done with my truck and I am not paying for it. The look on his face was priceless.

#27 ·
Haven't got my truck yet as it is on order,,just doing homework :thumbsup:

I find at local Wally-World Rotella t-5 10W30 Syn. blend in gallon jugs but no qts. Rotella t-6 5w30 full syn. in qts and no gallons. You guys find anything different at your respective WalMarts ?

Have always run the Rotella T 15W-40 in my previous trucks but for this new one I will run the t-5 as a year round oil as it will do fine for the hauling I do (boat 7500lb, 5-6 times a year, 1200 miles round trip) and the climate I live in.

Hopefully WW will get the oil filters in as they have both the previous FL-1995 and FL-2016 Motorcraft filters for the other motors.

#28 ·
First let me say that I understand that driving styles play a huge part of this but it would be interesting to compare recommended oil change interval recommendations from Blackstone Labs for dino, blend and full synthetic oils.

#29 ·
You did not indicate how long you go between oil changes, but I would run that oil for a few thousand miles and definitely switch to 5W40 on the next change.

#31 ·
So if the manufacturer, Ford, specifies CJ-4 and the dash minder is designed around it why run full synthetic? Isn't one of the reasons to run synthetics longer life? If you're just resetting the minder (warranty denial demon) what's the diff between that and more frequent CJ changes?
More confusing is that a friend who works in marine fueling claims one Companies non synth CJ-4 is different than another. Same specs. Makes my head spin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.