The Diesel Stop banner

bad oil leak under powersteering pump

13K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  oopowerstroke4x4 
#1 ·
ok so this morning i went out and started my truck and notice a real bad oil leak. i climbed under the truck and found it leaking underneath the power steering pump on something that heads back towards the oil filter.anyone experienced this problem...my truck is an 00 7.3 litre with 436,000 miles so i know problems are gonna start to happen,but not sure if this is a gasket problem that could be easily fixed or not...also does anyone know where i can a breakdown of the 7.3 litre powerstroke so i have a reference to what this part might be..

#2 ·
It sounds like your engine oil cooler has finally let you know it's there.HA,HA.You can purchase the rebuild kit from ford about $80 I think it's been a long time since I did mine.Your engine coolant runs this cooler as well as your engine oil.It can be a pain in the a@# to do if you have never done it or so I'm told.I paid my mechanic $50 to do it @$25 an hr.

#4 ·
#5 ·
i have been reading up on the engine oil cooler..has anyone personaly had to fix theres..was wondering how hard it is..i recently replaced the o rings in the water seperator..that was a walk in the park,but i have heard this can be difficult.

#6 ·
There are directions on the page I referenced above. I've read where some people had to use a little oomph to get the ends seated again, but for most of us, just lean into it.

#7 ·
I remember doing mine. It wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but wasn't THAT bad. A little lube and like he said, lean into it!

#8 ·
thanks everyone for the help..now i just have to get the money to order my kit and get a day off to install..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.