The Diesel Stop banner

Questions about EGR delete

24K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Boost_Freak 
#1 ·
I just installed a Sinister EGR delete kit on my '05 6.0 powerstroke. After fighting with the clamp on the y-pipe and breaking it, i got a new clamp and finally finished the install (a day later). I drove the truck and could not get it to boost more than 22 psi..... NO MATTER WHAT. The truck was boosting around 32 to 34 before the egr delete. So I came here read some forums and concluded that i had a boost leak. I checked the hose from the intake to the map sensor and no leaks. I then pulled the boots off the pipe from the turbo to intercooler and cleaned all the oil off. Now it will boost around 27 psi when you floor it, stay there until about 80 mph when the torque converter locks and FINALLY go up to 32 psi. Just wondering if lower boost is a side effect of the egr delete???? Sorry for the long post just don't under stand why it takes so long to get full boost.

#2 ·
I may be wrong but 34 is too high of boost # unless you have somekind of program I have been told a exhaust without a cat will have a little lower boost # also do you still have the egr value pluged in?

#4 ·
I do have a superchips program. Just something to hold me over until i get some SCT tunes. Yes i have the EGR valve still in place and plugged in. No check engine light on. Thanks for the replys!

#5 ·
When running with a tuner you want to keep you boost down and definitely with out head studs

#7 ·
As far as I know the 6.0 never incorporated a dpf filter. Is the product your talking about scott for the 6.0 or for the 6.4?

#9 ·
Since I deleted the EGR cooler I find that the truck has less power when cold. This is caused by the egr being out of the loop and the turbo vanes are shut for EGR bypass flow. Then the boost will be low if the flow through the EGR cooler is not there. It gets back to normal once the coolant temperature is above 170F.

I would not have above 23PSI at any time on a stock truck. Its build for that and no more for sure with all the HG problems owners have had

#10 ·
I never boost more than 25lbs. Even on my SCT with the Looney tune (making insane power). BTW, Keep saving for the SCT. The superchips stuff is not custom tunable and won't reprogram your tranny, thus causing very expensive problems. The SCT will offer custom tunes that will keep you safe (or as safe as you can be) without studs.

#12 ·
can you give me some info on who did your SCT tunes? my truck is a 2007 with the delete, 4" turbo back, headstuds, etc and I am on my 6th Innovative tune and I do not care for them. the converter don't lock soon enough and slow starts (never getting over 10 lbs of boost) and the truck goes to 2700-3000 rpms before it shifts. that to me seems like just a waste of fuel.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! After driving the truck for a week now, I've noticed what caissiel said about the truck getting its power back after it warms up. Its definitely running smoother and spools alot faster than before the delete :thumbsup: And mwilbur516 I'm anxiously waiting to get an SCT, just wanted to get the egr crap off first.

#14 ·
The same problems that all " one size fits all " tuners are known for. The biggest of which is smoking the tranny because your tuners DO NOT reprogram for the new power band. Also, head gasket failure. Although any tuner will blow head gaskets if put on the highest power level and run like a dragster without studs, the non-custom tunable tuners are much worse about this. Its mostly due to the fact that there are hundreds of different strategies on these trucks and each one runs different. Your tuners make minimal changes to make a little more power without taking into consideration any specifics of each vehicle. With the SCT or Edge Gryphon, you actually talk to someone and explain what you have modded (Studs, EGR delete, Turbo, Injectors, Intake, etc.) and he/she will build a tune/s made specifically for your vehicle and strategy. The transmission is also adjusted in these tunes to account for the dramatic change in power. The SCT and Gryphon units also rewrite your computer while saving a copy of your stock file so you can go back to a stock setting without leaving a trace of the tuner. Oh and here are a few other things to take into account; tire size, gear changes, more smoke, less smoke, shift firmness, line pressure, boost, cylinder pressure, torque converter settings, WOT shift points, engine braking, along with countless other parameters can be adjusted by a tune writer of the customers choice to achieve the absolute perfect driving experience. Not to mention the incredible power gains achieved by custom tuners while still being able to keep a specific engine as safe as possible. Once again, this is accomplished by knowing the customer, the customers driving habits, the customers vehicle, and its list of mods. You sell a product in a box and never know anything about the person purchasing or the vehicle it will be used on. These tune writers make a living and support their families by make good, safe tunes for individuals and their vehicles. If they build crappy running or unsafe tunes customers will go elsewhere, so they take the time to ask questions and get it right so their reputation stays intact. "One size fits all" tuners will never hold a candle to custom tuners or the custom tune writers that program them and that is a fact.

#15 ·
No response Scott?

#16 ·

Have you tried one of our products to see how it compares? You would be surprised by how much it does and well it does it. Allow me to address the concerns you posted.

Our Superchips tuners save a copy of your stock file and can be returned to stock at anytime without leaving a footprint of ever being installed.

Our tuner does tune the transmission on all of our Ford diesel calibrations to safely handle the extra power and we do offer the same features for shift point adjustment and pressures. We have a gear and tire option available as well.

SCT cannot adjust for tire size because it has to be changed in the abs module which they do not flash. I am not sure if the Edge Gryphon does or not.

While I recommend head studs on any Ford 6.0L tuned or not, our tunes are safe and make as much power as the competitors you listed.

Our calibrators also care about the tunes written, they as well, have families to take care of and depend on producing top notch calibrations.

We do not support some mods like larger turbos or larger injectors. In the huge diesel market, this makes up far less than 1% of the market and most diesel owners limit their modifications to a tuner, exhaust and intake so that is where we find our tuning in use. With the other 99%.

Scott

#17 ·
After I had the EGR delete done, my boost wouldn't go over 21psi. I did not have a check engine light, but my truck went in to "EPA limp mode".
So, I got the SCT with EGR turned off and now I'm back to 28psi boost. If you're getting 28, your fine. I think over 30 you're risking stretching the head bolts.
A guy on another forum with a 2005, had the delete done at the same time, by the same mechanic and his boost was normal after the delete. We both have build dates of Dec 2004. It seems 2005 trucks react differently to the delete for some reason.

#20 ·
After I had the EGR delete done, my boost wouldn't go over 21psi. I did not have a check engine light, but my truck went in to "EPA limp mode".
So, I got the SCT with EGR turned off and now I'm back to 28psi boost. If you're getting 28, your fine. I think over 30 you're risking stretching the head bolts.
A guy on another forum with a 2005, had the delete done at the same time, by the same mechanic and his boost was normal after the delete. We both have build dates of Dec 2004. It seems 2005 trucks react differently to the delete for some reason.

I had studs and egr delete done at the same time and bought 3 custom tunes from ID. on extreme street and my tow program full tilt (not towing) boost only goes to 20-21 lbs. towing I will boost to 28-30 lbs. do you think I am in some type of limp mode? if so how do I correct it?

#18 ·
Thanks for the info. I will be getting an SCT very soon. And Scott I am not knocking Superchips at all because I have been VERY happy with my flashpaq tuner. It done alot more than i thought it would for power. Dropped my 1/8th mile time from 10.4 to 9.19! With no other mods than the flashpaq. I'm just wanting to get into the 8.50's range and SCT seems to be the way to get there.

#19 ·
Alright Scott, I have had Superchips tuners before. I had one on my 2006 Silverado w/ the 5.3L. I've also used Hypertech and ProComp programmers. The SCT's do reprogram for GEAR AND TIRE changes (do your homework). The simple fact of the matter is that your tuners do not do what the custom tuners can. They never will either. I would never recommend any programmer other than the SCT or Gryphon to anyone with a 6.0l Ford simply because as you stated, most people put an exhaust, intake and programmer on and thats it. Then they set it on the highest hp setting possible and drive it like a dragster. Without a custom tuner asking the question " Are you studded?", they have a ticking time bomb. These trucks won't handle that for long. And just for the record, I also dislike the canned tunes on the SCT's for the very same reasons I listed about your programmers. I think your product is fine for your everyday gasser, but not these trucks.

#21 ·
The custom tuners are programming much more than just boost to achieve higher power levels. As a result you gain horse power and torque while reducing boost numbers and fuel usage. 20-21 psi does seem a little low. I'm still getting 24-25 on my I.D. street tune and 26ish on my Looney.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.