The Diesel Stop banner

Blowing instrument cluster and throttle fuse

19K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  plugugly 
#1 ·
uncles 2001 f250 keeps blowing the instrument and throttle fuse, where should i start looking for a short? thanks!

#2 ·
OD Shifter wires are probably broken. Check and or replace shifter. Thats where I would start.

#3 ·
#5 ·
#6 ·
Now thats good old American ingenuity!!! got any pics?

#7 ·
Haven't seen a 2001 but should be the same as a 1999. Shifter lever with OD button is $58 at dealer. Three phillips head screws underneath the steering column holding the cover, remove it, then to remove the key cartridge, there is a pin bottom side of key, push it up and pull cartridge out, top cover comes off then, one pin or bolt holds the shift lever in, unplug connector. If the wire is bare just repair it or install new lever. Check it out before buying new lever, don't take long to do.

#10 ·
bringing up an old one. I keep blowing this fuse. Finally pulled the column covers today, and the wiring looks fine.

So is the shifter itself going bad? Something internal that I can not see? Does not hapen when depressing the OD button. So far only while at idle, thankfully

#11 ·
Sometimes it is difficult to see the chafe point. I have even seen the wires fail right where they enter the shifter stalk. Typically the short occurs when shifting from park to drive and the wires are moving. I see them chafe on the upper shift tube where they drag across and also on the shifter opening boot bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.