The Diesel Stop banner

Radiator replacement...

26K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  senix 
#1 ·
Betsy goes in tomorrow for a radiator replacement. Tech said that it has a crack aside of the drain plug. I noticed from time to time a drop or two directly below the front bumper on the drivers side...I just dismissed it as moisture coming off the truck in the morning or I had run through a puddle or something. About ten days ago I got under and looked and I could see what I thought looked like tranny fluid... had what I thought was the reddish look (condenser lines running right above where the fluid was). Took it in was standing there when the tech crawled under said nope orange radiator fluid. They topped off the overflow gave me the remainder of the gallon and sent me on my way said they would call me when the radiator was in. Got a call Tues said it was in I told them I would leave it with them Thursday evening and pick it up Friday afternoon. In the mean time that drip has now turned into a little more than a drip it leaves about a saucer size spot every time I park for more than thirty minutes. Over night it will leave a dinner plate size spot. I had under 36000 mi on it when I took it in a week ago but now its has over 36000 mi hopefully there will be no issues. Does the radiator fall under the power train warranty? Just curious....

Bruce

#3 ·
A couple of days ago I had the expansion tank cover replaced (warranty of course). The cover would not hold enough pressure - consequently I was loosing about a quart of coolant over 1000+ miles by evaporation. I noticed from the start that I could smell coolant when I got out of the truck after driving a while, but I could never find any leaks or drops and never saw any change in engine oil level.

If you smell coolant after driving for a while - check that cover!

#5 ·
Thanks for the information. I've only got 700 miles on mine, but I can smell either coolant or maybe just the new engine breaking in...after I drive the interstate and get the engine hot. I'll monitor the cap!

#7 ·
Betsy goes in tomorrow for a radiator replacement. Tech said that it has a crack aside of the drain plug. I noticed from time to time a drop or two directly below the front bumper on the drivers side...I just dismissed it as moisture coming off the truck in the morning or I had run through a puddle or something. About ten days ago I got under and looked and I could see what I thought looked like tranny fluid... had what I thought was the reddish look (condenser lines running right above where the fluid was). Took it in was standing there when the tech crawled under said nope orange radiator fluid. They topped off the overflow gave me the remainder of the gallon and sent me on my way said they would call me when the radiator was in. Got a call Tues said it was in I told them I would leave it with them Thursday evening and pick it up Friday afternoon. In the mean time that drip has now turned into a little more than a drip it leaves about a saucer size spot every time I park for more than thirty minutes. Over night it will leave a dinner plate size spot. I had under 36000 mi on it when I took it in a week ago but now its has over 36000 mi hopefully there will be no issues. Does the radiator fall under the power train warranty? Just curious....

Bruce
Mine is getting a new radiator today. Mine was leaking in the same spot.

#8 ·
New rad too

Hi to all
2011 f350 Lariat CC 4x4 with 85000 km
Well just got mine back from the dealer last week, same thing slow leak at the drain area. I bought mine in july last year and notice a fluid lose in the fall, by the spring when I found the leak area I was out of warranty(72000) km. the dealer advised me they would cover the cost, 1100.00 minus 200.00. They are good guys I could have been stuck with the whole bill. There is always a BUT in these things, I noticed on the invoice when I picked up the truck that is stated "units sold between March and sept of 2010 could have defective rads" soooo guys keep a close eye on your fluid levels.
Don

#9 ·
Mine is at the dealer now with the same issue. I have about 42,000 miles and the dealer says it is $1700 to replace the radiator! This is ridiculoius. when I buy a $60K+ truck, I should be able to expect the radiator to not leak! I've asked him to check to see what he can do.

Wondering if Ford Customer Service on here might be able to help?

#11 ·
My dealer is working on this now. I'll let you know if I need further help. thanks.

#12 ·
Might I suggest FORD as an acronym for Failed On Radiator Design............ :)

#14 ·
At 32000 mi i've notice a very small dime size drop where i park in my garage every a couple of days.
Took it in and found a leak around the drain plug,it took them about 4 days to get the new radiator......36000 mi now with the new rad with no issues.

#15 ·
BOYERAZ - The truck is at the dealer now, so I don't have the ability to take a picture, but my issue is the same as 6.7psd had - a crack in the radiator around the drain plug. I should get it back today with a new radiator. Ford/dealer is covering the cost of replacement even though it is out of warranty, with a $150 deductible.

#16 ·
Will be contacting dealer tomorrow, just noticed same drip at drivers side lower front near drain plug at 32,000 miles. I think i may have fixed the death wobble finally with epic's stabilizer/ shocks replacement and now this!:icon_mad: Was up under truck today checking steering suspension components and noticed first drip on driveway. IMHO, we pay entirely too much money for these trucks to be having problems like this!

#18 ·
Dealer said today it was cracked- drip runs down to that corner and off drivers side frame rail below so could not verify exactly where but don't think it is simply the plug. Apparently a post from ford truck world says build dates of mar-sep2010 have bad radiators due to service ticket some guy received after his replacement. My diesel techs say this will b the first 6.7 they have had to replace but he showed me two 6.4 s in the shop right now for the same problem so they r aware of the issue. Surely Ford would not put same faulty manufactured radiators in these trucks but u never know. Should b fixed tomorrow - will post update

#19 ·
Dealer said today it was cracked- drip runs down to that corner and off drivers side frame rail below so could not verify exactly where but don't think it is simply the plug. Apparently a post from ford truck world says build dates of mar-sep2010 have bad radiators due to service ticket some guy received after his replacement. My diesel techs say this will b the first 6.7 they have had to replace but he showed me two 6.4 s in the shop right now for the same problem so they r aware of the issue. Surely Ford would not put same faulty manufactured radiators in these trucks but u never know. Should b fixed tomorrow - will post update
Mine was leaking exactly the same way. It's a very slow leak.

#21 ·
U might check posts in ford truck enthusiast/world from guy who posted that info, i will post when my truck is returned to me if i get anything similar on my replacement ticket. I am lucky my truck only has 32K on it and they gave me no flack about the replacment of mine. Cory (Ford Customer Service) might want to verify or chime in if he can confirm those dates too for the ones built Mar-Sep 2010. My truck has build date May 10 so it definitely fit the bill

#22 ·
Just google "radiator leak 6.7 ford truck enthusiast" and the thread reads like below and also there is a second thread that shows a pic of the exact same thing mine was doing .......................

posted by Roadtech
Hi guys, had mine replaced at 75000 km, of course it was off warr. The truck is used for my work that is why the warr was out 10 months into owning it. The long and short of it is the rads put in at the factory from march 2010 until sept 2010 were "defective" so says my work order. I complained to the dealer about having a 10 month old truck that needs a rad, so in the end I paid 200.00 dollars of the 1100.oo dollar bill.
I have 120000km on it now and all is good, you will notice the new rad does look differant.
Good Luck

I will see if my ticket mentions anything when i get mine back today
hope this helps anyone with similar issues
Brian

#23 ·
Picked up truck today at lunch with new radiator and service guy states there is a TSB for trucks during a certain time built with bad radiators. I dont have a copy of my paperwork with exact number because it is being mailed to me but those of you with earlier build trucks might want to keep a close eye out on these things.

#24 ·
For any of u guys that are out of warranty these radiators are available in the aftermarket now.

#25 ·
Anyone with the leak, did you lose enough to empty the coolant reservoir? I have 14,000 miles on my truck and the "Check coolant additive" message came on. Checked the coolant and the reservoir was completely empty. Filled it up to the line with the "orange" coolant from the dealer, but haven't had time to look for a leak yet.

j

#26 ·
Look in owner's manual. Check Coolant Additive has nothing to do with coolant level in bottle. It is a service reminder notice. Your coolant's additive will deplete and need to be checked and brought back to correct level if not OK.

#27 ·
Look in owner's manual. Check Coolant Additive has nothing to do with coolant level in bottle.
I know the message is just telling me to check the "quality" of the coolant. I should have been clearer about it. The message just reminded me to check all my fluids.

Either way, anyone else have an emptied reservoir in 14,000 miles. I only use the truck to tow during race season. It has sat since early November until last week when I used it to pick up some lumber. That's when I saw the message and decided to check all the fluids.

j

#28 ·
I had just noticed the leak when it started dripping on the concrete driveway and took it in to the dealer the next day. My reservoir was still at an adequate level and not empty. It appeared to be a very slow leak so i would think it would have to do that for sometime before it would empty the reservoir

#29 ·
This is not good news, I took delivery of a 2012 in september to replace an 2008 450 that had three radiators in 45k miles. I had hoped ford would have figured out the issues in the 4yrs new version. After reading your guys post I will be keeping a very close eye on my new truck.

#30 ·
I have a 2011 super duty with a leak on the radiator in the same spot as everyone else, drivers side bottom. I have 96,000 miles on it and my ford service center said that it bus getting replaced but it isn't under warrenty. Is there a problem with this year radiator that ford is replacing? Can someone help me not have to pay 1100 dollars for this! I thought it would fall under the power train warrenty. Can someone help me please!!

#31 ·
Radiators only fall under the 36/36 bumper to bumper unless you have an extended warranty.

Weak design using plastic since 2008 MY. Contact ford cust svc and see if they will at at least share the cost since it is a defective design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.