The Diesel Stop banner

backup camera with mirror image add on

8K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  sredmyer 
#1 ·
i would like to add a backup camera to my 2008 f250 cc kr but i do not know what i need and how much trouble it would be to install i want to put a new mirror in because mine now only has the auto dim i was wanting a nav system in the dash but i wanted to put the camera in the mirror i was wanting the get the camera on the tailgate handle but i did not know if all the tailgate had the hole for the wiring harness and just a plug if not used or what and i will need to run a harness from the tailgate to the mirror and so on if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

#3 ·
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f151/added-oem-backup-camera-mirror-278219/

If you have any questions let me know. I'm in the process of doing my 2010 CC SB Lariat now. Came up with a mirror and camera on ebay for $250 and ordered another tailgate handle from tasca. This one I didn't get a chunk of harness with the plug on it for the mirror so I might have to order the roof harness just to get the plug.

#4 ·
#5 ·
email this guy

he has a kit to add camera, sync, 09 nav radio etc.

my nav is almost done

steve@ripitdigital.com

#7 · (Edited)
As some of you know from my post on other forums, a several months back I completed designing and building a custom harness to allow the nearly plug-n-play install of the newer Ford OEM :ford: navigation with Sync in my 2008 Super Duty.

As a continuation of that project I added a custom camera system which originally just added a front camera and a custom steering wheel switch to allow turning the camera display on (regardless of what gear the truck is in) and switching the display between the two cameras.

Well I have now completed what I believe (and my wife hopes) is the final part of this project. This final part just adds a couple more cameras to the system and some pretty cool (at least I think they are cool :)) features for controlling the cameras/display. With this new four camera ability it is now possible to have a standard backup camera on the tailgate of the truck, a front camera to aid in nose in parking, a camera inside a trailer and finally a camera on the rear of the trailer. The camera inside the trailer will allow you to see your load while driving to be sure nothing has shifted or if you are hauling livestock (ie. horses) you can check on their well being. The trailer's back camera provides the same features as a normal backup camera on the truck (displays automatically when the truck is shifted into reverse) but it shows the view behind the trailer since the view behind the truck itself is of little value when backing a trailer. Which rear camera is displayed (truck or trailer) is dependant on whether or not a trailer is connected.

So how does it all work you ask...well, anticipating that some would be curious, I created a short video demonstrating the camera system.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.