The Diesel Stop banner

Easiest way to find TDC

20K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  standbypowerguy 
#1 ·
Ok, I screwed up when I pulled my IP off and didn't replace the drive gear in the exact position I pulled it off at. Now I need to find TDC so I may replace the drive gear in the proper position. I couldn't get the IP out without removing the gear housing so....I have to get it back to the right position but can not see the timing mark on the top of the camshaft gear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Robert

#2 ·
#3 ·
Talk about timing .....will give you what you need to fix the problem........ click on the BLUE words and pictures show up......

No need to remove the front cover if all you did was remove the gear housing with the IP.

#4 ·
Ok. I goofed up and unintentionally hijacked another post with my problem. Apologies are necessary. Won't happen again.

Thanks for all the input. Call me stupid if you want but, I am still struggling with the marks on the plate in relationship with the dampener. How many revolutions does the crank make per stroke? Or, When the marks are in alignment does that always indicate TDC. I guess it's the question of compression stroke or exhaust, right.

Thanks again for all the help and sorry again for stepping into someone else's post.

Rob

#5 ·
I am still struggling with the marks on the plate in relationship with the dampener. How many revolutions does the crank make per stroke? Or, When the marks are in alignment does that always indicate TDC. I guess it's the question of compression stroke or exhaust, right.
The camshaft turns at half the speed of the crankshaft, so there are two crankshaft revolutions per cycle. Although the #1 piston is at the top of its stroke every time the crankshaft marks are in alignment, the boundary between the compression and power strokes (TDC) only occurs every other crankshaft rotation. That's why you need the marks on the camshaft. If you've got a few extra minutes to read it, Wikipedia provides a good explanation of the four-stroke cycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.