The Diesel Stop banner

2005 F350 Still WON'T Start

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  bigwhite1 
#1 ·
Got a 200 King Ranch F350, had oil cooler, egr, batteries and FICM replaced. It still wont start. Dealership called and said they MIGHT have an idea of what the cause is. High pressure fuel pump. Can't afford any more parts. Anyone know what might be causing this? P.S. Its our first diesel truck.

#2 ·
It doesn't have a high pressure fuel pump. Instead it has a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) that uses and distributes engine oil as a hydraulic fluid to the injectors (injectors have an intensifier piston that is oil driven).

The 2005 HPOP is not that unreliable, but it is common to have leaks in the high pressure oil distribution system. The dealership needs to do an air pressure leak test - if they do not have any codes to go by. Do not let them condemn the HPOP without tests that backup this decision to spend your $$. Common leak points are the STC fitting, standpipes, and dummy plugs.

Who did all of the initial work?

#3 ·
Our local Ford dealership. They replaced the oil cooler and egr. Then they said the batteries died and they had to jumpstart it to test drive. They told me to get both batteies replaced so I ok'd it. Then it still wouldn't start so they told me that computer scan said it was the FICM. They got that replaced and it still won't start.

#4 · (Edited)
Were you losing coolant before? Did you have oil in the coolant "degas bottle"? Did you get a code for excessive temperature differential between oil and coolant temps?

I guess I am wondering why the replacement of the oil and EGR coolers?

Unfortunately when you have bad batteries, a FICM failure is a "common after effect".

#5 ·
Coolant was refilled twice in the 3 months we had it. I noticed oil under tire well after we brought it home from a rodeo. So I popped the hood and saw it came from the coolant reservoir. It had thick gray mud-looking gunk in it. I called the dealership and another local garage. I took it to the garage first. They said they would flush out the mud, they replaced oil cooler only and coolant was still same after test driving it. they then said I had a cracked cylinder that's when I took it to Page Ford. I drove it fine to the 2 miles to the dealership. I had an oil change 4 days before all this happened.

#6 ·
Well when you see the mud, you are almost certainly in for expensive repairs. They did what they should have! Most shops will also replace all of the hoses (oil degrades the rubber) AND the Radiator/Heater Core.

Be sure to ask them about the pressure tests.

#8 ·
see post #2

#9 ·
you need a high pressure oil pump more than likely!!! You pretty much have to remove the intake and all the stuff on the top to get to it from what I hear. It would have been the perfect time to have replaced the hpop when they did the egr and oil cooler's!

#10 ·
As I said, he could need a high pressure oil pump - especially w/ the oil cooler failure. However - It is just as likely to be a leak in the high pressure oil piping. If so, it will be quite a bit cheaper not to have to buy a new HPOP. Why jump to the most expensive conclusion without testing?

#11 ·
i just got mine back and it had the same issue-no start. turns out it was the stc, they also found the injector o rings were bad and the glow plugs were hand loose. while it was in i had the head gaskets replaced as i had the puking issue for a while. oil cooler was also plugged. all this wrong after only 120k. $8 k for the fixes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.