The Diesel Stop banner

Can I remove my turbo without taking off the intake manifold?

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jimmy 
#1 ·
Is it possible to replace the turbo without removing the intake manifold?

The reason I need to know this is because I would rather not have to lift both the intake and the turbo into place at the same time. I had trouble removing the intake manifold before unbolting the turbo. The tab on the back of the intake that bolts to the EGR cooler would not clear the turbo, so after unbolting the turbo I slid the intake manifold out from under it. If I can get the turbo on after the intake is all buttoned up this will make everything a lot easier.

#3 ·
I have taken my turbo out 3 times and never even considered also taking out the intake manifold. I take out the air intake and the CAC piping. Then I find a comfortable position to lay down on the engine while I take the bolts and clamps off. I don't have a major problem getting it out, I always fight it going back in.

#4 ·
AFAIK you need to take of the turbo before you take off the intake manafold...don't ya??? Taking off the intake without first removing the turbo looks like it would be TOUGH.

#5 ·
Remove the push in retainer buttons for the wiring harness conduit that is above turbo and wire it up above using wire hooked onto the wiper blade arm.
Remove the exhaust pipe band clamp and then push the pipe back and wedge a 2x2 between pipe and back of intake to keep the pipe back out of way.
Remove the oil feed line and the VGT solenoid wire. Remove the intercooler and in let hoses. Remove the exhaust inlet (Y pipe) band clamp.
Remove the three 10mm hex bolts for turbo. pry up the pass side of turbo as that facilitates the exh inlet pipe freeing itself from turbo as the that piep points at a downward angle. With the pass side of turbo angled up now pry up the driver's side of turbo. You have to lift as the turbo drain tube sticks up into the bottom of turbo and turbo has to be lifted above that so it will slide to pass side to come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.