The Diesel Stop banner

High Pressure Fuel Pump

72K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  hatchnit 
#1 ·
Friend of mine took his 08 F250 in to a specialty shop today cause yesterday on his way home he was losing power. At times he couldn't get over 60 mph and at time it took a while to get up tp 75 mph. The check engine light did come on. This morning everything was back to normal. Took it to the shop to get checked out and the code was for the High Pressure Fuel Pump.

They quoted him a price of $3,500 for this repair. Is this a fair price. Mentioned they have to remove the cab to replace.

Does this sound like the correct symptoms for the high pressure fuel pump?

#4 ·
that is way too high!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had mine done at dealer was 800 all i paid was 100 deductible. i was out of warranty but they know they are junk it is not a cab off repair i belive your friend is getting bent over good
While $3500 does seem high, there is no way they could have done it for $800 anytime recently. I can't even buy all of the parts from Ford for that.

#5 ·
Mattyboy has no profile info but I think he is thinking 6.0. HPFP on 6.4 is BURIED under turbos and plumbing and if the cab wasn't in the way it would still be a bear of a job.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, a good buddy of mine had his HPFP go out, and they pulled his cab off. It's pretty pricey too. Hope you're still under warranty man. It would have cost him 2500 without it.

#8 ·
Yeah, $800 seems awfully low for the amount of work involved.

#10 ·
The hardest part is getting the stock turbo's out. Once you get them out of the way, it's not that hard to complete. FWIW, we charge 15.2 hours of labor just for R&R, factory pump is around 1400 + core, then we require new fuel filters, and you will also need a stock turbo install kit. Again, the time is lengthy because the stock turbo's are not fun to pull with cab on.

#12 ·
Not that i've heard of, at least from ford. Which is all we use when we do these pumps and even dual fueler kits. Aftermarket, maybe.
Here's some part numbers for you gents:
Ford Reman K16 Pump: 8C3Z9A543DRM
Install Kit: 8C3Z9G805B

#13 ·
PROPER DIAGNOSIS!!!

An open in the FRP sensor ground can give you the same EXACT results.

I have replaced more FRP sensors ($45) and injector wiring harnesses ($150) than I have HPFPs.

#14 ·
I am having issue with a proper diagnosis, I am working on on a 2008 ford f350 6.4 and have pulled trouble codes p0087 & P2291. I have replaced the FRP sensor, fuel sending unit, low pressure fuel pump both fuel filters and still have no joy. These codes do not send me in the direction of the HPFP. I am not getting any pressure at the test port & fuel is flowing from the low fuel pump into the top fuel filter. What else would you do to isolate the problem?

#16 ·
These P0087 and P2291 codes almost always lead to the HPFP especially with the lack of any other codes present and normal engine oil level. I don't know what diagnostics you are following but if you have eliminated the low pressure system, replaced the FRP sensor that ONLY leaves the HPFP. There are two scenarios. One is there is a fault with the Volume Control Valve or the Pressure control valve which can only be serviced by replacing the pump. The second is damage to the sytem caused by contamination that creates metal debris. If the first, just replacing the pump is all that is needed. If the second, the entire high pressure system needs to be replaced, the low pressure pump and fuel cooler need to be replaced as well as flushing all of the supply and return lines and the fuel tank. That explains the high cost of the repair.

Keep in mind that diagnostics with "conditional codes" like these that indicate a symptom and not directly point to a component or circuit typically will have the technician go through a process of verification and elimination before condemning a component. In this case the HPFP. Unless you have codes pointing directly to the control valves on the pump or physical evidence that the pump has failed (debris) then the process of elimination is the only way to diagnose a bad HPFP.

#18 ·
These P0087 and P2291 codes almost always lead to the HPFP especially with the lack of any other codes present and normal engine oil level. I don't know what diagnostics you are following but if you have eliminated the low pressure system, replaced the FRP sensor that ONLY leaves the HPFP. There are two scenarios. One is there is a fault with the Volume Control Valve or the Pressure control valve which can only be serviced by replacing the pump. The second is damage to the sytem caused by contamination that creates metal debris. If the first, just replacing the pump is all that is needed. If the second, the entire high pressure system needs to be replaced, the low pressure pump and fuel cooler need to be replaced as well as flushing all of the supply and return lines and the fuel tank. That explains the high cost of the repair.

Keep in mind that diagnostics with "conditional codes" like these that indicate a symptom and not directly point to a component or circuit typically will have the technician go through a process of verification and elimination before condemning a component. In this case the HPFP. Unless you have codes pointing directly to the control valves on the pump or physical evidence that the pump has failed (debris) then the process of elimination is the only way to diagnose a bad HPFP.
I am having the same trouble. Ford just quoted me $14,500 to change hpfp and system due to metal debris stating the pump in beginning stage of failure. Ford recommendation is to replace injection, rails, tubes and all sensors. Is this all necessary or will just changing the hpfp and sensors, filters and cleaning tank be adequate? Why does everything need changed? Seems like a money making deal?

#19 · (Edited)
1.4K? WAYYYYYYYY too high. What gets replaced depends on what the diagnosis and inspections reveal. If there was no debris found in the system I would go with just the pump... but that's just me. The codes in this topic are usually caused by a faulty pressure or volume control valve which are part of the pump. It is labor intensive and there are different ways of going about it. I would get another opinion before moving on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.