The Diesel Stop banner

New 2012 Ford F250 Fuel Versus Fuel Tank

38K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  larrgh 
#1 ·
I have a new 2012 Ford F-250 4x4 crew cab shortbed truck. Supposedley 26 gal. tank. I have filled it twice, and the fuel economy was down to 15 miles to empty, low fuel light on on computer guage. I filled to top of filler neck and only got 22.4 gallons in tank. My old 2002 truck same specs. I could get 28 gallons in to top of filler neck, is computer off? Wow! only about 300 miles, on new truck was expecting more. Other fill up, got 18 gal. and 65 miles to empty. What happened to 26 gallons.

#2 ·
The fuel capacity is one of the reasons I went with a longbed this time around. As far as your ACTUAL capacity, I don't know why its only taking 22.5 - Kind of disappointing. You can always put a bigger tank in the truck. Transfer Flow makes an excellent product. Watch out for Titan, they have had a LOT of problems with the tank bung not sealing, and letting water into the tank which then destroys the fuel system at your expense.

#3 ·
I have the same issue. In fact I have had this issue on all Fords that I have owned with trip computers. A crown Vic that I had, and my Lincoln LS will read 0 miles to empty with about 2 gallons of fuel in the tank. I know that the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank, so I wonder if the trip computer reads zero early to protect the pump?

#4 ·
I've been meaning to pose this question. Same going on here. 20-21 gal going in when the truck is empty. 26 gal tank. Where's the other 5 gal?

My Toyota is dead nuts. Light comes on dim but solid, you got maybe 40 miles. Burning bright you are on fumes, maybe a gallon left in the tank.

#6 ·
What Toyota is that?? The Tundra I had (and several others on another forum) would operate as described above. Took a 5 Gal fuel can with me and drove until the thing shut-off - got 75 miles past the 0 miles to empty. I DON'T advise doing this on our diesels as air is a much bigger problem on these then on a gasser...

I had a shortbed as a loaner for awhile and it behaved like that - annoying as at just over 200 miles I felt like I had to start looking for a place to fill-up. And then the fill-up was only 16 gal. - 18 gal. So I learned to drive further - and also, I trust the computer for gallons used, it always seems to be within .1 - .2 gal of what I actually put in. The problem is that you have to TRUST that you have 26 gal of useable fuel. But you should be able to at least drive until it says you used 22-23 gal safely. I like to keep more than 1/2 full at all times anyways, which is why the 26 gal tank was annoying to me.

Anyone run out by accident in either a SB or a LB and completely top off so we have an idea of useable fuel? (not that I like to run it down all the way, but it would be nice to know just how far you REALLY have left, before you get to use Nike to get to where you need to go)

#5 ·
All longwise mounted large fuel tank vehicles I have had had an issue with fuel gauge accuracy like y'all are describing. IF you park 'em uphill or down hill they read wrong since fuel runs to end of tank. I think if they scaled it to let you get it really low you'd run too much of a risk of running out on hilly drives and such.

I have F350 and heavy chassis F450. 350 is long next to frame mount tank and 450 is aft of rear axle and is a more cube like tank. 450 gauge lets you utilize more of the capacity to get to empty.

#7 ·
Just had that REAL concern on a trip back to dfw -
in the middle of nowhere I realized the 5er and wind were eating my mpg....
said 30 miles to empty (is that an accurate calculation ?!? )

slowed down, drafted 18 wheelers, turned ac off :)
just to find out I only filled up with 22 gal after going out of my way trusting the gps KNEW where a station really was ?!?

Did NOT want to push the 5th wheel !!! :)

#8 ·
Never trust your DTE! :nono:

The way the DTE amount is calculated is kinda weird. When the computer senses that you have added fuel, it takes the last MPG calculation (say 18 mpg as an example) and uses it in the DTE calculation with how much fuel has been added (calulated by sensing change in fuel gage). So if the truck senses a 10 gallon change in fuel quantity and you were getting 18 mpg last reading, it will increase your DTE by 180 miles. Not a very acurate way to calculate a reading.

If you want to have some fun and get a real high DTE (false) reading, reset your MPG reading as you are pulling up to a fuel stop and coast into the pump, your MPG could be over 50 MPG and then pump your fuel..... messing around like that I have had my DTE say I had over 800 miles one time, which would be awsome but totally false!

#9 ·
There is a setting to make the DTE based on the fact your are towing. I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember running into that setting somewhere. I don't trust DTE, but I do trust how much fuel I have used in the trip computer area -

#10 ·
when my light comes on, I usually have 5-6 gallons left.... E is not E.... its "get gas soon or ur ass will be walkin" light. Sometimes I'll go another 50-60 miles with the light on....

#11 ·
Not to be a smart ass - but that Titan replacement (50 gallon) is money well worth it! :)

#12 ·
Not to be a smart ass - but that Titan replacement (50 gallon) is money well worth it! :)
I was quoted $1375 at a trim shop near where I live for this addition.

Hmm, $500 for air bags + $1375 for a real fuel tank (+$100 at dealer to get DTE recalculated) - in order to make the truck be what it should have been from the factory.........:thdown:

I was crawling around under the truck the other day and noticed the amount of unused space where a larger fuel tank could have been- shame on you Ford, WTH were you thinking?
Your gas 1/2 tons come with bigger tanks...

#14 · (Edited)
As noted before, maybe it's because of gvw and payload concerns that they went with the smaller tank (that they probably already used on other vehicles)...

if they put say a 50 gal tank - that's 24 more gal @ around 6 lb per gal = 140+ lbs LESS payload in a crew cab vehicle that's already a porker....

but still love my truck - as we get older, we have to make more and more stops for potty breaks anyway :)

How many of you researched the fuel tank size before buying ?!? So why is it Ford's fault ?

#15 ·
As noted before, maybe it's because of gvw and payload concerns that they went with the smaller tank (that they probably already used on other vehicles)...

if they put say a 50 gal tank - that's 24 more gal @ around 6 lb per gal = 140+ lbs LESS payload in a crew cab vehicle that's already a porker....

but still love my truck - as we get older, we have to make more and more stops for potty breaks anyway :)

How many of you researched the fuel tank size before buying ?!? So why is it Ford's fault ?
Hmm, weight savings for a higher GVWR. Well heck that makes sense.

That must be why my three quarter ton truck only has 3 leafs on each side in the rear, just think of all the extra weight I can haul now that I don't have additional leafs and overload springs to haul around :lol:.

I kid, I Kid. :jester:

So, I take it the 3/4 ton's with long beds have way lower GVWR's considering all the extra weight of the extended shaft, bed and fuel tank capacity?

#16 ·
Like I said - Maybe :)

If the truck weighs more for a given gvwr, then your payload is less :)

The owners manual even uses an example of buddies going golfing... and if you have 5 instead of 4 maybe you can't take your clubs (maybe I'm misquoting :)

#18 ·
Crawling under my short bed I saw plenty of space for an extension to the current fuel tank, probably the same space the aftermarket fuel tanks are using.

BTW,
Looking through the specs I found these #'s-
Maximum Payload Weight ratings
MAX GVWR for both wheel bases- 10,000#
F-250 SRW 4x4 156.2" WB = 3250
F-250 SRW 4X4 172.4" WB = 3140

Hmm, that's 110# more "carrying capacity" on paper due to lighter weight of vehicle.

I would have given up that 110# for a long bed sized fuel tank.
Certainly there could be some sort of compromise.

#19 ·
well, diesel is 7.2 lbs per gallon, not 6.

26 gal tank = 187.2 lbs of fuel
50 gal tank = 360.0 lbs of fuel

a 172.8 lb difference.

I drove my truck over the scales at a dump/recycle center and found it at 8300-8400 lbs, not sure how much fuel was in it, but nothing else except me. GVWR is 10,000.

at that weight, your load is capped (any other passengers, stuff, etc) at 1600 lbs. add another 175 lbs for additional fuel and now you only have 1400 lbs left :) I'm sure the "light" payload rating of the F250 is the reason the tank is so small.

Its 36 gal on the Raptor.

#21 ·
Insurance and D.O.T. is the answer. Anything over 10,000 GVW is now a D.O.T. target as a commercial vehicle if used in commerce. Some insurance companies charge commercial rates above 10,000 GVW.

To keep the GVW under 10k and give the 250 more weight carrying capacity it gets a small fuel tank. Since chevy and ram have large fuel tanks one has to wonder where they saved weight, frame maybe????

In 2006 the 250 and 350SRW have the same GCVWR and only a few hundred pounds less than the 350DRW. The big difference is cargo weight rating. So for people like me that tow not haul, the 250 is the way to go. I have a transfer flow below bed rail 60 gallon tank plumbed into the main tank.

Some states scale any "truck" 10,100 GVWR and higher so my !0,000 GVWR keeps me off the scales.

#22 ·
I always knew there was a reason for a 10,000# rating... Didn't seem to make sense that there were no functional/structural differences.

I have seen signs out west that say all trucks over a certain weight and trucks pulling trailers must pull off to the be weighed - and an even bigger sign that says - RV'ers that INCLUDES you TOO.

And yes, I researched fuel tank size before making my purchase. I included in my cost analysis going to a larger tank size if the stock one was too small. (IMHO, 26 Gal tank for anything that can pull a trailer is too small - unless that diesel hybrid heavy duty truck comes out and gets 30 mpg while pulling...)

#23 ·
O.K. went 40 miles past 0 miles left, went into limp mode, then got low fuel pressure warning, then quit. I actually got 26 gallons back in truck, so I know it has a 26 gallon tank. Now we'll see what the computer says, maybe will make it more accurate since it knows what empty is, will let everybody know when I fill up again.

#25 ·
Was that filling it till the pump clicked off or filling to the brim?

I ask because it use to be if one did the 'harpoon' mod you could get an additional +3.5 gallons more than rated tank capacity; (same if you fill to the brim).

Thanks,

Bob

#26 ·
Lombar, you did this in a diesel ?!?

I had a winnebago le sharo class motorhome with a deisel that ran out of fuel once and it never ran the same afterwards....

partially why I am anal about filling up :)

#27 ·
Filled til it clicked off, maybe 1 more pull of the trigger. It actually put 26.57 gallons. The trip computer seems to be more accurate. Its a new truck, still learning features. Did reset system trying to get engine light to go out. Went out in own. Maybe that helped conputer, I don't know.

#28 ·
why run it down the the last oz? just to see if its really 26 gallons? My low fuel comes on, I'll drive another 30-40 miles, then put 23.5 gallons back in, bring it full again. No worries.

In the 70s, when fuel stations weren't every 20 miles, it used to be a big deal. I can't remember a time Ive been anywhere (Mexico to Canada, California to Florida) and had a situation where fuel was a few hundred miles away. I know some may say it wastes time to stop and fill up, but Im ready to stop after 450+ miles anyway.... who can hold it that long? lol

#29 ·
I have a 2012 F250 diesel too and have never been able to put 20 gallons of fuel in it. I think the other 8 gallons went to the space needed for the DEF tank.. So fortunately in Jax, FL we have a place that installs a tool box over a 52 gallon auxiliary tank which brings my capacity to about 70 gallons with a range of about 1,300 miles which allows me to get the best prices on diesel fuel since I can go almost four primary tanks of fuel between fuelings.

#30 ·
I've upgraded to the Titan 50Gal. Terrific upgrade.
It's a little low hanging for an off-roader, but since I don't, it's pretty perfect for me.
Note to those installing it, paint the straps before assembly.

#31 ·
Do they still ship the straps inside the tank? The flakes of paint that chipped off during shipment were a real pain to remove prior to install even with sloshing fuel.

#33 ·
So enjoyed the Titan 65 gal tank in my 2015 on the 7800 mile trip i took in august...was nice to not worry about fuel every couple hundred miles or so....the straps on my tank are plated or stainless....not sure which...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.