The Diesel Stop banner

5.4 owners the good,bad

27K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  Indywoods 
#1 ·
let me know what you think of the 5.4 in the a super cab 4x4 f250 don;t pull big loads but need a 3/4 t0n

#32 ·
i have a 2010 F350 with the 5.4L with the 6spd, standard cab, long box. I have no complaints with it at all. Compared to my old 2000 5.4, Its got all the power in the world. The only thing that i have towed worth mentioning was a bobcat and two buckets on a trailer for a friend, trailer and all it was maybe 9k. Althought its no diesel it held its own up in the Black hills of South Dakota. Over all i couldnt be happier with the truck. But like i said i dont tow alot and totally agree that this engine should not me offered in a 1 ton pickup. 315 hp and 365ftlbs lol its kind of a joke considering most 1/2 tons are even in the 400hp range nowadays.

#33 ·
let me know what you think of the 5.4 in the a super cab 4x4 f250 don;t pull big loads but need a 3/4 t0n
I love mine. I am not a fan of Ford diesels. Got 53000 miles on my 2010 with not 1 problem. As you stated you do not tow heavy, so the 5.4 fits the bill perfectly. The 5.4 engine will last a long time if you take care of it, thats my 2 cents.

#35 ·
I own an 6.0 diesel, my buddy has the same truck with the 5.4 gasser. His truck wont pull what mine does but it does ok for lesser loads. The kicker for me is that he has put nothing in his truck except wear items and is at 209K miles. So far I've put a rebuilt tranny, and $5K in the engine at 150k miles. When you add the extra cost of the motor and diesel fuel, makes my truck look like a pretty crappy investment. Love the power but this thing is bleeding my dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.