The Diesel Stop banner

Diesel Kleen - Can you add too much?

37K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
At times I may run a little more than 1 16oz bottle per fill up (38gal tank )..because when I fill up at 1/2 a tank, I add more when I top off. Is this a problem?? can you add oo much?

Also since I always keep my tank full and use the silver bottle...what if I know I'm goin to the mountains where the temps can be 10-20 degrees at night...could I add a 16oz white botle of DK to prevent fuel jelling or is that too much??

Thank you in advance,
Mike

See less See more
#5 ·
You would have to add gallons per tank before you got close to adding too much. A 7.3 would probably run on the stuff - it runs on just about anything. The damage you are doing by adding more than the recommended amount is to your wallet.

#6 ·
You would have to add gallons per tank before you got close to adding too much. A 7.3 would probably run on the stuff - it runs on just about anything. The damage you are doing by adding more than the recommended amount is to your wallet.
Second the wallet comment. :no:
I know that they'll run on nearly 100% Seafoam. That's from the "fill the filter with Seafoam treatment."

#7 · (Edited)
Also since I always keep my tank full and use the silver bottle...what if I know I'm goin to the mountains where the temps can be 10-20 degrees at night...could I add a 16oz white botle of DK to prevent fuel jelling or is that too much??

Thank you in advance,
Mike
[/quote]

Living in Colorado, I have never used the white anti-gel formula and I've never had a single gelling issue. Having said that, I am pretty sure the winter diesel blend supplied here effectively prevents fuel gelling in cold temps.

#8 ·
I'm a diesel mechanic for 38 years I have found so many products out there diesel injection cleaner fuel water separator in the list goes on and on and on. I just want to say this product I tried it on my personal vehicles before I would sell it to any of my customers I will never go back to anything not even Lucas this product is the best out there that I have found my personal opinion I keep these on the shelf by the cases and all my customers are super happy with this product to so I will never switch or never go back to anyting (y).

#9 ·
It's not going to hurt to add two bottles to a 40 gallon tank it actually going to work better and you will see a little bit better fuel mileage so know that product will not affect or harm the vehicle and it does State on the bottle for best results add more than one bottle to 40 gallon.

#10 ·
BigD,
Welcome to the forum.
Good advice on the Diesel Kleen, its a favorite here.

One thing to watch for on this site is some of the posts that the search engine provides are really old.
The search does not prioritize by most recent.

I usually use that little white symbol at the top of page that has NEW inside the bubble to see the most recent.

#11 ·
Welcome, Big D. Glad you joined the site. Hoping to hear more of your excellent advice.

#13 ·
Nothing about Diesel Kleen should cause or result in smoking AFAIK.

What product did you use? The Silver or White bottle?

Have you drained your water separator recently?
Did it have any water in the drained fuel?

#15 ·
I used the diesel clean (silver bottle) 32 oz in 10 gallons for injector cleaning (Stock no mods 7.3L 2000 F250) then on a 400 mile trip applied 32 oz in 25 gallons. Engine ran a little smother but still had a mild rough idle. DTC contribution test shows P0272 #4 cylinder and P0284 #8 cylinder. Buzz injector test ok all cylinders. Replaced undervalve cover OEM injector wire harness and OEM gasket—OEM back pressure tube and sensor—OEM cam position sensor—OEM injector pressure sensor. Reset the PCM. Oil changed every 4500 miles.Valvoline blue 15w40 with Mobil 1 filter. Total mileage 232000. What is the recommended path forward?

#17 · (Edited)
What is the recommended path forward?
Diesel-Kleen is formulated as an additive to be used in small quantities to supplement fuel lubricity and slightly improve Cetane rating and help stabilize fuel. It also has mild detergents; however, it is not designed to be a product like BG, or One-Shot or the German Liqui-Moly products that are heavily concentrated.

#16 ·
I have experienced a little better mileage when using Diesel Clean, especially towing. My truck seems to like the white bottle winter formula better than the silver bottle for some reason.

#18 ·
Information is useful-

I just bought a used Rover, v6 Turbo Deisel- not sure if it has ever been treated etc., with an additive.
I've a 24-GAL Tank- Can I add the entire 26-ounce bottle of diesel Kleen or should I adhere to the amount per the diesel Kleen calculator; 24 gal = 6 ounces?

I am thinking to do this once and then do a regular treatment with each fill up.

Thank you!

#19 ·
I don't think there is an advantage to adding an entire 26-oz bottle, sometimes I will double the amount to 12-oz but I think more than that is a waste.

Better to just get some fresh fuel in the system and use 6-12 oz each fill-up.

I would drain your fuel bowl into a clear glass jar and see if you have any water in the fuel or if the diesel has microbes in it. If it has either of those issues then you need to use a different Power Service product for each one.