The Diesel Stop banner

Knocking 6.7L!

41K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  mag2dually 
#1 ·
What does this sound like to my fellow forum readers. I get on I-95 with a load of cars headed to Florida doing 67mph, the engine begins to make a tapping/knocking noise I immediately pull over and the engine and truck has a violent shake before I shut it off. I get out check oil and look for leaks, no check engine light or any warning lights and now the truck won't crank back up. Could this be engine failure? I bought this truck brand new 6 months ago and I have 68k on the dash.

#2 ·
Luckily you are still under warranty, Pain in the butt that it is a holiday weekend, You probably won't get it looked at till Monday, but it will be under warranty

#32 ·
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Just had the primary water pump replaced at 27,000 miles.

For what it's worth, I had an '06 Chevy that got a new engine after 2,700 miles. Like you I was beyond pissed but there's nothing you can do about it.

#5 ·
Is this an '11 or '12? Could you have one of the engines with the bad valves? I hope warrenty takes care of you. I can only imagine how I'd feel if that happened.
Let us know what they find and how it works out.

#8 ·
You've neither exceeded the 100,000 mile warranty or the 5 years, So the engine should be covered. So it will get fixed under warranty. But that doesn't help you on a holiday weekend. Or get your load delivered on time.

But it should give you time to make sure what ever Ford dealer it gets towed into is the best in the area for service work.

Is it a standard pickup or is a chassis cab truck? I'm wondering if it is the 400 horse version of the engine or the detuned version used on the chassis cab trucks.

#10 ·
I am wondering about it too. Sounds like the classic c&c defective valve catastrophic failure that is known by Ford. If so, there shouldnt remotely be any kind of 'fight' to get it fixed under warranty...

#11 ·
What's killing me is the fact that if its known then get the problem fixed instead of leaving paying customer stranded! I honestly don't want this truck anymore I would rather have a cummins! Seems to me that ford has failed yet again to produce a product that will last!

#12 ·
Ford probably has 1/2 million 6.7L engines on the street. There have been a few failures. You can't expect Ford to recall every truck and rebuild all the engines, because there have been a few failures. It's not like 1 in 100 or even 1 in a 1000 trucks is having this problem.

Every manufacture has certain percentage of failures. It too bad that it's your truck that failed. Lets just hope they get it fixed quickly and get you back to work.

#19 ·
Good luck with the issue.

Remember to be nice to the dealer. Not their fault the engine died and the guy that replaces it will likely loose his hind end because the manufacturers don't pay well for warranty work.

#22 ·
I bet several of us would like to know what vehicle this is. All I see is that it is a 2011, 68K miles and has a 6.7 diesel and it's locked up.

#27 ·
I'm not trying to be too snarky but there is a problem that plagues the internet forums of ALL types: no details given relevant to the issue. I guess I am a bit more sensitive to this as part of my job is to do phone support. Where you live w/o micro details, for instance: north Texas, not your street and town. Description and miles of vehicle, especially any modifications.
You know what you drive and where you live but we don't.
You may post something like, "When it is really cold out should I plug my truck in the night before?"
Someone in Miami thinks it's really cold out when it is 40F, the guy in Juneau AK thinks it's really cold when it is -40. The answers are different for those two.

Or, "My truck is hard to steer when I'm parking". The responses to this would be vastly different if you had listed the truck as being a crew cab F350 4X4 lifted on 38 inch tires and a 24000 pound Warn 30HP winch on custom 1/4' wall 5 inch pipe bumper or as F250 XLT 4X2 completely stock, no mods.

#28 ·
Hope the dealer gets it worked out so you can enjoy your truck. With a new engine, you should be good to go for a long time with that sucker. Hopefully the failure was just a fluke as well, or a result of the bad valves which have since been addressed.

Just remember, unless Ford gives you a lot of trouble or the repair work ends up shoddy, I would still keep the truck as you'll lose more on trade than you would probably spend on it if you keep it.

#29 · (Edited)
6.7 engine damage

i am a ford diesel mechanic and i have replaced 10 of these motors sense they came out. and all of them had less then 25,000 miles. only 3 of them were the ones with bad valves, but they were all cab and chassis models. the cab and chassis models have a different turbo, different style intake manifold and different set up on the exhaust and they are detuned to 300bhp and 660 lb-ft. the pick ups have 390bhp and 735 lb-ft. the exhaust has the same components, they are just in different location. im not sure whats causing it but all of the motors i have replaced have all dropped valves. the last one i did broke the piston in half and shot the rod into the block. im not sure if your still under warranty, most of the trucks only come with 30,000 or 3 year warranty. but if it is make sure they give you new injectors in the cylinders that were damaged. and deffently get a new turbo. sometimes ford tells us to re-use the turbo. but i have found the customer comes back after 500 miles complianing of turbo whine. i can say tho all the pick up models are doing great. i have replaced egr coolers on one and did one oil cooler but other than that havent had any engine problems with the pick ups. the biggest problem these trucks have are the scr system. (selective catalyst reduction) system and its mostly pump or urea injector problems. but if i were you i would keep the truck after i gets a new motor. and see if you can perchase ESP. it will help in the long run.

#46 ·
i am a ford diesel mechanic and i have replaced 10 of these motors sense they came out. and all of them had less then 25,000 miles. only 3 of them were the ones with bad valves, but they were all cab and chassis models. the cab and chassis models have a different turbo, different style intake manifold and different set up on the exhaust and they are detuned to 300bhp and 660 lb-ft. the pick ups have 390bhp and 735 lb-ft. the exhaust has the same components, they are just in different location. im not sure whats causing it but all of the motors i have replaced have all dropped valves. the last one i did broke the piston in half and shot the rod into the block. im not sure if your still under warranty, most of the trucks only come with 30,000 or 3 year warranty. but if it is make sure they give you new injectors in the cylinders that were damaged. and deffently get a new turbo. sometimes ford tells us to re-use the turbo. but i have found the customer comes back after 500 miles complianing of turbo whine. i can say tho all the pick up models are doing great. i have replaced egr coolers on one and did one oil cooler but other than that havent had any engine problems with the pick ups. the biggest problem these trucks have are the scr system. (selective catalyst reduction) system and its mostly pump or urea injector problems. but if i were you i would keep the truck after i gets a new motor. and see if you can perchase ESP. it will help in the long run.
You are a diesel tech and don't know what warranty comes with the product you are working on???? I don't want to come to your dealership.

The motor has a 5 year, 100k mile warranty on it.

#31 ·
Not to nitpick, But the Powertrain is not all included in the 100,000 mile warranty.

The engine is 5yr/100,000mile,
But the tranny and most of the rest of the truck is 36,000 miles.

#33 ·
even the perfect truck has issues.... i have an 02 with the legendary 7.3....bulletproof right?nope lost a motor at 79k,cracked piston.albeit i now have 217k problem free but still,it can happen to anyone.

#35 ·
That kind of attitude will help you through this experience immeasurably. An old friend of mine is a marine diesel mechanic, and to quote him, "If it goes round and round and up and down, yer gonna have problems with it."

If million dollar ship engines will go boom, so will anything else. Good luck with the dealer and the warantee, I do hope everything comes out ok for you in the end.

#36 ·
I find it interesting that the cab and chasis trucks with the detuned engines are having the valve problems. You would think since they aren't being pushed as much to make HP that they would have fewer problems. Seems counter intuitive.
Does anybody know if the pickups and cab and chasis trucks use the same valves?

I just bought a 2012 F550 cab and chasis so I'm very concerned about this valve issue. Are the 2012s experiencing these valve failures or is it mainly the 2011s? I waited until the end of 2012 because of fear of valve problems in the 2011s. I use my truck for my living too and I don't want to be down for repairs like mag2dually.
BTW I got the ESP when I got the truck just in case.

#40 ·
extended service plan....extended warranty i believe

#41 ·
Extended Service Plan.

Sorry about your luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.