The Diesel Stop banner

7.3L leaking oil

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  91diesel 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my 7.3 has been leaving small penny size drops of oil on the garage floor for a bit now. I just got home from a short drive and noticed it's now not little spots but kind of a mess now. It looks like it's coming down the passenger side, it's all over the starter etc. The top of the engin is very clean, no crap or grease on anything. I crawled up near the turbo and noticed back behind everything there is a bunch of crap all over everything. Would that likely be the turbo or HPOP? What's the best way to narrow it down, is it something an Amateure mechanic can handel or do I need to bring it to the shop? I've built many a gasser for toys so I'm not scared to look into it, but I don't want to get into something way over my head...

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
This should keep you busy. There is a part 2 to this video also . . .

#3 ·
Thanks - I just saw this a little down the thread and it looks like a great place to start. Time to soak it in purple power and have a couple of beers!

#4 ·
I've been digging around and found two things. The first is on the HPOP, the line closest to the front of the truck has some minor seepage, but everything looks dry like it's not leaking much. The place I'm finding oil is just below the big hose going from the air filter to the turbo. It's wet below that line... Since this is on the drivers side would it leak down the other side of the motor?

Thanks again guys!

#5 ·
When you say 'the big hose', do you mean the air inlet to the turbo, or the 1/2" hose that connects to the bottom of that?

There are 3 plugs on each of the heads, ones at the front, one in the middle and one at the back. They all have o-rings that can go bad. I replaced most of them a few months ago and it made a huge difference. The one in the middle is underneath the air inlet to the turbo . . . that could be it . . .

#6 ·
Great video.

#7 ·
No Start condition

Hey guys, the other night I cleaned the crap out of everything to find the leak... I fired the truck up and backed her into the garage and things were OK.

I got lazy and did not need to go anywhere during the holidays and left the truck in the garage.

Today I went to fire up and it kicked off OK but within seconds the idle got rougher and rougher. I killed it and refired a few times with the same results. Then it quit firing.

I checked the fuel bowl and it has fuel, I swapped the CPS with a known one for good measure. I checked the relays with no problems... Any thoughts on what to check before sending her to the mechanic? I've got the stuff to check fuel pressure on a gasser if it works...

I did spray a little WD40 (probably should not) into the intake and it ran at a low RPM for a few seconds. To me it sounds like a fuel problem now, but why would a clean down cause this?

Thanks for any more info guys!

#10 ·
I'll check, I used pool acid (kidding - simple green).

Dennis

#9 ·
The presence of fuel in the fuel bowl doesn't mean it is at the right pressure . . . definitely worth checking if you have the gauge. A 100psi gauge will do it.

#11 ·
I'll see what we have here, most are for carb boats / rods...

#12 ·
It's alive

Looks like in my quest to fix a $300 leak I caused $450 damage :eek:rder: I hosed the ICP sensor when I was cleaning the engine to find the leak... Thanks to the Truck Shop in Temecula for cleaning up after me :).

#13 ·
Don't feel too bad about the ICP sensor. The stock part had a high failure rate with many of them developing a leaky internal diaphragm. You might have needed a new one, anyway. Your new replacement part is more reliable than the stock part.

#14 ·
Thanks Victor - I'll tell the wife :).

Quick question, would something like an AutoEnginuity have helped to figure out the problem? I'm pretty handy, but when it won't start and I'm staring at a bunch of sensors and what not it's a bit hard to toubleshoot... Also, if anyone knows if I buy the software do I need the ford add on package for the 7.3/6.0 diesels (I have both).

Thanks again everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.