The Diesel Stop banner

Hub O-Rings

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  asd 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know I have a vacume leak in the front end caused by me removing the hubs and reinstalling with the original O-Rings. Apparently ford does not sell a replacement kit for these guys. Anyone know the size or of a kit to replace them?

#3 ·
You may want to check your vacuum lines and the pulse vacuum solenoid before you go to the trouble of replacing the hub orings. Unless you know for a fact that you damaged them during the re-install, the lines or the solenoid could be your issue. I've never ordered from dieselorings.com but I saw the prongs there.

#4 ·
So I went to my local Ford Dealer for the same 2 o-rings. He goes to the back and brings out an entire hub assembly. He tells me that you cannot buy the o-rings separately. I told him that I have the hubs off the truck and as long as I was at it I should get new o-rings. He says that there is absolutely nothing serviceable inside of the hubs so you must replace everything. I told him that they were already disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled so could I just buy the o-rings and you could order new ones and replace them from the hub assembly. He says Ford doesn't sell the o-rings separately so the only thing i could do is purchase new hubs at $368 per side if I wanted those o-rings. I asked him if that is what they do when a customers hubs are inop. He said they automatically replace everything all the time, nothing servicable. Wow, what a profit center for the stealership; $726.00 for $5.25 of o-rings. Anyway I got them from DieselOrings. $5.25 plus shipping. And do you remember how Ford doesn't sell them separately? Dieselorings sends them to you in a Ford labeled plastic bag. So if OEM is important to you this is your answer. Jees!

#7 ·
Don't expect a dealer parts guy to be helpful enough to actually look up something for you. He MIGHT have been able to find the o-rings if you'd given him the part # that 444-4D posted. It's a game with some of them - they tell you that you can't buy separate components to try to sell you the whole assembly. They really wanted $386 per side for locking hubs?? They list for $315 each. :icon_rolleyes:

#8 ·
Me too

They quoted me about $35 each. I ordered them online for a few bucks. Dealers s u c k

#9 ·
I had a similar experience with terrible parts guys at dealers.

Me: "I need an IPR for a 7.3L"
Parts guy: *types* "Umm.. Hmm. Do you mean a FICM?"
Me: "No. There is no FICM on a 7.3 it has an IDM, but thats not what I need, I need an IPR."
Parts guy: "Well all we have is the FICM for the 7.3L.

:icon_rolleyes:

Bought an IPR from a different parts guy the next day at the same dealer

#11 ·
This thread is a perfect example of why you MUST research part numbers before you go to the dealership. You could argue IPR vs. FICM all day long, but if you give them a part number, there is no room for discussion there.

I've ordered specific part numbers at dealers and have them ask me--"where did you even find this part number?".

#12 ·
I've ordered specific part numbers at dealers and have them ask me--"where did you even find this part number?".
So did you tell them "From TheDieselStop"?

Even Ford's own parts site isn't infallable. If you order a Rear Main Seal from thier site for a 7.3L, you'll get one that will drop thru the center of the one on your truck. When I tried to tell them it was wrong, they didn't even care.

#13 ·
Yes I told them--

Ive had to find parts numbers more than once when the guys behind the counter couldnt---each time Ive told them about Dieselstop and how they should use this place instead of their own system lol

#14 ·
Sweet, I just hit up the old googlerator and came up with 2004 F250 ESOF Hub Service . I'm gonna do the full service.

I always appreciate everybody's help!

Dennis

#15 ·
Good for you---

Sweet, I just hit up the old googlerator and came up with 2004 F250 ESOF Hub Service . I'm gonna do the full service.

I always appreciate everybody's help!

Dennis
Dude, Ive never touched one of these things but read that site or one similar and prayed then just did it. EASY. It was easy. I replaced the ball joints too and that was easy. One thing I did wrong though was over grease the interior of the hubs. Nothing bad has happened so far but from reading how much should be in there, I probably over did it by 5 times. Anyway, its a walk in the park. Just do what they say and place the rings etc in a pile exactly as they came out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.