The Diesel Stop banner

4R100 Shift improvment

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SmokeyWren 
#1 ·
My truck has 190k on it and the trans is sloppy as... well you know. After adding a chip it just magnified how sloppy it really is. What accumulator kit(s) can I get to firm everything up. I get a slip-bump on takeoff if I get in it a little and then I feel like I run out of power before it sponges into 2nd. With no chip the trans feels "normal". I want solid, smooth power from stopped to stomped. No pauses along the way. Any advice will help. Thanks, David

#3 ·
Yeah, if that's the original stock tranny, then it's probably simply worn out. Very few 4R100 trannies lived past 150k miles.

#5 ·
i have 180k on my 4r100 and its still running strong. stroke of luck?

#7 ·
What kind of tuning? The transmissions go much faster with aftermarket tuning.

#8 ·
Mild tuning up to about an additional 80 HP won't reduce the longevity of a 4R100 tranny, provided you drive by the gauges and NEVER allow more than 225° tranny temp, and you keep fresh ATF in the tranny. I usually ran a 60-tow tune, but sometimes 80-economy. My stock tranny and torque converter lasted 112,000 miles before the torque converter began showing signs of fatigue. When BTS tore it down, Brian said the torque converter was shot, but the tranny would probably have lasted another 100,000 miles before needing an overhaul.

So an aftermarket tune is not the culprit if they were written by one of the good tuners such as Jody Tipton, Bill Cohron, or Tony Wildman. Tunes over 100 HP, inadequate maintenance, and high temps are the killers of most 4R100 trannies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.