The Diesel Stop banner

Tunners

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  smotrs 
#1 ·
So the other day I heard that tunners will be gone any day thanks to EPA. A friend is trying to get me to by an H&S for my 6.4 before they are gone. My question is is this the best one for me to get? My 6.4 is in an F450 with a 12 foot box on it and always tows a 30 ft trailer so it usually weighs between 20,000 and 24,000 lbs. I am not looking for performance more for reliability and fuel economy. I am going to go buy this thing if it seems to be the best thing for this truck. I am also going to pick up an SCT for my 6.0 before i can't get them anymore. I have to go buy this thing like tomorrow with cash so I would really appreciate some input.

#2 ·
I have heard great things about the H&S in the 6.4s. My buddy has one with a DPF delete and he get's around 26mpg. I personally run the handheld SCT in my 6.4. I also see the same mpg with a DPF and EGR delete. I wouldn't be afraid to run either of them, I just went with the SCT cause I didn't have 900$ at the time. As far as the 6.0, the SCT is the thing to get. The engine and tranny tunes are just right. Both my trucks laugh at 40,000 lb 35 foot trailers and sip the diesel like a Volkswagon TDI. Good luck!

#3 ·
Just stay away from Edge chips/tuners. They have a very bad rep for screwing up trannys.

#4 ·
I highly doubt that tuners are going away anytime soon

#11 ·
Tuners in general, no. Tuners that modify or allow the user to modify the emissions, yes.

#5 ·
TIM K I highly doubt that tuners are going away anytime soon

Go to H&S web page and read the press release if you don't think they are going away. You cannot order anymore H&S turners right now. The only place you can get them is companies that have left over stock. I think the same thing is happening to SCT.

#8 ·
TIM K I highly doubt that tuners are going away anytime soon

Go to H&S web page and read the press release if you don't think they are going away. You cannot order anymore H&S turners right now. The only place you can get them is companies that have left over stock. I think the same thing is happening to SCT.
Really glad I ordered one when I did. When I first heard about and then read the EPA clampdown, I ordered the H&S min maxx that day and just installed it last weekend. So far so good. The DPF and EGR will stay there for now, but I can see them evaporating from my truck as soon as the warranty is gone. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
26 mpg, must have found the right tune ;-)

#10 ·
I wouldn't average 20 mpg downhill in neutral. Average 14ish but still love the truck. Too much power! Almost...

#17 ·
Your truck being a DRW I would imagine would have higher gears. Mine got 12-14 bone stock before I did anything.

#15 ·
I got my SCT for the 6.0 and an H & S for the 6.4 the other day. Also picked up a Colt .45 Defender to complete my anti hippie Christmas. I am so disgusted by all of this ****. I'm hoping to delete my DPF and EGR despite my warranty before I start another 25,000 mile year at 6.8 MPG. Pretty sure the saved fuel is better for the environment anyway.

#19 ·
Alot of people are using the spartan and say great things about it. H&S is the other tuner that alot of people use as well. They both make great products.

#21 ·
Biggest difference is the H&S allows shift on the fly tuning. Otherwise, personal preference.

However, going forward, H&S will no longer be selling offroad tuning. You will only be ably to obtain street tuners only. Once the dealers sell of existing stock of the off-road versions, they are gone.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.