The Diesel Stop banner

Exhaust gaskets

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bobsherrie 
#1 ·
I'm in the middle of replacing my head gaskets, and noticed there were no exhaust gaskets between the head and the exhaust manifold.

So as I have really only wrenched gas engines is it ok to install the exhaust manifold to the head without a gasket.

I did find an exhaust gasket from IPR, would this be something that will help with sealing the flanges. Is it necessary to install a gasket on an engine that has 125,000 miles?

IPR Valve Cover & Rocker Box Gasket Set 2003-2007 Ford 6.0 F250 F350 F450 F550 Powerstroke

Thanks for any help,

Tom

#2 ·
Mine was like that too...no gaskets. I did notice a couple of ports did leak a little as there was soot under the manifold. I assumed if there was a leak at the manifold, the turbo is less effective. So I bought a set of gaskets, and I only wanted to that job once.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies, looks like I better order some gaskets.

#5 ·
I have never put exhaust gaskets on these motors, though I don't see where it would hurt to have them. I always just polish them up and bolt them back on. Never had an issue with leaks or smells in the cab from doing this.

#6 ·
I have had the opposite experience with both my former 7.3l and present 6.0l. Both had exhaust leaks at the manifolds and Ford installed gaskets in both cases. In fact, the 7.3l leaked bad enough that it could be heard in the cab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.