The Diesel Stop banner

4th Set of injectors

7K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  ForceFD 
#1 ·
I need recomendations for replacement injectors that are durable and reliable. Performance injectors are ok, but need something that is gonna last towing, etc.

2004 6.0

Been using Allied Performance injectors for the last 2 replacements, however the warranty is expired.

I have every fix for the 6.0 already invested, inlcuding turbo, FASS system, etc, etc.

Thx
JOE

#3 ·
From what i have read on here, most people seem to only trust the Ford original remans for reliabilty

#4 ·
originally went with Allied because alot of folks around the US talked about them as being the better stock replacement over the Fords.

#5 ·
but if some performance injectors out there have proven to hold up to the mileage demands as well as towing/performance, then i would be intersted in those as well.

#7 ·
Warren injectors are modded from used injectors. Sure he stands by them but then do you want the hassle of waiting for another "used" injector from him??

Casserly injectors are modded from Ford OEM boxed injectors bought from Ford.

Want performance?? Casserly
Want durable and reliability?? Ford OEM

BTW I have 233k on my original injectors. I doubt I'll use anything else in the future.

#8 ·
Casserly Injectors: what are the specs for modification? What performance gain?
website?

#10 ·
roger

#11 ·
qOUTE--"If you are eating injectors you have an issue somewhere you need to figure out. Low fuel pressure is the #1 killer of injectors. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? What is your fuel pressure. A weak FICM will also kill injectors. What is your FICM voltage? Are you runnning a 5w40 synthetic motor oil?"

reply: Myself and anyone I have seen for assistance has yet to get any low voltage codes thrown by the FICM. I do not have a fuel pressure gauage, however I think I need to get one.

What the guys at Innovative Diesel seem to think that stacking the 6-gun and the bank econo-tuner caused the failure because the truck ran great for a year after the last couple injectors went out. I will ask the mechanic working on my stuff back home (im in Afghanistan) to double check the voltage. I have a guage pod for boost, egt, and transmission temps, any other good places to mount fuel pressure pod?

I like Innovatives 155cc injectors and SCT custom tune recomendation thus far.

#12 ·
Lincoln Diesel Service sells set of 8 Motorcraft new spool valve, new open/close coils injectors for $1549. These work and last. These injectors use the spool valve stops with the ground relief notch that is the mod to address cold "stiction".

#13 ·
I have never heard that there is a code that the computer registers for low FMP voltage. I've certainly heard of people with FMP voltage down in the 30's and no code. Fuel pressure is definitely the main killer of injectors, as far as I am concerned. It needs to be tested with a Ford bypass pressure tester that simulates full power fuel flow.

Brian

#14 ·
I have never heard that there is a code that the computer registers for low FMP voltage. I've certainly heard of people with FMP voltage down in the 30's and no code. Fuel pressure is definitely the main killer of injectors, as far as I am concerned. It needs to be tested with a Ford bypass pressure tester that simulates full power fuel flow.

Brian
The Dec 2009 Ford flash will throw a P0611 code for low FICM_M. This is a "soft code" and wont through the wrench light. This flash also throws a code and the wrench light for EOT to ECT deltas.

Here are the details:

TSB 09-24-3 6.0L DIESEL CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES

Publication Date: November 20, 2009

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2010 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 9-7-11 to update the model years covered and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) calibration level.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, 2003-2005 Excursions and 2004-2010 E-Series vehicles, equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit hard start, no start, white smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up, or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0404, P0470, P0611, P1260 and/or P1378 issues. Refer to the Calibration Content for information detailing specific vehicle content by vehicle application and model year that is being addressed by this calibration update.

This article includes previously released calibration content that improves injector performance in cold engine operation and additional diagnostic capabilities and product [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]protection strategy[/COLOR][/COLOR] enhancements. These enhancements provide additional diagnostic capabilities, adds additional new DTCs and engine protection strategies. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details. See the appropriate Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic (PC/ED) manual for technical descriptions and diagnostic routines associated with new DTCs.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using IDS release 63.13 and higher or 64.01 and higher. The [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]transmission control[/COLOR][/COLOR] module (TCM) and fuel injector control module (FICM) , will automatically update if they are not at the latest calibration level. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at MOTORCRAFT PARTS FOR FORD, LINCOLN OR MERCURY VEHICLES.

CALIBRATION CONTENT

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 418-01.

The PCM and FICM calibration update contains improvement actions to address the following symptoms:

2005 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]engine oil[/COLOR][/COLOR] temperature (EOT) conditions or high engine coolant temperature (ECT) are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]wrench[/COLOR][/COLOR] warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2006-2007 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2005-2007 And 2009-2010 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 EGR Performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
2008 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
False P1260 induced during cranking due to low battery voltage.
Generic on-board diagnostics (OBD) improvements including; Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 4 and J1699 OBD data test results as reported to the service tool.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
Previous released calibration content included in IDS software release 48.2 or higher for: 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2008 E-Series 6.0L diesel equipped vehicles:

White smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up due to injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation.
No start/hard start when accompanied with DTC P0611 (FICM Performance), P1378 (FICM System Voltage Low) and/or all eight (8) injector circuit codes.
The new calibration changes the frequency of injector spool valve shuttling under certain conditions and will sound differently from previously released versions.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092403A 2004-2010 Econoline, 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Check For DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

#15 ·
Have you done the Blue Spring fuel pressure regulator upgrade? If not, do it. It is a cheap $30+ fix for the fuel pressure problem.

#16 ·
So the batteries finally gave up. Got some new batteries. We re-soldereed the FICM ends and I am ordering new injectors from Innovative Diesel as well as the custom tune SCT tuner. Hopefully this is the end of the problems.

FORD06; I like the fuel regulator upgrade . I will have to check into that.

#21 ·
So the batteries finally gave up. Got some new batteries. We re-soldereed the FICM ends and I am ordering new injectors from Innovative Diesel as well as the custom tune SCT tuner. Hopefully this is the end of the problems. FORD06; I like the fuel regulator upgrade . I will have to check into that.
Having alot of the same issues as you although not on the 4th set of injectors, just replacing my first as I write this... Do the Blue Spring mod to get your fuel pressure up, change the frickin' fuel filters every oil change or every other (manual says every 15k miles), get a fuel pressure gauge like 99-07 Super Duty Diesel Fuel Pressure Gauges and KNOW your fuel pressure, look into a 58 Volt FICM upgrade, and pray like hell your luck changes... And with the 4th set of injectors going into this motor, think about when you are going to cut your losses and dump it... Seems you are chasing your tail here...

#17 ·
Maybe I am just in a bad mood, but what I am hearing is that you basically ignored all the advice you got, didn't do the blue spring upgrade, ran the batteries to death, haven't got a way to monitor the FICM, and are putting aftermarket injectors and a new tune in instead of putting the far more reliable Ford injectors in. Good luck with that. FWIW you have a 2004 truck that doesn't have a wrench light so that whole piece on a flash that will monitor the FICM is useless.

#18 ·
Yes Mr Smart-Ass, thank you for your feedback.

Im in Afghanistan trouble shoot codes over time & long distance; working with a couple people trying to help me while I am away, and no I dont go home every night to try stuff out nor post all the little tid bits and updates because I dont have access to the net all that much.

so thank you for your .02cents and move the F**k-On. Your opinions nor bad moods are not required.

#19 ·
Do the "blue spring." :yesnod:

#20 ·
I would buy injectors from cass as stated already by the diesel guru caryt. They are brand new ford injectors built to spec. But to each his own, Caryt says it once and one time only. Or go down the road and try full force next time.

#22 ·
FFD..yeah, tough situation your in for sure. Maybe just bad (luck) run on f.i.? But, as mentioned need to 1st figure out how you can get fuel press. checked on yours before proceeding. Min. 45# psi at idle & also "underload". Maybe it ok, but what if it isn't? Good luck!

#23 ·
mechanic said fuel pressure was in range during testing, but agree a "blue spring" mod and gauge is in order. Yes bad luck in deed. The batteries have been struggling for a the last 2yrs that I know for sure, so hoping that the FICM problem is over, but might look into the 58 volt one.

#24 ·
Have not done the blue spring upgrade. Thus far, batteries were replaced (still had factory batteries in it), then FICM was checked, then the 09 Re-Flash was done, and the injectors were replaced. Going to ask the mechanic about the Blue Spring tonight. Hopefully this will solve the issues

#25 ·
It's too bad you have to be like this , you have problems with aftermarket injectors twice but don't take the advice from these guys your asking like original oem, ( my personal preference ) then you go off on the guy , I would ask for much more help

#26 ·
How does your truck behave with the new flash? My ecm is stock since 03 and my ficm has the 04 flash on it. I hear some people complaining of a de tuned feeling with the new flash accompanied with lower mpg. I guess it's a trade off for better diagnostics.

#27 · (Edited)
ttmech: no value added to the discussion, thanks: please go watch a soap opera if your in need of drama

ryhed: the NAPA mechanic back home outlines that there is still a little turbo lag, but it is expetced because he didnt apply the SCT tune yet, which SCT explained that there is a noticable lag without a tune to help adjust for the changes. However, when I was running, my last 2 sets of OEM replacement "Allied Performance Injectors" 2 years ago, I saw the same lag response without some kind of tune. Howver he did outline that all my toruble codes went away and when the turbo caught up to the gas , he went from 30 to 80 mph in a blink of an eye and also got pulled over by the local law enforcement officer. Luckily it was a buddy he went to highschool with. Love it that my truck is now a marked rig around GA...ha-ha

I do appreceiite everyone's input while I am depoyed to Afghanistan, but if you wanna be on some "Drama Queen rant" dont bother. I have actual real time drama were I am right now and I dont need yours because you dont have a life!

#28 ·
Your the one causing the drama , I'm sure everyone appreciates your service to our country but don't wine about being gone, you weren't drafted , be respectful here as you wish to be treated , enough said , thanks again for serving

#29 ·
TTMECH: No value added once again from your input; and for the record, no one is whining. Maybe if you actually had served you would know the difference! I have no need for thanks from retards like you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.