The Diesel Stop banner

DT466

58K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Markinter 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some input and advice as I am new to this type of vehicle. I'm purchasing a 99 international 4700 with a dt466, 210 hp with a fuller 6spd, and 34,000GVW (yes heavy specs for a 4700) it has 115k miles and is a penske box truck that i'm having a dump body installed.

I've heard many good things about the 466 and this is mainly how I made my choice. I will mainly be hauling construction debris with the occasional lod of stone, dirt, asphalt and towing a full size backhoe occasionaly, will the 210 hp be enough? and are there any good international web sites that can help me with service and repairs.

thanks
fred

#2 ·
My buddy has a 200 HP DT444 in his box van. He pulls a D-5 sized dozer with it, and it seems to do fine. It slows down on hills. The torque on it is 600 ft lbs. That is the one you need to be worried about. HP does very little for big, heavy, long pulls. Torque is your friend in that case, so see if it has good torque. I'd buy it as long as the truck looks okay...

#3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for some input and advice as I am new to this type of vehicle. I'm purchasing a 99 international 4700 with a DT466, 210 hp with a fuller 6spd, and 34,000GVW (yes heavy specs for a 4700) it has 115k miles and is a penske box truck that I'm having a dump body installed.

I've heard many good things about the 466 and this is mainly how I made my choice. I will mainly be hauling construction debris with the occasional load of stone, dirt, asphalt and towing a full size backhoe occasionally, will the 210 hp be enough? and are there any good international web sites that can help me with service and repairs.

thanks
Fred

[/ QUOTE ]

Check my signature? If you don't want it PM me I'll buy it. And don't shorten the wheel base yet till you sell it to me!!!

#4 ·
I'm guessing you have the DT 466E (99) and you should be fine as far as torque goes for what you need the truck for. There are lots of ways to add power to the DT and most medium sized cities have a IH dealer/service center. You'll find lots of good advice here.

Mark

#6 ·
#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
"I'm looking for some input and advice as I am new to this type of vehicle. I'm purchasing a 99 international 4700 with a dt466, 210 hp with a fuller 6spd, and 34,000GVW (yes heavy specs for a 4700) it has 115k miles and is a penske box truck that i'm having a dump body installed."

[/ QUOTE ]

Those aren't necessarily "heavy specs". You can get a 4700 @ 35,000 GVW and you can get a 4900 lo-pro @25,999 if you want. The numerical value of the model (4700,4800,4900) doesn't necessarily determine the GVWR.

[ QUOTE ]
"I've heard many good things about the 466 and this is mainly how I made my choice. I will mainly be hauling construction debris with the occasional lod of stone, dirt, asphalt and towing a full size backhoe occasionaly, will the 210 hp be enough? and are there any good international web sites that can help me with service and repairs.
thanks
fred "

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the same thing I do. Yes, it's plenty of power. I did the same thing with a 180HP Ford 6.6L diesel for years. The 210HP DT466 was set-up to do exactly what you're intending to do, right from the factory.

It's a wonderful engine that was built to be run hard all day long and do it for 1/2 million miles with little cost to its' owner.

Get in touch with your local IH dealership. My local IH dealer has parts & service from 5AM till 11PM and saturdays 7AM to 5PM with 24hr emergency service. Parts are delivered to my shop free of charge.

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for some input and advice as I am new to this type of vehicle. I'm purchasing a 99 international 4700 with a dt466, 210 hp with a fuller 6spd, and 34,000GVW (yes heavy specs for a 4700) it has 115k miles and is a penske box truck that i'm having a dump body installed.

I've heard many good things about the 466 and this is mainly how I made my choice. I will mainly be hauling construction debris with the occasional lod of stone, dirt, asphalt and towing a full size backhoe occasionaly, will the 210 hp be enough? and are there any good international web sites that can help me with service and repairs.

thanks
fred

[/ QUOTE ] sounds like a good truck to rig up. little advise in case you dont know already.if the truck is not a double frame model,be sure the dump bed you install,or have installed,has its own sub frame. this will prevent any frame damage to the truck under heavy service conditions,or dumping loads during unlevel situations.

#9 ·
the vehicle has a double frame and the body manufacturer (OX body) has a sub-frame, so I'm in good shape there.

I believe this is a non electronic 466 (1999) I also saw a 2002 with a non electronic 466. I thought all 466's after "99" were electronic??

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
You will like that little 466, great engines.

The downfall as I see it is that 6 speed.

a 10 speed Road Ranger is the only way to go,

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I have a '96 4900 with a 6 speed. It takes a lot of getting used to. I grew up on a 5 speed with a two speed rear end in a Medium and this is different. Even though I've had the truck a 1000 miles up and down I-5, I'm still not sure about the 6 speed.

My real unhappness about the 6 speed is a fairly high speed reverse.
Sometimes you want to back up slowly, and it doesn't, but in terms
of at truck that has years of life in it--you've got it.

It's a lease return that I have, only it has 345,000 miles on it, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I don't use the truck all that much and I'll get tired of looking at it before I wear it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.