The Diesel Stop banner

Batteries--mount under or in bed--advantages?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ozhoo 
#1 ·
Spoke to a guy who built waterproof boxes under his bed and mounted batteries there to take weight off the front. Thinks thats worth the effort?

#2 ·
I don't think they will be any easier to service and the extra distance can result in "line loss" delivering less available voltage for perfroming electrical tasks.

Two batteries may be about 100 pounds??? Depends on what you're after, I guess....

#4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Spoke to a guy who built waterproof boxes under his bed and mounted batteries there to take weight off the front. Thinks thats worth the effort?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW one on the Van is already mounted on the passenger side frame rail about in the middle on the 7.3L engines and both batteries are mounted there on the 6.0L Vans so it's possible and feasible. I just dropped my frame rail battery and while not hard it's definitely not a one person job w/o a floor jack. The frame rail box is sort of slick and fairly well put together, metal box, hold downs and plastic top with vent holes and room for the cables to come out. It even have aux safety cables a a secondary backup so you can't loose that thing while driving ... something Ford forget to include for our spares /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

My metal box after almost 4 yrs was in fairly good shape with just a couple of minor rust spots, but I don't drive a lot in the winter on salted snowy roads so my Van doesn't really see harsh environments.

Larry, keeper of the <font color="red"> New revised </font><font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HEREhttp://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubb...73329&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#5 ·
The article from which I got this said it made the ride better on the front end. Evens out the weight some. ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.