The Diesel Stop banner

LockPick

8K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  No Lag 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,

I have a 2011 F350 King Ranch and wondering anyone has any experience with a lockpick it is an aftermarket module that plugs into wiring harness ahead of your radio it unlocks all the features for the sync system. I have a 5th wheel with a back up camera and want tie into my sync system as a second camera.

#2 ·
It would do what you want. I would see if i could find a used one. I am not sure it is worth the cost new.

#3 ·
I have been using them for years. I enjoy the NAV features being totally unlocked while driving with the press of a button. I believe your radio will play a DVD as well. The newer models do not play DVD's. The LockPick will unlock that feature as well allowing a DVD to be played while driving. I did this a lot in my 2011. I was not the one watching it..my wife did as we towed the 5th wheel around.

#4 ·
Is the install pretty straight forward? I am mech savy, but not really sure about peeling the dash back to get to everything. Thinking if I should having a sound/ alarm shop install it? What I mainly want this for is for my 5th wheel camera so can do away with a separate monitor on the dash.

#5 ·
When I installed a lockpick on my 2011, i routed the cable down to the glove box area to i could get to the wires for the camera and other inputs. Get the right lockpick for your radio.

#6 ·
It takes about 15-20 minutes tops taking your time. It is very easy to take the dash apart. The wiring is very straight forward.

#7 · (Edited)
Gentleman,

Thanks for the information. I feel a little better now about doing the install myself. One more question on Coastal electronics website they mention if you have a sync system that is hard drive based they have a solution? How do you know if I have a HD based system? My sync system the button and screen looks just like the one on their website. I have DVD player and the complete, NAV system. Anyone have anything to say about Coastal electronics tech support helpful if you have a question?

#8 ·
I also have 2011 and love my lock pick! There tech support was outstanding when I had an issue with the first one I received. Called them, had a new one in less than a week and a pre-paid return envelope for the defective one.

Yes, you have the hard drive based sync.

#9 ·
The brick radio like you have in your truck is the unit with the hard drive and DVD. This radio was used in 2011-2012.

The Sony radio does not have the hard driver nor a DVD used in 2013 and up. There maybe have been some over lap on early 2013 models.

Their tech support is ok. I wasn't overly impressed with it when I contacted them about the wireless lockpick a year ago.

#10 · (Edited)
If you've stumbled on any of my posts, you'll see that nothing ever works for me like it does everyone else. When I installed my unit, I couldn't get it to work. The factory tech worked with me on the phone on 3 separate occasions, and I had to download firmware twice through my pc. Now, it works fine, but it took a few days.

#12 ·
I see no reason it should void your warranty. It does not affect the function of the radio or NAV or camera. It just redirects or block signals it receives from the truck or external source such as a camera.

#13 ·
Actually, unless it was a radio warranty item, the LockPick should not affect any claim. They would never know you have it unless you put a sign on the dash...or talk about it.

#15 ·
No, It does not do anything like a programmer. I have used them with the brick radio and with the sony radio. After removal, there was no sign of it ever being used.

#18 ·
I have one in a 2016..same radio as the 2015. The ability to play DVDs with the factory radio went away in 2011 I believe. It will not play a DVD. You can play one on portable player and pipe it into the old school VGA cables in the dash cubby…but it does not look very good on the screen. The lock pick will let you use all features of the system while in motion.

#19 ·
2012 was the last year of the "brick" radio and DVD's. 2013 and newer only play cd's.

#20 ·
Cobrajet - What options does the Lock Pick unlock for you? We just picked up a 2015 F-350 yesterday and haven't really had time to go through everything yet so was just curious as to what doors it will open up. Thanks for the info

#21 ·
There are many GPS options that do not work when a vehicle is moving. The lock pick allows those to be used when the vehicle is moving.

#22 ·
Many of the options not available via buttons on the radio are available via voice commands. I have found for one person and no passenger and not needing additional cameras, the LockPick is not needed.I found it to be an expense I could not justify and sold them not long after I purchased them while I could still get most of my money back. I have had all 3 versions. I had one on the 2011 F350 with the brick radio, the 2013-2016 version and the WIFI version for the 2013-2016.

The 2011 version was the most useful since the "brick" radio had a DVD player in it. A passenger could have watched a DVD. The 2013 and newer radios are CD only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.