The Diesel Stop banner

6.0 life expectency?

32K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  jwillett 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 F350 with a 6.0 diesel.It has 94,000 miles and purrs like a kitten. It pulls a 6x20 landscape trailer and an 8x20 enclosed trailer year round. It is well maintained. How many miles can I expect to get?

PS (I have a 1995 Dodge 4x4 5.2L gas with 275,000 miles) <font color="green">

#3 ·
Delbay, I believe teh 2003 were rated by Ford to have a 200K average life before major rebuild. (My memory is shakey on those numbers) I do know that the 05's have been up'd to 250K miles. However, we all know that those numbers are contingent on numerous things so don't take them to heart. 5.9 Cummins is rated for 350K miles before rebuilt off factory floor. I've seen many that never made that, and many that made it like it was nothing. Its all about maintenance. Likewise, I've personally riden in a 7.3L with over 250K miles on it (it was a F350 wrecker pulling my broken down 98 Dodge (go head poke fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)) Asked the guy about it, and he says that he hasn't done anything to it other than routine maintenance. That was a big eye opener for me and was a big influence in me getting a diesel.

#6 ·
I certainly expect more then 200k or 250k. I don't know what the 7.3 is rated for, but on my 99.5 I have 400k and it runs better then the day I bought it.

Granted I replaced the alternator and water pump, but the motor is very strong along with a few other minor things. 265k on the original transmission - would have gone longer if I didn't loan it to my dad; funny how I get it back from him and the tranny is shot. Still has original starter.

Maybe I just have high expectations, but I certainly would like to see this motor without a rebuild before I pay the note off.

Don't get me wrong I love the motor, I love the power I love the sound of the deeper grunt. For now I expect to at least match my 99, after all newer is better?

-Randy

#7 ·
I'm in complete agreement with you Randy. These new PSD's should get in excess of 300k or 400k if maintained well.

I have a close friend that hauls campers and 5th wheels interstate for a living. He has a 96 PSD and at the beginning of this year he turned 600k on his 7.3L. That was what inspired me to buy the new Ford to begin with. If mine doesn't last, especially with the way I'm anal about maintenance, I will be more than dissapointed.

#9 ·
Yup, maintanence is everything. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and my tranny fluid and fuel filters every 15,000. I've got 4 1/2 years to pay off my truck, I want it to at least last that long.

#10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I got 200000 out of my 300cu in six gasser, I better get alot more out of this 6.0. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BE

[/ QUOTE ]

Aint that the TRUTH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

TasMan

#11 ·
These trucks are dropping like flies at under 36k, I wouldn't expect long life out of them without lots of money to keep them running.

#12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
These trucks are dropping like flies at under 36k, I wouldn't expect long life out of them without lots of money to keep them running.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I don't get 250,000 to 350,000 miles, I will be disappointed. That is the main reason I spent the extra money for a diesel engine. The heads will get figured out in time, IMO. The weak point will be the electronics, again MO.

Good Luck to all

TasMan

#13 ·
I've got an '04 with over 30k and I plan on putting over 200k before I trade it in.

#14 ·
There are several life expectancy ratings, B10, B30, B50. If a manufacturer wants a high number they quote the B50, lower milage will result if they go with B10.
Don't quote me on the exact wording but the BXX refers to life expectancy with recommended maintenace that XX% will need a major repair. Major repair being cylinder head, rings, bearings, etc. i.e., repair requiring substantial disassembly.
Cummins 5.9 and the IH 6.0 both have the same rating when compared B number to B number if you dig around the respective engine makers' websites. Those numbers would reflect the commercial versions of those engines which are not exactly identical to the Ford and Dodge versions. Pickup versions are turned up to higher HP and Torque but will likely see much less high load use as compared to the same engine used in a MD truck running the detuned versions of the engines. So the higher output likely won't negatively impact lifespan compared to the commercial versions' ratings.

#15 ·
I got a silly little question. People have been posting 6L oil analysis results showing 3 to 5% fuel in the oil at what appear to be normal or short change intervals. Is this an anomoly to those engines or is everyone's engine getting fuel in the oil ? If so, how do you expect your engine to last 250,000 miles ?

A month or so ago a guy posted his engine was shot due to cam lobe failue supposedly due to long oil change intervals. I never gave it any thought at the time, but if fuel is building up in the oil, long change intervals will be the death of these engines. High wear items such as cams will simply wear out from lubrication problems.

For comparison, fuel dilution on other engines is 0.5%.

One more thing. Removing heads, say for the sake of replacing head gaskets, constitutes a major operation on the engine. Me thinks the B10/B50 number IH quoted on the 6L was before they were actually shipping them, probably based on predictions. Me thinks the actual B10/B50 lifespans might be less than what they predicted.

Just a thought.

#16 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on how it was treated during its life. My '04 has 54k miles, purrs like a kitten, and flies down the highway everyday. I'd
expect 200k very, very easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I was just stating that Ford uped the 05 service life to 250k. Per their site.

I expect mine to go 300 to 350k before that. If it does not I will cry and fix it. But I have high hopes. Gassers can go to 200k pretty easily. This should make 300k the same.

Peace and Blessings.

#18 ·
Please note, this thread just got shorter. Please keep the personal attacks to a minimum. When a post is removed for personal attacks, anyone that posted as a response to that post, goes with it due to the way the software works here.
Some of the replies were well thought out posts but, again, it's an unfortunate that they get stuck to the offending posts.

#21 ·
Mark
They most likely lowered the torque so that the 5sp auto would not turn into metallic glitter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#23 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

60K and flyin'. No worries here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my Ex a month ago, just made the first payment. I threw on 10,000 miles in that time while towing. No problems here.

I think there's more negative posts being put on the internet vs positive ones. After all majority rules that it's human nature to talk about the bad vs focusing on the good.

I'm certain there is alot of 6.0L owners that are having no problems with their's so they don't seek forums to search for problems.

Granted IMHO, there's a few things I don't like about the 6.0L; such as the restrictive exhaust and EGR; BUT there's plenty more that I do like that the 7.3 didn't come with, such as 2nd fuel filter, inline tranny filter just to name a couple.

-Randy

#24 ·
No matter how far it will go after what the OE says is the rebuild or whatever date. Does anyone actually know what is meant buy the overhaul? It would be interesting to see what they expect at that time. There is no way major things can be out of service life at that time. Anyone know what it really means? Come on, with just general up keep these things should go a lot, lot longer then the gassers.

#25 ·
I with you RMJ_Motorsports, they should go alot longer. We have a 00 F-250 work truck with 335,000 miles on it, a 5.4 gasser, and have had no major problems at all. I have 3 Jeeps and all of them are over 200,000 miles with no major problems. So I will be upset if this truck can not do 500,000 with no major problems. But wait, I have already had the drivers side head gasket replaced at 28,000 miles. All is good now and with the way I take care of my stuff it should last. I bought this as my last truck, we will see.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.