The Diesel Stop banner

4r100 2nd Gear

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Ford F250 4x4.7.3 Stock. I am having a issue were it has a occasional slip in 2nd, not all the time but becoming more often, do I need to rebuild the transmission or is there something else i can check

#3 ·
The dreaded mechanical diode.

Make sure the convert it to the other style.
Don't have them put in another new mech diode

Reactions: Andrew Hubert
#5 ·
You can't even get a new mechanical diode for this trans.

Can I pull the guts out of a 4r100 off a 5.4 and put them all in my 7.3 4r100???
Yes, you can. It will all fit. It won't last long at all, though. The 5.4L parts are nowhere near strong enough to last behind a 7.3L.

#7 ·
Yes, they should. I've never heard of anyone doing this, usually it's putting the guts of a 4R100 into an E4OD, but I don't know of any reason it shouldn't work.

#8 ·
Most of the internals are the same, but not all. There are some sensors on the 4R100 that aren't on the E4OD, so it would follow that the tone rings or whatever the sensor feeds off of wouldn't be there in the earlier transmission. PLUS, a lot of components in the E4OD were aluminum that were upgraded to steel in the later 4R100s. I wouldn't want to go backwards on reliability by putting in the weaker components.

#10 ·
it would follow that the tone rings or whatever the sensor feeds off of wouldn't be there in the earlier transmission.
Oops! I forgot about that. E4OD internals will NOT work in a 4R100.

PLUS, a lot of components in the E4OD were aluminum that were upgraded to steel in the later 4R100s. I wouldn't want to go backwards on reliability by putting in the weaker components.
Yep, that's true, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.