The Diesel Stop banner

Racor water\fuel separator-filter

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  uloadit 
#1 ·
Does anybody use a Racor filter\separator w\heater here? Just want to see if anybody had good\bad experiences with these. Picked one up on Ebay so I could get rid of the Stanadyne one. And are they a pain to install? Thanks

#2 ·
I have been using the 645 with a heater for the past 5 years and I like the unit. I installed it in the location of the stock separator and the only problem that I had was trying to use the filter wrench on it. I solved this by using 8 large washers as spacers between the filter-head and the firewall, 4 on each bolt.

#3 ·
What racor unit did you get? One that bolts on to the original header like the ones here DIS or some other unit like Joe Mc did? The answer may make a difference. I'm running the spin on with drain bowl from DIS and like them. Good insurance since I run biodiesel mostly and buy Diesel#2 when I muist from the cheapest avaiolable source. The fazctory system really isn't adequete especially with the water sep. bypassed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#4 ·
the one I picked up mounts in the same spot the fuel filter is now. I have to bypass the existing separator. Also I have to tap into the wiring for the heater to work. Hopefully the directions will be idiot proof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#5 ·
This is probably teh one I have. I ignored the fuel heater and WIF light deal. Just keep an eye on the drain bowl every couple of weeks. No real need for a fuel heater in Florida!

#6 ·
I think we were bidding on the same item. I was going to buy it as well. I already have the 7.3 filter setup on mine, but liked the one on ebay better I think as it was new, mine was of course used. The 7.3 unit looks pretty much identical and hookups are about the same. You probably already have the heater in the line coming up to the filter head. Just unhook the wire from that and hook it to the new heater. As far as the WIF light, I haven't hooked mine up yet, but started on doing that today. I can't beleive how similar the two different filters appear. My metal bowl, from a 7.3 - 1992, looks exactly like the one in this kit. I just wonder if the filters are even the same, you might check it out as the Racor filters are pricey. The WIF hook up is on the metal base, the heater is on the top.

Great buy, sorry I jacked the price by bidding, didn't know anyone from here was bidding. I am sure it will hook up very easy.

#7 ·
so that was you!I was saying to myself I need it more than this guy;keep bidding.Funny,I was thinking I might have been bidding against someone here. Last time I tried to drain mine it wouldn't close, and let so much air in the system it took me a 20 min to bleed it. As far as the filters go,this one comes with 3, so I won't have to worry about buying filters for a little while.

#8 ·
No, 7.3 and 6.9 filters do not share a common thread size, which was pretty stupid...IMO. The Racors have their own filter. Part # PF811 (new) or INF811 (old) if it's teh same system I'm thinking of. Scott, your system has teh advantage of having parts available everywhere, but seems liek teh Ford/IHC setup has a lot of little pieces which isn't reallya good thing for me.

#9 ·
Yes JD, I know the stock 6.9 and 7.3 are different, I meant quickster's Racor setup and the 7.3, the filters look just like the 7.3 filters.

And as far as the little pieces, I have been warned several times to keep an eye on things for leaks.

#10 ·
I only bid once, and it was at the end. The only thing I did was raise your price, sorry. I did not recognize your ebay user name as anyone from here, mine is different as well, so you probably didn't know either.

I think that setup was easily worth over $100, so I think you still got a good deal. I bought a filter/water separator from the same people as well, it is just an inline that I wanted for another project. I also have a PermaCool inline, filter/water sep. before my fuel pump (Just changed it to a Carter P4594) so that and the 7.3 setup, I don't see water making it to my IP, or dirt for that matter!

I think your new setup will serve you well. My truck pulling neighbor has this setup on his farm truck, and it seems to do very well. You might also keep an eye on ebay for filters when the time comes, having 3, you should be good for a while as you said. I bought two 7.3 Napa Gold (WIX) filters on there for $15 plus shipping, they are about $28 per filter around here!

#11 ·
My Racor #500 cost me $200. The local diesel shop sold them complete with a mounting kit which places it high on the air cond bracket. I also got the water sensing alarm kit with a dash mounted light and buzzer. I got all this prior to a cross country trip just after the big flooding in the midwest back around 93, I think it was.

My brother was working for the fire dept in Coralville IA at the time, he said they filled the trucks after the flood without thinking. They all had water alarms thankfully which saved them.

#12 ·
If quickster and I are speaking of the same kit, which I believe the 3 filters included proves we are, it came complete. It even had the wiring with the correct ends, the bracket to replace the pedastool mounted 6.9 filter, the heater, the water sensor etc. I would guess from pricing individual parts, along with the three filters at $28 per filter, there was about $200 worth of goods there. The water sensor alone was quoted to me at like $45!

#13 ·
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gifi guess i got the first one that was on last week . i put it under my truck as a primary filter and works good !!i like the heater in the head on this one that warms the fuel up going in to the filter rather than the 640 racor that is on the bottom,i tested the heating element and it has a temp sensor in it and turn s on at 40 and will shut off when it warms up ,so this is what i needed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.