The Diesel Stop banner

Truck shakes at 45 to 50 MPH

31K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Jacobysmith1488 
#1 ·
My new truck has had a shake in it since I picked it up. It now has 2200 miles on it. The shake is felt from just over 45 MPH to about 50 MPH. Above and below that it is smooth. I have not had it over 70 MPH so I do not know if it picks up again above that. It does not feel like it is the front end, I don't really feel it in the steering wheel, more like the whole truck. The dealer claims there is nothing wrong with it "all 450 shake like that". I don't believe that for a minute. I thought it might be driveshaft alignment so I checked it and just to experiment, I added a spacer on the carrier bearing. It made no difference so I removed it. I am thinking it is either a tire balance or tire out of round issue, what do others think?

#2 ·
Don,

I would find another dealer to look at it and not go back to a dealer who gives you "they all do it". They are either clueless or for some reason don't want the business. There are a lot of 450/550s running around without a shake. Keep at it.

Robb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#4 ·
I have a 2002 CC 4x4 that does the same thing. New tires, U-joints, carrier berring, Had the shop look through the front end. I replaced all the front-end bushing with aftermarket bushings & still hve the same problem. I really need this fixed before the Father-inlaw rides with me again. (He is on the D-MAX train this year.

#5 ·
Same thing on mine. It wasn't the tires, wheels or rotors. Mine may be the driveshaft needs to be balanced but otherwise those should be the only areas that would cause it. It is very annoying when it happens and almost feels like a cross between the whole truck shaking or hopping.
Sorry, no help but I am still trying to figure it out myself.
I would go to another dealer and make them drive it with you when it shakes, otherwise they will check it on their machines and tell you everything is norma.

#6 ·
Mine did it also 2005 f250 it was bad injectors 2 or 3 of them cant remember at about 45-65 it shook get over 70 and it started to go away

#7 ·
I had the exact same problem, and it probably will not do it over 70 it was a very specific range on mine 44-52mph. Went through two dealers telling me I was nuts. Finally on the third they actually investigated the problem and found it to be a mis-balanced drive shaft they told me it was not far off, but put a new one on and it was a completly different truck. Mine was so bad that I hated driving my truck for the first 5,000 miles. It would vibrate so much it would put my hand to sleep driving in the city. I could hear mine as it vibrated the entire truck creating a sonic type vibration in the cab. Now one new driveshaft and three service depts later I abstloultly love my truck and love driving it. Hope this helps, and I know there were a few others on here that had the same problem, it appears to be very intermettent though. Drive shafts usually do it a high speed, and thats why the first two wouldnt replace it, find a good dealer that will work with you and you'll be all set. Good luck.

#9 ·
I’m having the same problem & I don’t have a diesel either I just have a 89’ GMC S15 Sierra Classic & it’s been shaking only between 40-50MPH & I’ve bought all 4 brand new tires so it can’t be them. I live in California to tho so we have a **** load of potholes to avoid & unfortunately I can not avoid them all so I’ve hit a number of them. It doesn’t shake at any other speed or idle only between 40-50mph. It also hops up & down & shakes too. So idk if it’s bushings or driveshaft or what I need to know so I can fix it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.