The Diesel Stop banner

High Pressure Oil Leak

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  snoeproe 
#1 ·
I noticed on Ford Dr's site, an article on high pressure oil leaks. One of the early warning signs could be longer crank times. My new 05 6.0 Excursion definetly cranks longer than my last 6.0 did.......sometimes as long as 5 seconds. Question is: What IS a normal crank time......and lets assume no block heater plug used, and we can also assume an ambient temp of say, 50 degreees.
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed on Ford Dr's site, an article on high pressure oil leaks. One of the early warning signs could be longer crank times. My new 05 6.0 Excursion definetly cranks longer than my last 6.0 did.......sometimes as long as 5 seconds. Question is: What IS a normal crank time......and lets assume no block heater plug used, and we can also assume an ambient temp of say, 50 degreees.
Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ] I have noticed the later 6.0s will crank slightly longer and that is normal. If you have the high pressure oil leak most will not start when hot due to the leaking fitting at the HPOP. This is only on the 05s and later engines. I have no idea why they went to that POS quick disconnect fitting on the later engines. It is not a fun job to replace it.
FM

#3 ·
Yep, I had that problem. No start hot, but started cold. replaced the quick disconnect and all is well. It took several days in the shop to fix because they had to order parts.

Dave

#4 ·
I'm with you, man! My '05 did the same thing. The crank times gradually got longer and longer until that quick connect fitting finally failed. Boy when it did. However, it was repaired under warranty and I have had no more issues. Mine usually takes longer in cold weather, but, I guess that is the nature of the beast. Hope you have better luck in the future.

#5 ·
i believe i have the same problem.
i am leaking powersteering fluid, as well as engine oil.
brought it to the dealer, they said it was the oil booster pump (which must be the HPOP). i am waiting for a new one to arrive.

#7 ·
yeah.
i tried using the "search" feture on a few website forums, searching for "booster pump" and couldn't find much.
however, as far as i'm concerned, they can call it whatever they want, just as long as they fix my oil leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.