The Diesel Stop banner

Vibration when taking off from a stop

6K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  boggerman 
#1 ·
I tried to find some information on this by searching but could not get a hit. My 06 F250 KR has a moderate to severe vibration or shudder when I take off from a stopped position with my 24' trailer attached. Makes no difference if the trailer is loaded or unloaded. If the trailer is not connected all seems smooth and normal.

Any advice on what could cause this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

#2 ·
Sounds to me like you are squatting that thing pretty much and making your driveline out of line. These trucks are pretty finicky. Also, you are probably experiencing more axle wrap due to the trailer. I know I had one hell of a vibration while truck was stock, I had to lift mine 5.5" upfront and 3" in rear to make it go away.

#6 ·
With your trailer attached I believe your driveline is "out of line" with just the addition of the trailer tongue weight, loaded or unloaded. Without the tongue weight, its just straight enough to not vibrate. I would start with the 1/4" spacer and go from there. My crew cab longbed had the same problem.

#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I tried to find some information on this by searching but could not get a hit. My 06 F250 KR has a moderate to severe vibration or shudder when I take off from a stopped position with my 24' trailer attached. Makes no difference if the trailer is loaded or unloaded. If the trailer is not connected all seems smooth and normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the diff between drive shaft angle and the differential (pinion gear) with an <font color="blue">Angle Finder</font>, also available at Sears, etc.

<font color="blue">Here's some info....</font>good pics on using an Angle Finder to measure the angle.

<font color="blue">Here's how to clock the rear axle (pinion gear),</font> though it shouldn't be necessary if your suspension & drive train was set up correctly.

NO MORE than 3 degrees diff allowed, or pinon gear shudder on takeoff; buzzing vibration 70-80 mph will result.

You may have to shim your carrier bearing, especially if lifted, to get a good driveshaft/pinion angle. Donahoe Racing has a shim kit for Superduties.

Check loaded & unloaded for best results.

A rear air suspension'll allow you to set ride height (therefore driveline angles) the same regardless of load....smooth ride too....replaces leaf springs. Not helper bags. Returns your beast to normal stance with your load attached - good for oncoming nighttime traffic; good for your ride. Excellent mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

Gary

[/ QUOTE ]

Gary
Sounds like you have gotten some good advice. What are different specifics on your vehicle? i.e. 4x4 or any modifications. Since your vehicle is so new, I assume it is still under warranty. Before I tried to fix it myself and had problems, I would get the dealer to try and find the problem. If you try and fix it and can't find the problem and then take it to them after the fact, they will try and troubleshoot what you did, instead of trying to find the actual problem; IMO.
Good Luck
TasMan

#9 ·
You know I have the same thing. I originally I thought it was the trans trying to chatch up to the power of the engine but the driveshaft angle seems a more logical solution. I have the Donahoe Racing Devear spring set up at 5.5" and before I installed my airbags the stuttering was much worse. Me thinks I need to take it to my local off road shop for a look see before I goof something up.

#11 ·
TasMan - It is a 4x4 CC 6.0 short bed. It is completly stock. Yep, I was going to install the air bags but thought better of it until I have it looked at by a dealer. Only problem is I will probably have to go there with my 24' trailer hooked-up that could be a real PITA. I had the air bags on my 02 and really liked them. Thanks for the advise.

Gary

#13 ·
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

Gary

[/ QUOTE ]

My '03 has been doing this since they changed the programming in the tow/haul mode way back in '03. The dealer has tried the shim fix, twice, no luck. This is an ongoing problem I'm still having. I've had three transmission mechanics, non Ford, state that they suspect it is chatter in the clutch packs during the initial take off from a stop when under load. This is what I had also suspected. Ford says no, it's not that, but then can't tell me what it is either.

I know the shims have worked for some. If they work for you great. If not, you likely have the same "no problem" that Ford says mine is.

Good luck and sorry to hear they haven't been able to sort this out in 4 years of trucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

#14 ·
If your truck is stock, I mean no lift kit or other rear suspenion work done then most likely shimming is not the issue. I would look into a axle wrap issue, if you only feel it badly when under heavy load or when you jump on it from a stop. Ladder bars would be an option. Make sure that you have good flat surfaces between your leaf spring and blocks or on your axle pads. I had a 71 K5 blazer with a 4 speed and a 350/350 motor and I rounded the pads and had a bad shake on take offs.

#15 ·
BigOne
Do you have a shudder problem when empty or just when your loaded? Try the airbags it's some what cheap easy to install and you have nothing to loose. I have them on my truck when loaded I put about 45 to 50 psi. Shudder problem goes away. When empty I let the air out. I myself do not like the shim thing.

------------------------
2004 f350 cc drw 6.0 auto fx4 airbags

#16 ·
COOK:

The problem is only when loaded and pulling a good weight. It has nothing to do with suspension squat at all. I have done some tests as follows.

The trailer weights 10,000lbs and puts 1800lbs on the 5th wheel hitch. Pulling away on level ground with moderate acceleration causes significant shudder. If I put 1800lbs of cargo in the truck, there is no shudder at any time under moderate acceleration. I can also pull my 3500lb boat trailer (tongue weight 750lbs) with no shudder under moderate acceleration.

Due to this I don't think air bags are going to help me.

As mentioned above your post, I had also thought it might be axle wrap. However Ford said no that was not it. Though as I don't trust Ford anyways at this point it may well be the problem. However as it is a 4x4 dually, I don't have the option of traction bars as I do go places where they would be a problem.

Still feels to me like it forward of the rear end. I'm still suspecting the trans. As I mentioned before this didn't happen until AFTER the first Ford reprogramming of the '03 where they made major changes to the Torqueshift operation.

Thanks for the idea though.

#18 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The trailer weights 10,000lbs and puts 1800lbs on the 5th wheel hitch. Pulling away on level ground with moderate acceleration causes significant shudder. If I put 1800lbs of cargo in the truck, there is no shudder at any time under moderate acceleration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I see this right? 1800 5th wheel lb causes shudder; 1800 lb in the box not?

Could it be the 5th wheel hitch....

#19 ·
no offence intended but it seems like lots of folks want to jump straight to the mods to "fix" this. Same with adding the bags. Something just dont sound right with the truck. My 5er puts about 2700# on the pin, 05 CC SRW LB, squats like a pig and no has shakes or shutters when taking off. I know it is easier said than done but take it to the dealer and makem fix it.

#20 ·
No it isn't the hitch. If I hook up my buddies 5th wheel equipment trailer and fuel tank that weighs about 4000lbs there isn't anything either on the flat. And yes, you read right.

#21 ·
After three visits to have the issue fixed and having complained about it in writing to the dealer and Ford of Canada, Ford of Canada has expressly prohibited the dealer from trying anything else to fix it and say the following. "This is a normal characteristic of the truck, do not repair". The mechanic has experienced the problem and confirmed it exists. He is also the one who has tried shimming it twice and can't think of anything else. I suggested possible tranny, he called Ford. On the speaker phone he was told, "Do not touch the transmission that is not the cause". Interesting how they can be so sure when they haven't even seen it. Engineering by mental telepathy I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Ford = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif in my opinion on this issue.

#24 ·
Let me know what happens. If you find it isn't "squat" related see if they will look into possible transmission cluch pack chatter? My guys won't as Ford won't let them. Maybe down there you will have a different result.

Good luck!

#25 ·
[ QUOTE ]
After three visits to have the issue fixed and having complained about it in writing to the dealer and Ford of Canada, Ford of Canada has expressly prohibited the dealer from trying anything else to fix it and say the following. "This is a normal characteristic of the truck, do not repair". The mechanic has experienced the problem and confirmed it exists. He is also the one who has tried shimming it twice and can't think of anything else. I suggested possible tranny, he called Ford. On the speaker phone he was told, "Do not touch the transmission that is not the cause". Interesting how they can be so sure when they haven't even seen it. Engineering by mental telepathy I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar experience with a Buick - lemon laws in the US resulted in a hearing - the arbitrator told GM to fix the problem - that they did.

But I haven't looked at GM products since - didn't like their attitude, product quality, or the problem: severe brake shudder 1500 mi after each 'fix,' repeated 3 times. It's been 14 years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.