The Diesel Stop banner

Electric battery "idiot" light flickering

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  PSDfreak 
#1 ·
The idiot light that looks like a battery is flickering on/off. The volt gauage shows good voltage. RPM doesn't seem to effect it. Batteries always have good charge. The alternator was replaced with a brand spanking new one about 18 months ago. Problem is getting worse. I suspect the voltage regulator.

Oh wise ones, what is your verdict?

#2 ·
You read my mind....I would check that voltage regulator...Do you notice any thing feeling amiss in the brake system.

-Casey

#3 ·
I have a problem with the connector at the alternator. it isnt very tight, replaced it and no better. my light blinks once in a while but I think it is that, but dont listen to me, I replace my alt/reg every 6 months. no shorting anywhere, but I have a lifetime warrebty on the alt from checkers, could be the reason it goes out every 6 months, they got junk alt's.

#4 ·
Only thing wrong with the brakes is that they need to be rebuilt! I'll go invest the ~$15 in a new regulator and see if that fixes it.

#6 ·
There's a connector on the side of the alt with 2 wires, one of them provides the signal for the battery idiot light. Mine came loose a while back and I had the same symptom. I replaced the connectors and no more problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#8 ·
Alternator light is controlled by the white/black wire which plugs into the end frame of alternator, also known as the stator lead. If light is on and charging voltage is normal, then this wire is the culprit. That circuit is the same since the 1960s.

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
You read my mind....I would check that voltage regulator...Do you notice any thing feeling amiss in the brake system.

-Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

What would the brakes have to do with the battery light flickering? Hope that question isn't stupid.

#10 ·
vacuum pump...when that pump goes bad the brake pedal is hard as a rock...

-Casey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.