The Diesel Stop banner

Which Excursion doors have switches to light the door ajar lamp/ dome lights?

31K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Steve83 
#1 ·
I have the door ajar issue. My question is this. Does the rear passenger doors turn the dome lights/ door ajar lamp on when opened? Also, does the rear hatch glass or barn doors have switches? On the rear hatch/ barn doors specifically can anyone tell me where the switches are at if there is any?

#2 ·
Hey Hope this Helps I have a F-350 cc and had the same Problem On the F-350 all doors have the switches, To save Your self some Time start with the Drivers door since it is the one that gets the most abuse,Pull the door panel off and peel back the moisture barrier,from the door latch to the handle (about 1/2 way)the switches are at the latch mechanisim,there are 2 wiring connectors at the latch and are a PITA to get to but if I remember it is the Connector closest to the outer door skin,disconnect it first and see if that is the door causing the problem,if not go to the pass, side and try it,but reconnect each one before You go to the next until You catch the Trouble maker.
As far as the tail doors on the excursion I don't Know But I think they Have them to,
I hope this helps

Shawn_O

#4 ·
You have six door-switches in five doors that activate four circuits. Confused? Here's the skinny ... The LF and RF doors are each on individual circuits, the pair of LR and RR doors are on a single circuit, and the pair of switches inside the lift-gate are on a single circuit.

That info is in accordance with my 2001 factory wiring diagrams. Might be different on later models, but I doubt it.

#5 ·
I tried the Odometer trick and it shows each front door open/ shut but not the rear seat doors nor the rear hatch door. Also, the front doors will trigger the dome lights and running board lights but not the rear doors nor the rear hatch. It seems my rear doors and/ or hatch are open maybe. Also, if I just unplug the door switches inside the door does that leave them in a state of registering open or shut?

#6 ·
i just had this problem with my 02x, i replaced the two switches in the rear hatch and problem solved, they are about 26.00 each at ford, u need to remove the trim pieces around the glass on the inside of the hatch, then unscrew each latch and pull it down and change out the switch, the switch comes out by rotating it 45 degrees. the bolts that hold the latch are on the outside of the hatch near the rubber seal that goes around the hatch, you will see what i mean once you get to doing it, hope this helps, scott. here is the part # for the switch, same on both sides 2C7Z-14018-AA

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
do the trim pieces just snap off or any near hidden screws that hold them on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the 2 screws on the pull-handle, all of the liftgate interior trim just snaps in place. Be careful not to pull them off too quickly ... those little metal clips can fling off & fly half a mile. I know ... spent an hour trying to find one of mine.

#9 ·
door ajar jitsu

hello i thought i would post a success with the door ajar thing . after wizzing through posts on the topic i came to the conclusion it was either the driver door or the rear hatch sensor. was the rear door sensor , anyhow cleaning it is the first step i used some stuff for cleaning pneumatic nailers cost bout 6 bucks at home depo wont harm electronics. hose down the switch with the cleaner let it air dry for a few minutes. then use a spray lube dont use wd40 its a solvent cleaner it will evaporate and collect gunk (end up back where you started) . I used some heavy duty silicon spray got from wally world 4 bucks sprayed it fairly well and shut the hatch going on 2 months no further issues . hope that is of some use

#11 ·
Bear in mind that Ford did change those switches later in the model run. You don't hear much about 'em on the newer trucks, do ya'? I replaced all 6 door-ajar in my '01 a few years ago, but have not had a single issue with 'em on my '05. Of course, now that I've said that, I am probably due for the door-ajar gremlin to rear his head in my '05.

#12 ·
All four door latches and both rear window latches

My vehicle is a 2002 Excursion with 7.3 Diesel. You can close your doors (don't lock) and wait for the lights to go out (which could be a while- I don't think it's digital), and then open the door you think has a bad switch. If the lights don't come on, you have a bad switch (for hatch glass, both switches would need to be bad for this to work- if only one switch is bad, the other side will turn on the lights). If you want to disable a switch, unplug it and push a mini fuse into the pigtail. (I used a 20A because that is what I had). I have replaced one switch, torn apart and fixed two switches, and used mini fuses on two. The only original switch that still works is the front passenger door. You could mount an external normally closed switch or toggle switch to a door if you wanted to be able to turn on the lights manually. I opt to open a front door if I need the lights to work for a while when I go to the barn doors. As a note, only the barn door latches don't have switches, so it is the two latches that close the glass that have switches. They are located under the latches. Mine were very dirty and loose, which is why I opted to just install mini fuses. If you do remove the latches, use a T27 bit. T25 will fit if they are really loose, but it is the wrong size.

#13 ·
Just FYI: this thread was 9 years old when you brought it back up. I'm betting he got it fixed, or sold the truck by now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.